Rebranding the NHL: Florida Panthers

GFB

Rebranding the NHL

New York Islanders

Boston Bruins

Ottawa Senators

Atlanta Thrashers

Anaheim Ducks

Sorry this took so long! I've been so busy with starting college, I had to take a break from logo design...

Alright, I know I said that the Devils would be next, but it's still a work in progress. So instead of waiting, I'm going to skip it and go to the next team: the Florida Panthers.

The Panthers have always had solid logos, but they have always been lacking certain elements that keep them from being one of the best sets in the league. So I went to the drawing board and tried to fix all of the problems I saw. The new primary contains curves, not the straight, jagged lines of the old one. The secondary remains pretty much the same, with only a few slight changes made. The new tertiary is an interlocking F-P, with scratch marks. Finally, a brand new custom wordmark.

Florida Panthers Logos

Florida-Panthers-logos.png

Here is a side-by-side of the new and old primary logos.

Florida-Panthers-sbs.png

I was very dissapointed in the Panthers new uniforms. I was always a big fan of the red jersey. So I brought it back as the primary, with the navy alt. The home and away features a shoulder yoke and horizontal stripes. The alternate is a simplified version of their new away jerseys.

Florida Panthers Uniforms

Florida-Panthers-Uniforms-1.png

C&C as usual...

Next will be the San Jose Sharks. Devils fans just sit tight for a little longer..

GFB

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The redesigned primary logo was definitely in line with what the team should have done, the new wordmark looks great, the jersey designs are definitely very solid and would make the team look good, but I don't like the Tertiary mark, especially when one that looks just like it was used in Anaheim's.

The redesigned primary logo was definitely in line with what the team should have done, the new wordmark looks great, the jersey designs are definitely very solid and would make the team look good, but I don't like the Tertiary mark, especially when one that looks just like it was used in Anaheim's.

I realized that, but it was all I could come up. Also, I went back and scrapped the AD logo for Anaheim. None of you would have known that, but that's why I ended up doing the Panthers logo in a similar manner.

Sorry, I should have clearified that from the beginning...

That update of the logo is very slick. Very modern looking. I love the new alternate logo you made. The jerseys are nice too, probably what they should be wearing. Another great concept. By the way your template is great, too.

Edit: switch the yellow and blue on the white jersey.

Nice, welcome back. This concept is excellent through and through, and the modernization of the logo is something the cats should've done a long time ago. I agree with elliott on switching the yellow and blue on the roads. My one problem with this is that i've never liked the sun/palm tree alt logo. I know that represents 'Florida' but it would've been nice to see something completely different.

Can't wait to see your Sharks concept!

espnsignq8.png

This looks great, but the new panther looks like the baby of the old one. I think its eyes kind of make it look too "cute", because they are so round.

Exactly, EXACTLY what I was going to say. It looks like a little pansy cat now, and its all because of the eyes!

S80-81-82-83_zpspmeyx5vh.png

200px-Nassau_Coliseum_logo.jpg

Uhh, I don't see what you're saying...

The eyes look the exact same as the old one to me. Maybe the curves give it that feel, but I don't think it is the eyes. Nevertheless, here is a panther with different eyes...

Florida-Panthers-sbs2.png

No, its definately the eyes and theres a HUGE difference between yours and the original.

Notice how the real logo is very square, and the top of the eye is a dead straight line, yours have many added spikes which give a much more rounded, and therefore, cutesy feeling

S80-81-82-83_zpspmeyx5vh.png

200px-Nassau_Coliseum_logo.jpg

No, its definately the eyes and theres a HUGE difference between yours and the original.

Notice how the real logo is very square, and the top of the eye is a dead straight line, yours have many added spikes which give a much more rounded, and therefore, cutesy feeling

I would call that the shadowing around the eye, not the eye itself. Still, I don't think the curved eye shadowing makes it look "cute".

Keep the C&C coming!

Excellent logo update. It's too bad the Panthers didnt think about updating the logo during this recent uniform change.

As for the cutesy eyes... I see it a little as well. I think you just need to make the eyes a little more flattened (less round), almost like the panther is squinting a bit as it attacks. That would reduce the babyish look.

Overall though, it is much, much cleaner.

Great job!

Uhh, I don't see what you're saying...

The eyes look the exact same as the old one to me. Maybe the curves give it that feel, but I don't think it is the eyes. Nevertheless, here is a panther with different eyes...

Florida-Panthers-sbs2.png

I have to agree with the general consensus.. When I first saw the updated logo, my first reaction was "awwwwww.. cute widdle guy".

However, this tiny little adjustment you made works wonders towards minimizing that.

Archived