New Orleans Football

sc49erfan15

Leaving the California schools behind, it's on to the Big Easy for the University of New Orleans Privateers:

NewOrleansFootball.png

-Nothing too groundbreaking with the home and away sets, as there wasn't any single design element that stood out from any of the other sports' uniforms. Think Houston Texans with the jersey striping. The only thing I might need to explain is above the nameplates - that's the sword from the "NO" logo.

-The alternate, however, is something I came up with on a whim borrowing from the baseball team's "N'Awlins" jersey seen here. It's part Privateers, part French flag, and came out looking a lot like the late 1980s NFC Pro Bowl jerseys.

C&C on the whole bit would be much appreciated. Thanks!

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I find the "N'Awlins" thing quite amusing and mildly annoying. I lived there for 17 years and never heard a local say it that way. Locals say "New OR-lens". Anyone from the Crescent City knows that the only people who say it that way are Chris Berman and visitors trying to be cute. It's marketing for one thing (the website for the Greater New Orleans Convention & Tourist Bureau is nawlins.com) and even the online Urban Dictionary starts outs by saying:

"The first sign that you are a tourist is if you pronounce New Orleans as N'awlins."

So it really doesn't make any sense that a local school would put it on a jersey.

You're concept is good overall. It would work better with silver pants (school colors are silver and blue) and if the numbers were on the shoulders with the privateer on the sleeves. The red highlights work well.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

UNO has used N'Awlins in a couple of things. Including a baseball jersey.

Picture%20001.jpg

Yes, I know. The original post alluded to it and that's why I said it makes no sense to me that a local team would have that on their jersey.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I thought they were branded more as UNO rather than just NO, am i terribly mistaken?

Nope you are right, that is what popped into my head when I saw the concept. I like the helmet logo with the sword on the N, but I would change it to UNO (which is what pretty much everyone refers to it as). The uni concept is nice...nothing too fancy, but I like the look. The silver pants and accents were a good upgrade too.

As for the N'Awlins alternate, well, its interesting. I found it pretty funny that UNO has actually used that on a baseball jersey. I guess it could work as an alternate jersey. Great work overall!

AM.gif

Okay, let me say the CONCEPT is great....I like your simplicity here and excellent use of the school colors....good proportions....

On another level...If someone that's a local ever said "N'awlins", they'd get slapped by another local and asked what's wrong with dem. I would be mighty curious to see where a University of No Opportunity (local joke...haha) football team would play, and if Tulane or SLU would be more of a rival (seeing as how 300 people show up to a UNO basketball game in an arena that seats 10,000...kind of the Tulane ratio in the Dome...lol) than a Mississippi team. I am very curious about this and your concept sparked an interesting debate....

Killa.

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

Archived