Toronto Maple Leafs concept

elliott

It resembles the old Ballard sweaters too much with the shoulder stripes. The modern leaf is fine, I never had a problem with that, but those 80s sweaters just make me think of futility. And Darryl Sittler's hair. The best Leafs jersey was the 1994 iteration.

I like them but as joker said, I think its too modern for an orginal 6 team.

??? Why? because we were the first ones, we shouldn't evlove???

They sure don't perform like the Original 6 Leafs...

If every team was so into their history and tradition they would all had stuck with their original jerseys, and THIS BOARD would have no reason to be. We had be playing Poker online instead of trying to come up with the next re-design.

Enough with that "faux-tradition", let's keep one traditional shirt as an Alternate, or get a Modern Alternate (like the Rangers).

As for looking too much like the Ballard years, this is a DESIGN board, who cares for what people think of that jerk?

Some very nice shirts had those shoulders, for example the Jets.

This concept is very solid. For some reason I don't like the Blue as much, but the white one is very nice!

I was always a fan of the arm's striping, and the added angles make it very modern (which is a good thing for those of us who remember what happened to dinausors...)

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

What do dinausors [sic] have to do with this? The angular stripes make me think of Long Island's orange alternate, which nobody likes, as well as the horrid Maple Leafs of the 70s and 80s.

As for shoulder stripes on very nice sweaters, maybe, but I can think of bad sweaters with them, as well: Boston's current (which compounds the problem by having normal stripes that are only on the shoulders), and the 70s Rangers.

I like them but as joker said, I think its too modern for an orginal 6 team.

??? Why? because we were the first ones, we shouldn't evlove???

They sure don't perform like the Original 6 Leafs...

If every team was so into their history and tradition they would all had stuck with their original jerseys, and THIS BOARD would have no reason to be. We had be playing Poker online instead of trying to come up with the next re-design.

Enough with that "faux-tradition", let's keep one traditional shirt as an Alternate, or get a Modern Alternate (like the Rangers).

As for looking too much like the Ballard years, this is a DESIGN board, who cares for what people think of that jerk?

This concept is very solid. For some reason I don't like the Blue as much, but the white one is very nice!

I was always a fan of the arm's striping, and the added angles make it very modern (which is a good thing for those of us who remember what happened to dinausors...)

So what would you have them do? Piss over almost 100 years of tradition just for the sake of change? The classic Leafs sweaters, right before the '67 centennial leafs change, is what they should be wearing. The Leafs, like the Canadiens, Blackhawks, Bruins, Rangers, and Red Wings are all teams with rich histories. They should celebrate that, not hide it away.

The Rangers did the "modernization" thing right. They kept their traditional sweaters and made a modern one as an alternate. The Leafs and Bruins have it backwards. They have modern (for them) uniform designs with vintage alternates. Both the Leafs and Bruins need to return to their respective classic uniforms, and if they still want a "modern" design they can come up with one as an alternate.

People care because the Ballard logo, and especially the uniforms that it first appeared on, represent the Leafs' darkest days as a franchise. Why would you want the Leafs to wear something that reminds people of years of futility over something that reminds them of the years when the team was one of the league's elite clubs?

So because it looked good on Winnipeg's old uniforms it would look good on a Leafs uniform? Please :rolleyes: . The Canadiens' centre stripe looks great, but does that mean every team should adopt it? What works for one team doesn't mean it will work for an other team.

and the added angles make it very modern (which is a good thing for those of us who remember what happened to dinausors...)

Please tell me what that has to do with anything. How exactly are the Leafs' uniforms going to go extinct? If what Buffalo wears now is the wave of the future then I'm more then happy to see the Leafs stay with an "un-modern" style of uniform design.

Ditch the Ballard leaf.

I completely disagree. The old Leaf logo would really clash with these, but the Ballard-era one fits well because its angles match the angles in the striping.

I actually like this a lot. The Leafs have changed uniforms enough times now that I think tradition can be somewhat thrown out the window (as long as everything stays blue and white). I wouldn't mind if they wore these.

Overall, I like this concept. It works very nice with the logo.

Ditch the Ballard leaf.

Don't completely ditch it. I'd just modernize it.

untitledko1.png

Don't kill me...just having fun...

^ Buffalo Sabres fans are forbidden from making jokes concerning other team's logos due to their team's, um, handicap in that area :P

Two things:

1. I'm a slugger and I'm proud

2. And even aside from the fact that the slug sucks, the fact that the Laffs whooped our @$$es tonight also adds to the fact that I can't make fun of them. :P

What I am getting at, is that because a team has a tradition, it should not stop them from advancing and evolving "Graphically".

People are split on the "Retro trend", so let's keep the creativity going...

P.S.: The more I stare at this concept, the more I like it...

P.P.S.: I grew up watching the Leafs in their darkest years, and always thought their UNIFORM was the coolest, regardless of their on-ice and Front Office performance.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

What I am getting at, is that because a team has a tradition, it should not stop them from advancing and evolving "Graphically".

People are split on the "Retro trend", so let's keep the creativity going...

P.S.: The more I stare at this concept, the more I like it...

P.P.S.: I grew up watching the Leafs in their darkest years, and always thought their UNIFORM was the coolest, regardless of their on-ice and Front Office performance.

Well I don't think the "retro trend" applies to the Leafs. They have almost 100 years of history, if they want to embrace the past and go classic uniform-wise then that's simply respecting history.

Now the Wild's alternate, that's an example of a team falling victim to the retro trend.

I also agree with you about the Ballard-era uniforms as far as design goes. Graphically they're actually pretty nice, and I prefer them to what they wear now (a mix of to many elements that don't mesh well). I even have a white Ballard-era jersey. It looks nice, but it's just to tainted to be brought back full time.

As for this concept, like I said before, I believe the Leafs should go classic for their home and road sweaters, but I wouldn't mind something modern like this (the blue one) to use as an alternate.

Archived