Pittsburgh Penguins concept

elliott

Hello again - Don't get all mad that I took Vegas gold out of the color scheme. I have some good reasons for using yellow and light blue:

I used yellow because the first thing that i think of when I hear Penguins is Mario Lemieux. (Crosby second) The next thing I think of is his comeback and that amazing game with something rediculous like 3 points (It was against the Maple Leafs, was it not - yes, I watched it) And guess what the Pens were wearing - white jerseys with bright yellow shoulders. So, yellow has a big part in the home and away jerseys.

I used light blue because it was found in their original color scheme and I think looks pretty good. I know someone is going to say "powder blue is the new black" or something like that, but is it really? Lets see... Thrashers, Avalanche...uhh...I'm out. So it really wouldn't hurt to much to bring back light blue into the scheme.

I really tried hard to make the alternate look like the old black roads (from 98-02, according to sportslogos.net :P ), yet modern, too. Yes, I used the RoboPenguin, but kept the streaking look and got rid of the fade. I used silver a lot with this jersey, and tried to create something unique with the diagonal stripes on one side.

So now I'm done with my essay :P and you can finally take a look

Hope you like these. C+C please!

(BTW I should have a Minnesota Wild design out soon)

penguinsconcept.gif

Your reasoning for your color choice is solid. The problem is, you can reason all day with solid arguments, but if the colors don't work together, they don't work together, no matter how you try to reason it out.

I like the design from the striping point-of-view, but the colors simply don't work together.

Also, the Avalanche do not (and have not ever) used powder blue. There is a rare horrible fan jersey that uses powder blue, but that's it.

The 3rd looks good because it's pretty similar to their old jersey--where yellow is an accent color as opposed to a blinding main color. I actually like powder blue if used correctly, but in this case, when paired with so much yellow, it just doesn't cut the mustard, so to speak.

Could be an awesome concept with different colors.

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

I actually really like this, darken the yellow and blue a little and this would be great work.

The alt.s kinda crazy 4 my taste, but overall, pretty good job.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

If maz1960 were here, he'd say that you should be using more of a "Pittsburgh gold" for these, which has a little bit of orange to it rather than being straight yellow. That said, the blue doesn't really fit, and the third is pretty good if not for Robo-Pigeon. The names and numbers don't fit. The name typeface is too smooth and thin, and the numbers are too futuristic. It's not right for a Steel City hockey club. You should be using a thick and bold athletic block (and so should the Steelers), or if you want to be daring, that cool old-time typeface the Pirates use. That's Pittsburghian too. Me, I'd just go with block, though. Nothin' fancy.

I actually really like the blue. The yellow was overwhelming at first, but my eyes adjusted. The white sleeve stripes look super.

I think I like the alternates. Two criticisms:

I'd rather have a uniform stripe in the back. The front is fine, but, I dunno, I like my backs to be fairly symmetrical.

What's up with the corner triangles? They seem unnecessary.

Nice set.

jman077.png

Sig courtesy of LEWJ

The Avs did use powder blue, when they were the Nordiques.

Ah. So by that logic the Devils used bright yellow? ...when they were the Chiefs and the Rockies?

The below to be updated once the newest banner is raised!
spacer.png

You need to ditch the blue on the home and road set. Also, fix the yellow. TCR's right, you need more of a "Pittsburgh" yellow. Also, a different number font would go a long way. I'm not saying a traditional block font is the answer, just something other then the 80's digital font.

I would like to see the third in powder blue, navy, and white, with the only yellow/gold being the triangle behind the penguin.

The yellow seems a bit overpowering on the primary unis, but maybe that's because this is on a white background. Then again, maybe not. I don't know, perhaps it's just me. I've always like those Penguins alternates, and I think these are fine. The only suggestion I would make is to shorten up that diagonal stripe on the bottom of the jersey because it touches the yellow stripe in the middle of the jersey that goes through the Penguin and numbers. Everything else that needs to be said has pretty much been said.

On a side note: I do prefer the skating penguin to robo penguin/pigeon, but I do like robo penguin/pigeon, I don't know why so many people hate it.

-E.A.R.

You need to ditch the blue on the home and road set.

So what should I use instead?

Just use gold, black and white. The blue may have historical significants, but it was never used with the black and gold scheme. The two schemes don't mesh. Go with black, gold, and white for the home and road sweaters, and go with powder blue, navy, and white for the third.

• 1 month later...

If maz1960 were here, he'd say that you should be using more of a "Pittsburgh gold" for these, which has a little bit of orange to it rather than being straight yellow.

It doesnt bug me that much... okay it does, but just because I just HATE neon yellow

oBIgzrL.png

Archived