The finale of the HHHL (possibly/probably) for now...

Eye

Well, it's been a full 16 teams for the HHHL. Here is the final one, Gang Starr, my favorite duo in hip hop. But before we get to the finale of the HHHL, here are the first 15 teams in case you missed one or would like to refresh your memory.

N.W.A

P$C

Stones Throw Records

Onyx

Black Eyed Peas

Flipsyde

Dipset

Jurassic 5

Mike Jones

Swishahouse Records

A Tribe Called Quest

De La Soul

Wu-Tang Clan

DMX

Hieroglyphics

Now before I get going with the usual information, you may remember this Gang Starr set I did a while back. http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...c=46313&hl= Now this set was made for fun, way before I had the idea of hip hop hockey. I also was going to make warm up jerseys similar to how MLB has BP jerseys, as seen in this thread, but that idea was scrapped. I've never seen hockey players in warm up jerseys which is why I ditched that idea. I'll describe the differences between this version of Gang Starr, and the old versions, along with supplying a more in depth introduction of the duo.

Here is the new, improved, Gang Starr version 3.0.

Gang Starr was formed in 1987 and at that time consisted of members Guru (then known as Keithy E. the Guru), DJ 1, 2 B Down, Mike D, and a few producers who helped out, Donald D, J.V. Johnson, and DJ Mark the 45 King. After releasing three 12" vinyl singles on the Wild Pitch label, everybody except Guru left Gang Starr. At this point, Guru was the only member willing to continue under the Gang Starr moniker. Later in 1989, Guru got in touch with DJ Premier (who as that time was known as Waxmaster C.) Primo sent Guru a mix tape, which Guru enjoyed. Guru then asked Primo to join Gang Starr, and the duo has been dropping beats ever since '89. While they are still active, Gang Starr has not produced a new album since "The Ownerz" in 2003. Though they haven't produced anything together, Guru has continued with his "Jazzmatazz" series, along with another album, "Version 7.0 The Street Scriptures" DJ Premier has gone off as well, producing beats for various artists, and is often featured in the title of the song because he is so well respected, i.e. "name of song feat. DJ Premier.". Gang Starr has produced six albums and two compilation albums. The six albums are: "NO More Mr. Nice Guy" (1989), "Step in the Arena" (1991), "Daily Operation" (1992), "Hard to Earn" (1994), "Moment of Truth" (1998), and "The Ownerz" (2003). The two compilation albums are "Full Clip: A Decade of Gang Starr" (1999), and "Mass Appeal: The Best of Gang Starr" (2006). Out of these albums, I'd have to say my favorite is "Moment of Truth".

Home uniform: The home uniform is black, with the Gang Starr crest in white. Name and numbers are white, trimmed in red, while the uniform striping is white/black/red/black/white. I've maintained the same striping pattern on this uniform as on previous Gang Starr concepts. Collars are red, helmets, pants, and socks are black, with both the socks and pants exhibiting a white/red/white striping pattern, unlike previous GS sets where the socks were either solid white or black and the pants had a white/black/white striping pattern. The gloves are black and red.

Away uniform: Colors are, of course, switched around so that white is the main color here, but the GS crest is different then the one on the home and home alternate. The star is now black, and the chain is now red. Striping pattern is black/red/black/red/black, collars are black, and name and numbers are red, trimmed in black. Domes and socks are white, while the pants and gloves stay the same. Compared to GS uniforms of old, these incorporate more red, while slightly toning down the black.

Home alternate uniform: These are red with the same crest as the primary homes, only one difference. The crest is outlined in black so that it doesn't get lost on the red jersey. Uniform striping is black/white/black/white/black, collars are black, and name and numbers are white, trimmed in black. Helmets are red, socks are red with a white/black/white striping pattern. Pants and gloves stay the same.

In these uniforms, the sleeve striping now goes horizontal, there are no nameplates, an alternate uniform is included, names and numbers are now outlined, and numbers are greatly reduced in size. These are the major differences between pre HHHL Gang Starr (versions 1 & 2.0 from the other thread) and these, which I think turned out better.

Miscellaneous: Keith Elam (aka Guru) wears number 87 because he founded Gang Starr in 1987. Christopher Martin (aka DJ Premier) wears number 89 because he joined Gang Starr in 1989. The Ownerz is number 3 on the alternate uniform because Gang Starr released their sixth album, "The Ownerz" in 2003.

Why hip hop hockey? Because hockey uniforms give me the most creativity, and I think can have the most creativity out of all uniforms. See TB Lightning storm alts, Anaheim's Wild Wing uniforms, Phoenix's uniforms from 1996-2003 etc. I think that if it was hip hop baseball, I think the creativity would have gone away real fast. If anyone recalls I did about six or seven MLB concepts in a roughly or two or three month period (I did about nine or ten teams, but only posted seven) and I stopped doing my entire MLB redesign because many of the designs have similar aspects. Perhaps hip hop football? Nah, I suck at football concepts. I have only done one in my life, and I never posted it. Perhaps hip hop soccer? No, because I would have to completely redraw logos, badges, shields for all teams and that would have taken too long. I know I drew my own (N.W.A's police badge alternate logo and a few others), and redrew many of the logos for the HHHL, but in looking at various soccer uniforms, the emphasis seems to be on the sponsor, not necessarily on the team, which usually places their logo (badge, shield, or something else) on the left breast. For the HHHL, I wanted it to be about the rappers, not necessarily any sponsors (though I certainly do not have beef with soccer uniforms, mind you.) Maybe hip hop basketball... Now, getting back to the creativity factor, I think that basketball supplies the second greatest amount of creativity in a uniform of the five teams I mentioned (with football being #3, soccer #4, and baseball #5.) Look at the Toronto Raptors 1995-99 uniforms, Houston Rockets 1995-2002 uniforms, Vancouver Grizzlies 1995-2000 uniforms, 76ers "Starburst" uniforms, Suns "flying sun" 1993-2000 uniforms, I could list more, but you get the point. Now some of these designs that I've mentioned (or didn't mention) were bad, but some were not. However, I've only done one b-ball concept in my life and figured hockey would be my forte. Anyway, at the time, there wasn't really a good, clean b-ball template out there, other than the vector ones and I know I ain't got the cash to dish out for illustrator. So hip hop hockey it was.

Basically, the purpose of the HHHL was to combine two things I enjoy, ice hockey and rap music. Also to broaden my own liking of rap, finding new songs and artists as I researched each team and which team to do. While broadening my own taste in hip hop, perhaps I broadened yours too. If so, then hey, I'm all for that. If not, then hopefully I supplied some concepts that you enjoyed. Now I know I only did sixteen artists, groups and have barely scratched the surface as a whole, but I feel that I should stop now. I've had my fill of the HHHL for a while and will say that it is more than 50/50 that I'll continue this project. As for suggestions, throw 'em out there, perhaps you'll see them in the future.

Constructive criticism as usual. Thanks to all who have supplied it during this concept series. Now I know I'm stopping the HHHL for now, but again, it may be back. Keep your eyes peeled. :D

Here are the Gang Starr uniforms, my favorite rappers in the game, which is why they were last. :D

Primary uniforms:

GangStarrprimaryunis.png

Alternate uniform:

GangStarralternateunis.png

-E.A.R.

Thats too bad this is over now

I was looking forward to a Snoop Dogg one with a Penguins-style jersey since he wears alotta Pittsburgh stuff in his videos {he is a Steelers fan}

in fact, he wears a pens jersey in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PVlqQcyTXg

{along with a homestead grays shirt [negro leauge team from a pittsburgh suburb]}

reguardless, amazing series man.

oBIgzrL.png

Once again, another solid job. This entire series has been great, and probably one of the most enjoyable projects I've followed along with on the CCSLC. From top-to-bottom, it's just been great.

Maybe you can do a sequel sometime soon? I can still think of doing some more classics like Death Row, So So Def, Organized Noize, Shady, Aftermath, 50, etc. But other than that, grrrrrrrreat job.

Favorite: Dipset (even though I freakin' hate that click.)

Least Favorite: Mike Jones

Now that I done got myself caught up on your project here (been gone for over a month)...I'll just make this all-inclusive: there were some of these that kinda left me wondering, but then some (like this latest) that really made me sit back and go "hmmm...that's pretty tight there kin!". And I certainly do applaud your creative aplomb here. Take something you love, mash it together with something else you love, and BAM!--out comes a series like this. (That was also the creative recipe behind my Airline Football League Concept Series...which, by the way--GASP!--I just may very well be resurrecting sometime in the near future...but you didn't hear that from me! :D )

Takes a good amount of time and thought--and planning--to churn out an idea like this, and then make a whole concept of it. So reach on behind yourself there and tap ya palm back there on ya shoulder blade a couple times there, playa.

HOWEVER...I DID notice one GLARING omission...no love for the greatest group of all time, OutKast??? I'm sure that crossed your mind at SOME POINT during the making of this series...or at least I hope it did. That crown logo just be BEGGIN' to be stuck up on front of a hockey jersey. (OH--and for those who may not have known...Big Boi himself designed that logo...while Andre 3000 designed and/or was the creative mind behind every one of OutKast's album covers and CD art...all except the first one, Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik, and the last one, Idlewild, which was more a joint effort between the two. Just a lil' bonus info for y'all out there. ^_^ )

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

A great improvement over the original Gang Starr uniform.

Thanks, yeah I thought so too, especially with a greater emphasis on red and the adding of outlines to the numerals and letters.

Thats too bad this is over now

I was looking forward to a Snoop Dogg one with a Penguins-style jersey since he wears alotta Pittsburgh stuff in his videos {he is a Steelers fan}

in fact, he wears a pens jersey in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PVlqQcyTXg

{along with a homestead grays shirt [negro leauge team from a pittsburgh suburb]}

reguardless, amazing series man.

Funny, I remember seeing that video a month or so back and seeing Snoop in a Penguins jersey. I also saw a highlight of him at a Ducks game. I think that Snoop might have some hockey in him, and if the HHHL continues in the future, there will be a Snoop related uniform.

Way to go out on a high note. I really like these, especially the stripes, really creative! I've enjoyed seeing all of these!

Thanks, kewp. I think that the stripes add to the hardcore image that Gang Starr shows in their songs with the beats and raps.

Once again, another solid job. This entire series has been great, and probably one of the most enjoyable projects I've followed along with on the CCSLC. From top-to-bottom, it's just been great.

Maybe you can do a sequel sometime soon? I can still think of doing some more classics like Death Row, So So Def, Organized Noize, Shady, Aftermath, 50, etc. But other than that, grrrrrrrreat job.

Favorite: Dipset (even though I freakin' hate that click.)

Least Favorite: Mike Jones

I'll agree with you on the Mike Jones part. As I was doing team Mike Jones, I realized about halfway through that this one may not fly. A sequel is more than 50/50. Thanks for the kind words.

Now that I done got myself caught up on your project here (been gone for over a month)...I'll just make this all-inclusive: there were some of these that kinda left me wondering, but then some (like this latest) that really made me sit back and go "hmmm...that's pretty tight there kin!". And I certainly do applaud your creative aplomb here. Take something you love, mash it together with something else you love, and BAM!--out comes a series like this. (That was also the creative recipe behind my Airline Football League Concept Series...which, by the way--GASP!--I just may very well be resurrecting sometime in the near future...but you didn't hear that from me! :D )

Takes a good amount of time and thought--and planning--to churn out an idea like this, and then make a whole concept of it. So reach on behind yourself there and tap ya palm back there on ya shoulder blade a couple times there, playa.

HOWEVER...I DID notice one GLARING omission...no love for the greatest group of all time, OutKast??? I'm sure that crossed your mind at SOME POINT during the making of this series...or at least I hope it did. That crown logo just be BEGGIN' to be stuck up on front of a hockey jersey. (OH--and for those who may not have known...Big Boi himself designed that logo...while Andre 3000 designed and/or was the creative mind behind every one of OutKast's album covers and CD art...all except the first one, Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik, and the last one, Idlewild, which was more a joint effort between the two. Just a lil' bonus info for y'all out there. ^_^ )

Well, your Airline Football League did inspire me to create this project, bucco. To me, it's just about using the ol' noggin to create things. Like really reaching back and thinking about every possible aspect and angle to create something that can potentially look really nice. I know I omitted some groups, and I probably should have done someone else in place of Flipsyde, but I did like them A LOT last year. Since then, ehhh, not as much as I used to. Dang though on OutKast, but of course they'll be included if I come back with this project. I also want to do a Nappy Roots concept because right now, them and Gang Starr are my favorites. I guess I sort of fluctuate when it comes to my favorite artists based on recent releases and the such, as i'm sure others can relate.

Take a bow man.

Great project.

Always room for a sequel though. :)

(bow) You know it. More than likely a sequel will come, just a matter of when (and sort of "if" I guess.) Thanks.

Thanks for the comments, all. It's greatly appreciated.

-E.A.R.

way to go out, for now. these are among my favorites for this great series you've put together for us. i'm still hoping for that D12 concept as you already know...i think you could do alot with it, oh and maybe a Cash Money Records concept...that'd work. anyways, nothing bad to say about these jerseys, they just feel right. all i have to say is ENCORE!!

p.s.- Nappy Roots? do they even put stuff out anymore? i havent heard from them in a minute.

way to go out, for now. these are among my favorites for this great series you've put together for us. i'm still hoping for that D12 concept as you already know...i think you could do alot with it, oh and maybe a Cash Money Records concept...that'd work. anyways, nothing bad to say about these jerseys, they just feel right. all i have to say is ENCORE!!

p.s.- Nappy Roots? do they even put stuff out anymore? i havent heard from them in a minute.

Well on Nappyroots.com/ it says that they came out with their new album, "The Humdinger" in March, but on The Wik it says that "The Humdinger" is coming out in Summer 2007 so I don't know. Thanks for all your C & C throughout this series, eRay.

-E.A.R.

Archived