Slam! Hip Hop Hockey League -- part 4.

Eye

Here is part four of the HHHL. Here are the completed teams so far.

N.W.A

P$C

Stones Throw Records <----- Can't say I'm not disappointed about not getting any replies here...

Let's get going.

Introduction: Onyx. Onyx formed in 1989 in Queens, New York. At this time, the group consisted of three members: Fredro Starr, Sonee Seeza, and Big DS. In 1991, Starr's cousin, Kirk Jones, aka Sticky Fingaz joined the group. 1992 saw Onyx's first album, "Bacdafucup" which went 2x platinum. On "Bacdafucup" was the song that the group became notorious for, "Slam" which prompted a sequel, "Slam Harder" on the 2002 album, "Bacdafucup Part II." Onyx also released albums in 1995 ("All We Got Iz Us"), 1998 (Shut 'Em Down), and 2003 (Triggernometry). Onyx's most successful album was undoubtedly "Bacdafucup". Fredro Starr and Sticky Fingaz have also had great solo careers with Starr landing a part on the tv show "Moesha" and Jones acting in several movies and tv shows. Sonee Seeza hasn't really ventured out and gone solo in anything. He never released a solo album or developed into an actor (by his own free will, he CHOSE not to act. Who knows if he had the talent or not.) Big DS sadly died in 2003 from complications of cancer. He was in Onyx since their inception, but was mostly featured on the album, "Bacdafucup".

Well, what can I say. Onyx has a pretty angry logo. A black face with blood tripping from it's left temple. Black, red, and a blue similar to that of the Tampa Bay Lightning are the predominant colors.

The home uniform: Onyx logo on chest. Five stripes on bottom and each sleeve. Yes, these stripes are parallel to the Onyx logo. I did that on purpose. This concept flows so nicely with these contrasting, even stripes. The uniform is black, stripes are white, sleeves are blue, collar is red. Socks and pants have same striping pattern as jerseys. Domes are black, gloves are black and blue and since the unique striping pattern occupies where the sleeve numbers would normally be, I put them on the shoulders. Names are straight white (no outline); numbers are blue, outlined in red. That's pretty much it as far as the home threads go.

The away uniform: These are basically an inversion of the homes. Onyx logo is inverted, stripes on the torso are inverted, but that is all that is inverted. I said this is basically an inversion, but from a design standpoint, the away is a mirror image of the home, just with different colors, colors inverted, etc. of course. Gloves, pants, and collar are the same. Domes and socks of course changed colors, but the names were not inverted. Instead of becoming black, they became blue, just like the number, sans outline though.

The alternate uniform: I dig these like a shovel, folks. These unis have that college ice hockey feel, or that basketball feel, whichever you see. Blue is the primary color here. Onyx is radially arched on the front with the number below it. Just like a college ice hockey or basketball jersey. More conventional: Sleeve numbers now don the sleeves instead of being shoulder numbers which isn't all too common in hockey. The Onyx alternate logo, which I made is the shoulder patch. This logo is different in that there is no blood dripping from the left temple, as opposed to the crest on the primary home and away unis. The striping pattern on the uniform is white/blue/red/blue/white. One could make the case that it reminds them of the New York Rangers pattern. Collars are red, pants are blue, socks are blue with the same striping pattern as the unis (got to be consistent.) The pants also have the same striping pattern as the socks and jersey, again they're on the left leg, just like the primary threads. Gloves are red, white, and blue, which wrap up the alternate home uniform for Onyx.

The numbers? Of course you recognize them. They were the Toronto Blue Jays' numbers from 1997-2003.

Starr - # 1. Jones # 2. Caesar - # 3. Unlike in the previous concepts for the HHHL. The numbers on the jerseys for Onyx don't have any significance. I guess I just did it in terms of the founder of the group, Starr being the first member, Jones (who many can argue has been just as big and popular as Starr (or more), so I guess him or Starr could be interchangably # 1 or 2) being number two, and Caesar being number three. Caesar hasn't really ventured into a solo career, while Starr and Jones have both been successfully as solo acts and on television. I guess Starr is number one because he founded Onyx, but Jones, his cousin could also have the argument for him being numero uno.

C & C of is appreciated of course. So bring it! Thanks.

Primary uniforms:

Onyxprimaryunis.png

Alternate uniform:

Onyxfinalalternateunis.png

-E.A.R.

i really really like these. the stripes on the home and away give off a nice unique look for a hockey jersey and then the third brings it back to traditional hockey looks. I think the third jersey is the best over all, but I think if it was the home and away design and the current home was the third, I would like those better. I hope you get what im trying to say. I dont know how I feel about the pant striping being on one leg, but i think i'll let you stick to it. Keep up these concepts, Im feeling them. As for the stones throw ones: I didnt reply because I had never heard of them before. Should I be ashamed?

i really really like these. the stripes on the home and away give off a nice unique look for a hockey jersey and then the third brings it back to traditional hockey looks. I think the third jersey is the best over all, but I think if it was the home and away design and the current home was the third, I would like those better. I hope you get what im trying to say. I dont know how I feel about the pant striping being on one leg, but i think i'll let you stick to it. Keep up these concepts, Im feeling them. As for the stones throw ones: I didnt reply because I had never heard of them before. Should I be ashamed?

I get what you're saying, bro. I too, was iffy on the pants striping, but I thought it was unique, so I did it. As for being ashamed, ha ha, nah bro, no need to be ashamed. A lot of folks have never heard of the Stones Throw Record label. Some of my friends who like hip hop/rap music haven't even heard of them. Stones Throw is pretty much underground hip hop, which is my favorite genre of rap. I sort of found out about them by accident, I was just on the internet one day and came across them. Here are some links to fill you in on Stones Throw and the four artists I did for that concept:

Stones Throw Records

Peanut Butter Wolf

Madlib

Oh No

Quasimoto

Anway, keep the C & C coming!

-E.A.R.

For some reason I keep envisioning bricks in my head as I view this...

After reading your write-up and looking back at the design, I will say this: based on its own merits, that actually is a really nicely executed design. And I see where the one-striped-leg thing comes from (for anyone else who has a question about that, go find a screenshot of LL Cool J from "In The House"--representative of hip-hop-style trend that never really left his system). Unless it was intentional, the one thing I caught was the TV numbers on the shoulders of the home and away. Other than that, I get a "sonic impulse" vibe from looking at this (sound waves emitting from the angry face--headache, maybe, which is exactly what them brothas gave folks back in the Bacdafucup days--a dose of ONYX woulda banged through anyone's head).

The 3rd/alt just really ain't doin' it for me. It seems a little, too...well...soft for Onyx, IMHO, at least.

(One other little thing: out there floating around somewhere--and I don't know if you use PC or Mac to do your stuff--there is an actual font called "Onyx"--it's a condensed serified typeface. If you can locate it, of it you have it, may not be such a bad idea to play with that a little and see if it helps add a more "roughish" vibe to your creation.)

Oh--and is "Rappleyea" your actual surname? Cuz that just seems like TOO much of a coincidence. :D

Nice work though, all things considered (with this and your other ones).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

For some reason I keep envisioning bricks in my head as I view this...

After reading your write-up and looking back at the design, I will say this: based on its own merits, that actually is a really nicely executed design. And I see where the one-striped-leg thing comes from (for anyone else who has a question about that, go find a screenshot of LL Cool J from "In The House"--representative of hip-hop-style trend that never really left his system). Unless it was intentional, the one thing I caught was the TV numbers on the shoulders of the home and away. Other than that, I get a "sonic impulse" vibe from looking at this (sound waves emitting from the angry face--headache, maybe, which is exactly what them brothas gave folks back in the Bacdafucup days--a dose of ONYX woulda banged through anyone's head).

The 3rd/alt just really ain't doin' it for me. It seems a little, too...well...soft for Onyx, IMHO, at least.

(One other little thing: out there floating around somewhere--and I don't know if you use PC or Mac to do your stuff--there is an actual font called "Onyx"--it's a condensed serified typeface. If you can locate it, of it you have it, may not be such a bad idea to play with that a little and see if it helps add a more "roughish" vibe to your creation.)

Oh--and is "Rappleyea" your actual surname? Cuz that just seems like TOO much of a coincidence. :D

Nice work though, all things considered (with this and your other ones).

The TV numbers are intentional here, Bucco. I put them there because the sleeve stripes occupied where they would normally be. I didn't even think about the sonic impulse that one could see from my concept. Now that I think about it, the striping pattern sort of reminds me of when you throw a rock in a pond and there's that ripple effect from the splash. I tried something different for the third, but mainly, I wanted to inclued the Onyx wordmark. I did not know that there is a typeface called "Onyx", I'll have to look into that when I get the chance. And yes, Mr. Brooks, Rappleyea is my surname. Heck, there's even a street in my town called Rappleyea street. :D

Thanks for the C & C.

-E.A.R.

• 1 month later...

Archived