MLB Concept Series #2: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

mania

Concept #1: Texas Rangers

Ok, although the Angels are basically guilty of the biggest identity thefts I can think of in MLB history, they did win a title in these, so as much as I'd like to see my Rangers retake the red, it's not going to happen(which I kept in mind when I did the Rangers)... but I figured I'd add the L, because they've become the Los Angeles Angels and not the Anaheim Angels. The home cap I kept in the same red they currently use.

homehat.png

For the roads, I decided to give them the navy cap, something that is a little more of a throwback to the Angels heritage, however, keeping the icon used on the homes.

roadhat.png

For the homes, I basically kept them the same. I dropped the grey shadowing off the home logo, added the "Angels A" sleeve patch, and changed the red piping to blue to give the set a little more color balance, since all of the text was red.

homejersey.png

For the roads, I used Los Angeles instead of the Angels font. I kept the same sleeve patch as the homes. Something about this jersey I really ended up liking... but I can't quite put my finger on it. Feels old fashioned, somehow.

awayjersey.png

For now, no alternates or anything, because the red ones obviously look like ass(as you've all seen by now), and I don't think a Navy Blue alt would really work either. I might add a vest in the next couple of days, though.

Can you say lawsuits from the Dodgers?

The Angels will never switch from what the currently have as a cap, as long as the Dodgers exist.

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I like it, even if the hat resembles the dodgers hat (according to a dodgers fan). Your concepts are very clean thus far, and I like them a lot. I look forward to more. This is about prefect for the angels, IMO.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I have to say no to the navy road cap, the navy piping, the sleeve patch, the thinned outlines on the numbers, the absence of a front number, and the cap logo. The LA looks quite forced, and let's face it... it's kind of redundant to bother with a "Los Angeles" script when LA means "the angels" to begin with.

And, I agree with averyj. This is going too far into Dodger territory.

VmWIn6B.png

The Angels will never switch from what the currently have as a cap, as long as the Dodgers exist.

How could the Dodgers file suit when they yanked the interlocking LA from the originial LA Angels?

Anyway, I like these... the Angels name just doesn't make sense without LA.

The lowercase "a" with the tilted halo would be far better, especially on the caps...my brother has a new era fitted with it and it looks great.

CAL-A_2261.gif

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Hat: It looks to much like the Dodgers. It wouldn't fly

Jerseys: I don't like the blue striping. It is another case of the team becoming to close to the Dodgers. The Angels are trying to breakout of the Dodgers' shadow. Being said, I like having Los Angeles on the road unis and I think that if you change the striping to either red or silver, it would look better.

AngelsTitles.png

LAAsig.png

OK. Just OK, and not as good as your Rangers set.

1. CAP LOGO: This will translate horribly to a cap. As LMU said, "forced" is the perfect word - like taking existing elements and editing them just so to achieve your goal. And all of the shadowing looks nice online, but would look wretched when embroidered onto a cap. Also, the highly stylized nature of the monogram looks out of place, given the aesthetics of Swiss's template.

2. HOME UNIFORM: Thin outline on wordmark... thinner outline on numbers... HUGE thick piping all over. Very inconsistent, and very disorienting. Any reason that the player names are straight across, when every team that displays player names uses radial arc lettering? This look like the back of a football jersey or hockey sweater.

3. ROAD UNIFORM: I like the idea, but the execution needs some tidying up. Most of the "LOS" and the end of "ANGELES" will be in the player's armpits. And the other thoughts are similar to what waws said about the home uniform.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

How could the Dodgers file suit when they yanked the interlocking LA from the originial LA Angels?

Walter O'Malley bought the original minor league Angels, giving him and the Dodgers the rights to the logo. They then changed the colors and used it when they moved to LA.

Unless Arte Moreno buys the Dodgers, the Angels don't have that same right.

Awesome concept but it needs an alternate. Also, Ditch the 3d-effect LA on the hat. 2d looks better.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

• 3 weeks later...

Concept #1: Texas Rangers

Ok, although the Angels are basically guilty of the biggest identity thefts I can think of in MLB history...

Actually, the Angels had these uniforms first in the 60s, but simply went with more red in 2002. Thus, they didn't rip off the Rangers at all.

al_1961_losangeles.gif

As for the concept, I like it in general, although the "LA" logo could be better, or simply left as it is on their current caps. I have no problem with the jerseys, except for two things: the two fonts don't match. It's not like they're contrasting, either. One's the correct one that they use now, and the other looks similar, but, well, wrong, for the lack of a better term. I'd also lose the sleeve patch and either come up with a different one, or go without a patch all together.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this was one of the more polarizing ones.

Well, on some things I made some concessions based on you guys' preferences, but on others, I felt strongly enough that I kept some outright, and slightly modified others.

For the hats, I kept the LA's, and adopted full time, an idea I had for the alternates, bringing back the Halos! I changed the road hat back to red, but kept a blue bill, just to give them some difference.

For the jerseys, I eliminated the blue piping in favor of red and changed the names on the back to arched.

homehat2.png

roadhat2.png

homejersey2.png

awayjersey2.png

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=504

What about that logo?^^^... Its the same thing except its a C instead of a L. Personally I think that its a good logo. But this always gets me messed up. In hockey L.A. area teams are good. Basketball there is two teams and I think one either plays in Anaheim or plays in the same stadium as the other one. They have no football team and now its the L.A. Angels of Anaheim. There needs to be some balance. If the team plays in Anaheim then it should be the Anaheim whatever and if they are in L.A. it should be the L.A. whatever. The samething is in NYC. The only balance there is that the knicks and the rangers both play in the same building in NYC. The Islanders....well IMO they should not even be there. The Giants play in New Jersey and in 2009 the Nets will be in Brooklyn. The Devils will be in Newark. Its soo confusing and I think that there should be some rule that helps Limit the confusion. Can someone please tell me why there is no balance and why just because your team is in a certain area that you should be able to have any name you want.

"Cat Eyes" - Josh

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?lo=504

What about that logo?^^^... Its the same thing except its a C instead of a L. Personally I think that its a good logo.

I don't see them suing the Rockies, Mets, Padres, Giants, Cardinals, nor the Nationals.

Why?

Because, they're different letters.

CA/CR/NY/SD/SF/STL/DC≠LA

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived