Most Painful Sports Memory

NJTank

Last year there was a thread of everyone describing what was their most painful; sports memory I could not find the original thread so I'm starting it again

Mine is easy mine is now, I honestly don't know how Ill be able to believe in my team again because of it.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Super Bowl XXXVI, specifically the last second figgie.

1a. 2003-04 NFC Divisional Playoffs: Carolina @ St. Louis. That Steve Smith TD in double overtime is scorched on my retinas.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

1. Super Bowl XXXVI, specifically the last second figgie.

1a. 2003-04 NFC Divisional Playoffs: Carolina @ St. Louis. That Steve Smith TD in double overtime is scorched on my retinas.

Oh man... I'm a season ticket holder, along with my grandpa, we were chasing the Rams and Pathers down the field while each team attempted to kick multiple field goals to win the game, and then BOOM! that touchdown... I saw it coming from the moment the ball dropped into Smith's hands. It WAS pretty painful.

All-in-all, it was a pretty exciting game. It probably took about 10 years off my life, all those hot dogs and moments where my heart stopped. :P

#1. 1999-00 Atlanta Falcons season. That year SUCKED, especially after going to the Super Bowl the year before.

#2. Mike Vick goes down for 12 games in 2003-04. Also meant the jettison of Dan Reeves, which was when the coddling of Vick began.

#3. Losing NFC Championship game to the Eagles in 2004-05. Idk why but even though I knew we had little-to-no shot of winning that game, that's still THE ONE AND ONLY football game I've felt depressed over. I rooted for the Pats in the Super Bowl just because I couldn't stand the Eagles at that point.

#4. Losing 34-0 IIRC to the Rams on MNF the year Vick went down. That was probably the most embarrassing moment I've had as a Falcons fan, besides...

#5. The Misadventures of Mike Vick.

#6. MSU losing to Tennessee in the SEC Championship. Like #3, another one of those "knew we were gonna lose, except still didn't see it coming." types of games, but I wasn't depressed over it.

#7. MSU just starts sucking all of a sudden for Jackie Sherrill's last 2 years.

#8. Atlanta Falcons collapse in 2nd half of 1980 Divisional Playoffs. I wouldn't be in this world until 1988, but watching this on NFL's Greatest Games had me HEATED. That Falcons team seriously looked like it should've gone all the way.

Why do I root for football teams that, for the most part, give me more grief than joy? I guess it makes the joy worth it.

Well Im gonna have to do some explaining but here is the single moment to define it.

bartman.jpg

Although, Im currently pulling for the Brewers, the Cubs are my second favorite team. When I first started watching baseball, around 4 years old...the brewers were in the American League, so I could root for both. The Cubs were the closest NL team, and when the Braves left, the Cubs became the team of many here...including my dad. When this happend I was at hockey practice recieving updates from my dad who would go to the bench every now and then...when I got off the ice I learned the Cubbies had pissed away the lead. The next game I had to go to my mom's volleyball game and was listening to the game on the radio...when they lost i was in tears.

brewerssig.jpg

The Mets collapse has been pretty painful to watch. Also gotta include

-Suffering through the Islanders in the late 90s

-Jets 2005 AFC Divisional Playoff Game vs. Pittsburgh

-Some high school sports games here at my school

-2003 ALCS Game 7

-Notre Dame-USC 2005

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Last year there was a thread of everyone describing what was their most painful; sports memory I could not find the original thread so I'm starting it again

Mine is easy mine is now, I honestly don't know how Ill be able to believe in my team again because of it.

Watching you melt down over the Mets is going to be my most painful sports memory. :D

BB52Big.jpg

"Ohhhhh!!!! OWENS! OWENS! OWENS! OWENS! HE CAUGHT IT! HE CAUGHT IT! HE CAUGHT IT! HE CAUGHT IT!"

And knocked my Packers out of the '98 playoffs just as regulation time expired.

The infamous "4th & 26" play vs. the Eagles in the 2003-04 playoffs is a (very) close second.

CCSLC signature.png

Watching you melt down over the Mets is going to be my most painful sports memory. :D

Really? I've kind of enjoyed it.

Mine are pretty basic:

1. Buffalo Bills lose to a forward lateral against the Tennessee Titans

2. Buffalo Sabres lose to Brett Hull's skate in the crease

3. My last year as a Yankees (and baseball) fan ended as the team lost to the Arizona Diamonbacks in the 2001 World Series. This was especially painful because of the attacks of 9/11/2001 and my dog had just died, and I was looking for good news.

4. Syracuse Orange lost in the first round of the NCAA Tournament two years in a row, 2005 and 2006. However, this is tempered by SU's AWESOME run through the 2006 Big East tournament.

And Tank, it's been said a zillion and a half times, but you really need to lighten up about all of this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Really? I've kind of enjoyed it.

And Tank, it's been said a zillion and a half times, but you really need to lighten up about all of this.

I meant painful in a root canal kind of way.

BB52Big.jpg

Well, at first, I thought this was going to be, literally, our most painful moment as an athlete, which would obviously be when I got hit in the bare face by a slap shot in a men's league game in February. Broke the nose, blood everywhere, the whole nine yards.

Anyway, my most depressing moments as a fan are:

-April 13th, 1997: Last Hartford Whalers Game

-2003 ALCS: Aaron !@#$% Boone

-2005 Boston Red Sox Season

That's about it....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived