Big thangs here for "Big D" and the Cowboys...

tBBP

Well wel...after about a good four month layoff (I think), I've decided to delve back into it...only because I've been sitting on this concept idea since I last posted up a concept in this series.

Speaking of said series, here's what's been done already:

Cleveland Browns

Tennessee Titans

Philadelphia Eagles

St. Louis Rams

New Orleans Saints

Seattle Seahawks

Seattle Seahawks SHOCKERS!

New York Jets

Washington Redskins

Carolina Panthers

Pittsburgh Steelers

Cleveland Browns update

So now, here we are, back to big "D".

Before I get started, let me first say that this concept wasn't an easy one to pull off. I took time to study each of the pre-existing Cowboys concepts in this forum, and I've also been paying attention to the C&C following them. I've also been going over and over in my head on how I can best pull off a concept that keeps most if not all of the favorable elements of the Cowboys uniforms while eliminating those that are mostly regarded as unnecessary.

First and foremost, the major thing that most of us could do without is all the blues and silvers. (I mean, to be sure, there's two blues and two or three silvers, one being that silver-green.) Even though this is the team I grew up on (before I discovered there was a team that played in these bright orange uniforms with pirates on the sides of their heads), it never really seemed quite right that they had silver helmets with navy blue stars, white jerseys with regular blue numbers, and pants that almost looked half-green, and regular blue socks (and that was when I was just a tike), and I think most of us would agree. Classical as that look is (it ain't changed in damn near 30 years), aesthetically...to me, it just don't add up. It was rare to see the blue jerseys--unless they were playing the Redskins. And then came the '94 & '95 season, when they had those (IMHO) nice-looking jerseys with (what seemed at the time) those big ol' stars on the shoulders. Didn't know so many years ago that was the look they came into the league with (well, once they were rechristened the Dallas Cowboys, anyway...they WERE to be the Texas Rangers, except there was already an established team in the area wit that name...and that is where the star comes from, along with representing everything Texas, as in the "Lone Star State").

So, in compiling all that info, I set out to craft this concept. I think, amongst most of us here, one of the main things we agree on when concepting for the 'Boys is the use of those classic serif numbers. You know...the ones that just SCREAM "Cowboys" (even though back in the 60s and '70s a lot of NFL squads used them...but Dallas is just KNOWN for them). So that's what I used. I had to fight myself not to put those big stars on the shoulders like the original Cowboy sets (as well as their current alts, replicated from that original set), as much as I like that look. The one thing I DID do, however, and I went back and forth with myself about 27 times, is keep the same sleeve design--that is, the different color sleeves (white on the blue shirts; blue on the white shirts), just to keep the "look". In trying to come up with something new to add to this, I put the TV numbers up on the shoulders and kept the same sleeve striping that are on the current blue jerseys--but with a twist. The stripes are offset, northwestern style, as is the striping throughout this concept. That DOES include the helmet and pants striping, which does represent something of a redical departure from what we've been used to for the past 40-something years. The idea came from big D's star (see how the outer outline is offset, San-Diego-style?). I also used that style with the jersey numerals themselves, just to add something fresh and a little new to the look. One note about the striping and outlines: you may or may not notice that the striping and outlines keep a certain theme; on light backgrounds, the striping and outlines are all blue; on the blue background, it goes white/silver/white.

In this iteration of mine, the home set includes silver helmet, blue shirt (yes, I said it, even though I realize the folks in big D pretty much consider their blue shirts "bad luck") with silver numers offset by white border (to harken back to the '70's and early '90s), and silver pants with blue socks that, this time, include striping. Primary roads? The reverse. As a twist (and something I haven't seen done yet), I added a set of blue pants to the secondary roadie set, along with WHITE socks. Yeah--something new, ain't it? As far as the alt, as much as I would have liked to avoid the "cookie cutter" alternate, that's exactly what I did with this one--silver jerseys and blue pants with "silver" socks (hey, if the Detroit Lions could do it in the late '90s, why can't the 'Boys???).

Overall, I think it looks fresh and new while at the same time retaining historical elements and the overall classical "Cowboy" look, without going over the top. OH--and also, I restyled the wordmark off the Cowboys' 25th anniversary "silver season" logo. Just thought I'd point that out.

Okay...so enough jibber-jabber about it...time for y'all to see it. (Oh, by the way, you'll also notice I made a little change to my newest display template.)

Here it go...how 'bout dem Cowboys???"

DALcowboys.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm not sure how I feel about Grey/silver numbers. It's a good concept all the way around, but as a cowboys fan it kind of scares me straying to far away from what they have now. I like the blue pants though.

I'll have more to say on this later (probably) but for now...

At first glance, this looks like excellent work. There are a few things that you may want to give a second thought to though.

Home

-The white shoulders really (really) stand out as being the only white in the set. Would they look better if they wuz silver?

Away

-The silver numbers on the shoulders - might they look better in white?

Also

- I know you said that on light backgrounds, only blue stripes are to be used. That means that there ain't no white on the helmet, which prompts the question "what'chu got 'gainst white, brah?" Don't get me wrong - the set looks great if I didn't know that it was s'posed to be the Cowboys, but since they fashion themselves as one of the "glamor" teams, they can't be having those "dull" (for lack of a better word - they're certainly not "dull", but... dreary?) duds.

Also 2:

F the Cowboys. F them right in their stupid As. F their cockroach fans too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also 2:

Damn right, skippy.

As to the concept, I really think these need white numbers on the 'home blues' and white on the domes to look complete.

Also 2:

Damn right, skippy.

As to the concept, I really think these need white numbers on the 'home blues' and white on the domes to look complete.

Like the design, but I would say to stay away from the white, stick with it as an accent.

The templet is awesome.... great way to show the work...

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

newlook.jpg

Would have loved to see the white helmets make it in there somewhere with an alt. or special set.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Guest darkpiranha

Are you going to do your newer concepts using the older template as well?

The new template is okay, I guess, but I still like the old template better. Easier to register the whole look and the variations.

Maybe use Receiver Guy/Running Back Guy as an additional element of the overall template, the in-action shot that accompanies the regular elements.

That said, I love what you're doing with this whole project.

Yeah...after not having looked at this for about three days, I can see how maybe white numerals (possibly offset in silver?) might look better with this.

Update to come soon...maybe tonight or tomorrow, if nothing wierd happens later.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

First off, I absolutely love the new template.

As for the concept, I really like it. Love the retro-ness of it. It also has a weird but cool modern vibe to it. Great job.

I think you should really stick with this template. :P

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Here's that update I've ben trying to upload forever (Photobucket recently decided to hate me):

DALcowboys-1.png

Holy :censored:!

By far one of the finest football concepts I've ever seen!

The only thing I don't like is the alternate. Far too much silver goin' on in it.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I was looking at the first concept and something didn't quite seem right and couldn't pinpoint it until you posted the update - the silver numbers on the blue jersey just didn't look right. It wasn't until you posted the white numbers that I realized that.

I like the use of the serif numbers that just scream Cowboys. I can imagine a Roger Staubach jersey on that new template and not have it look odd at all.

I'm curious what white helmets would look like in this set, I think it would look even better than the iconic silver.

For an alt, what about an updated throwback using the same template as the Aikman/Smith/Irvin era, but with your new simplified colours?

stoneraizersig.jpg

Also 2:

Like the Eagle fanbase is in a position to throw stones.

Nice work Bucco....the old serifed numbers OWN.

Man, this is tough. You know you're my boy, and I love your hometown, but you're a Cowboys fan too. I'm feeling so conflicted right now. :blink:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also 2:

Like the Eagle fanbase is in a position to throw stones.

Nice work Bucco....the old serifed numbers OWN.

Man, this is tough. You know you're my boy, and I love your hometown, but you're a Cowboys fan too. I'm feeling so conflicted right now. :blink:

Ah, some of us cockroaches ain't so bad. :P

newsig.jpg

Archived