NFL Monochrome MADNESS!

tBBP

This thread is an off-shoot of a strange turn of events that's been going on in my Weekly Rants & Raves thread in this same forum...the discussion of what I like to call "mono", in this case the dark monochrome. Some like it, more hate it, many will debate it, and a few are quite elated at this latest change in NFL "fashion", if you will.

SO...with all that being said, let's take a deeper look into the dark mono "craze", shall we? (And we'll see how many people vomit in the process... :D )

..Okay, so we all know that in 2002, both the Buffalo Bills and Seattle Seahawks introduced new uniform looks. While initially the dark tops were to be paired with white bottoms, somewhere along the line, both team went mono on us for their home games. And it is somewhere in that season that most people believe the dark mono bug was created, and went sweeping through the league, damn-near like a plague, because that same year, we saw another team do the dark mono thing (and end up looking like something out of a tube of toothpaste in the process), then the following year, things REALLY got crazy.

Here's the breakdown of all I've collected so far. (And btw...for those of you just now tuning in, I now have established a concurrent thread in the "Concepts" forum for all "monos" the NFL squads haven't shown us yet...enter at your own risk!!!)

********************************************************************************

Okay, so we all know about the Seahawks and the Bills:

t1_alexander.jpg

11900696.jpg

And, since we're staying with a dark/navy blue theme right here, I think this year, more than ever, we've seen this look and had it burned into our brains:

364876.jpg

Of course, we've also seen this look trotted out quite a few times--I call it Gang-Green for REAL:

77972016.jpg

Oh, but wait...there's MORE!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And, of course, we all know about the whole all-black thing, especially considering the rather high level of resentment for it...

...This one I call it the "Blaguars" look:

player_introductions_12.jpg

In recent years (and I believe they did it before the Blaguars), we've seen the all-black look from the Ravens, as well:

51695078.jpg

Now...true, an all-black look might lend itself well to a team named after a bird that IS all-black, with feather edges that turn kinda purplish when reflected in light, but this look here, to me, could be rendered a good bit better than it is currently.

I think the same can be said for THIS all-black look, as well:

72907997.jpg

However, THIS all-black here I can actually live with:

2006-07-25-vick-topper.jpg

This one, however, different story:

gameday051127.jpg

Oh, but wait...it gets BETTER!!! Stay tuned...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

The funny thing about that all-black Bengals look is that when they pulled that stunt in '04, with the new jungle-era unis, it wasn't the FIRST time. The first time I can remember them having done that was with the PREVIOUS-era uniforms, during the last game of their 2003 season, against the Cleveland Browns:

2834555.jpg

Okay...so has everyone had their daily fill of black-on-black??? :D

Okay...well then, how about some color?

Cardinal, for instance?

Well...here's the previous Arizona "Bloodclot" look:

36.jpg

And here's the "newer, more updated" Arizona Bloodclot look:

a0fd65d2-8f3f-4ffa-aeac-88f2f9160c4.jpg

How's that make your blood curdle, people? :P

Hey--remember that tube of toothpaste I alluded to earlier in the first post? I was referring to what I called, upon seeing it the first time back in '02, the "Aqua-fresh" look (thanks for reminding me of this look in the other thread, Flame):

14-c.jpg

52241693.jpg

Had enough dark mono yet? Oh, no you haven't...because there's MORE!!!

Ha-ha...you thought it was OVER! Oh, no it ain't...

...There have been other, more rare occurences of dark mono throughout the league (mostly in between the '02-'04 timeframe).

That Aqua-fresh look rolled out by the Dolphins actually occurred three different times. The two images above were the two most recent--against the Eagles in '03 and the Browns in '04. The first, however, was in '02, against the Bears, who, interestingly enough in that game, went all-white. So...imagine that--the team with one of the absolute best uniforms int he league up against the toothpaste squad.

OH BUT WAIT...even the BEARS weren't immune from the dark mono craze. Anyone remember THIS look that first debuted in 2002?

72921505.jpg

They also rolled this look out again in 2006 (and I see someone up above damn near had psychic power in knowing where I was going next with this thread--CRAZY!), against the same opponent, the Packers, with the same result: a loss. Hmm...I think the St. Louis Rams should know a little something about bad luck in dark mono.

OH SHOOT...SPEAKING OF THOSE RAMS...

ARI_First_64582.jpg

Yeah. And since we're BACK on the navy blue trip, how about this look here--truly "Darth Vader"-esque:

2670175.jpg

So...does everyone now see how the dark mono bug kinda swept through the NFL during about that three-year span from 2002-2004?

Of course, I guess it REALLY didn't start there. IF one has as keen a memory as I do, one MIGHT be able to trace the roots of this whole dark mono thing all the back to the archaic days of 1997, when, I believe, we saw the first dark mono look since the uniform snafu of the Minnesota Vikings over two decades prior--except this was no snafu. It was PLANNED. And who woulda thunk it...that the dark mono bug was planted, all the way back in 1997, by, of all teams in the NFL...

...the PHILADELPHIA EAGLES???

241791.jpg

241789.jpg

Betcha all forgot about that one, didn't you???

Well...now that I've singed more than a couple retinas, you guys are welcome to have fun doing what you do with all of this stuff I've provided here.

HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

OH wait...before I go, this is just because...

...THIS ONE RIGHT HERE is a special treat for Paul Lukas and other hallowed members of the PAP Coalition (People Against Purple):

YOUTHFOOTBALL.jpg

You can't hate on a bunch of kids, can you??? :D

The Eagles also went all green against the Redskins at least one other time. I cannot for the life of me remember which season though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't mind the monochromes that much. And I prefer color to no color. I can not stand white on white unless a team wants to make it their look. Then again I am also a soccer fan so I don't see a problem with color.

Something that has always irked me though is a team that's primary jersey is also the same color as their helmet and then pair it with white pants.

What color were the Dolphins pants when they had the orange jerseys? If that was orange on orange that would be pretty bad...

The 'Fins wore white pants both times that I can remember them having worn the "coral" jerseys...with "coral" socks to boot.

Visual?

2756794.jpg

Mono is ok for one game, but not all the time. At least when teams such as the Bills do it, they somewhat offset it with different color socks. I might be able to tolerate a team like the saints if they used gold socks. The fact of the matter is, for me, the mono is ok for a game, but doesn't beat their normal look.

KISSwall09.jpg

Wow Brandon, thanks for the history lesson. I always wondered what combos were used and were not used. Though I could have sworn that the Redskins have used the maroon on maroon combo and the Texans have used navy on navy.

I don't know how much time you have, but I think if you photoshopped every team in the NFL into color monochromes, it would be very interesting to see which teams would actually look good. I think an all-black Panthers and an all-red Chiefs would be swallowable......

Wow Brandon, thanks for the history lesson. I always wondered what combos were used and were not used. Though I could have sworn that the Redskins have used the maroon on maroon combo and the Texans have used navy on navy.

I don't know how much time you have, but I think if you photoshopped every team in the NFL into color monochromes, it would be very interesting to see which teams would actually look good. I think an all-black Panthers and an all-red Chiefs would be swallowable......

First of all, don't ever use my government name in a public forum ever again! (Nah, just messin...half these folks already know it as is.)

Secondly...I DID forget about the Texans. Something told me there'd be one team I'd slip up and forget about. Ah well...I guess as long as it's the newest NFL team, then I'm alright, eh? :D

As far as the Deadskins, if they've EVER gone burgundy-on-burgundy, at least since I've been alive, then I haven't either seen nor heard of it. I will do some research into that, though...

As far as your proposal...how do you know I'm not ALREADY working on something similar to that??? HINT HINT...

(And by the way, is there such a word as "swallowable"??? Guess so if your name's Heather Brooke... :P )

My least favorite monochrome look...

BRADY16.jpg

Beat ya to it, Bri! ^_^

It was worn twice in 2002...against the Broncos and Packers...both losses...and thus, this combo hasn't been seen since.

In retrospect...I guess they weren't that bad. I dunno...I wouldn't complain if they showed up once...but that's it.

Archived