Baltimore returning to O's jerseys

gueman

According to the Baltimore Sun the Orioles have filed the paperwork (on time) for the change.

Orioles take steps to return 'Baltimore' to road uniforms

Source: Team has filed paperwork with MLB to make change for '09 season

By Jeff Zrebiec

Sun reporter

7:21 PM EDT, May 31, 2008

After 36 years, it appears as if the city's name will make a return to the Orioles' road uniforms.

The Sun has learned that the Orioles are in the process of filing the required paperwork with Major League Baseball to add "Baltimore" to their road jerseys, replacing the nickname of the club that has adorned the away uniforms since 1973, according to a source with knowledge of the plans. The uniform change would go into effect for the 2009 season.

Several Oriole officials declined to comment the past couple of days when asked about the development. Because of its potential effect on current jersey sales, the league encourages organizations not to discuss potential uniform changes until after the season. However, teams are required to notify MLB of their plans to make changes by the end of May, and the Orioles have done that.

"Even if there was a change and we had wanted to announce it, MLB rules would prohibit us from doing so," said Orioles director of communications Greg Bader, who declined to confirm or deny the Orioles' uniform change.

The organization has not had "Baltimore" on their road jerseys since 1972, when then owner Jerold Hoffberger had it removed in favor of the team's nickname. The decision, which came about a year after the Washington Senators moved to Texas, leaving the nation's capital without a professional baseball team, was widely viewed as an attempt to cast the Orioles as a more regional entity, and attract the Senators' fan base.

Even before the Montreal franchise moved to Washington after the 2004 season, fans were calling for the return of "Baltimore" to the road jerseys. They contended the Orioles' failure to make the change was proof that the club had lost touch with its most ardent and local supporters.

Current owner Peter Angelos, who bought the club in 1993, has been sharply criticized for not addressing the issue. However, he was the driving force behind the decision, according to the source. Neither Angelos nor his son, John, the Orioles executive vice president, returned calls this week seeking comment on the team's uniform plans.

The Orioles considered making the change last year, notifying the league last April of their considerations. However, they didn't file the necessary paperwork.

Of the 30 professional baseball franchises, the Orioles are one of five who don't have their city or state name on the front of their main road jersey. The others are the Los Angeles Angels, St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies and Tampa Bay Rays. However, the Rays, who changed their uniforms for this season after removing Devil from their nickname, have said publicly that plans are in motion to add "Tampa Bay" to one of their alternate road jerseys.

jeff.zrebiec@baltsun.com

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great news.

Amen to that.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I thought for sure I'd be the first to post this. I guess that is what I get for getting my news from an actual newspaper . . . printed on actual paper.

Either way, I still won't be convinced until I hear an official announcement instead of reports from "sources with knowledge of the situation." I have always been in the "I don't have strong feelings either way, but this is such a simple gesture that the Orioles should do it" camp. However, I will be excited if/when it becomes official.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

By Jeff Zrebiec

Sun reporter

Of the 30 professional baseball franchises, the Orioles are one of five who don't have their city or state name on the front of their main road jersey. The others are the Los Angeles Angels, St. Louis Cardinals, Philadelphia Phillies and Tampa Bay Rays. However, the Rays, who changed their uniforms for this season after removing Devil from their nickname, have said publicly that plans are in motion to add "Tampa Bay" to one of their alternate road jerseys.

jeff.zrebiec@baltsun.com

Add Milwaukee to that.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Good to hear...

....though at first when I read the title I thought it was going to be Baltimore returns to "O's" jerseys, meaning they'd go back to the ones w/ "O's" on the left chest...which IDK if they ever actually existed or I've just seen a concept or whatever. Either way, this is a good day for Orioles uniforms in the end--if true.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I thought for sure I'd be the first to post this. I guess that is what I get for getting my news from an actual newspaper . . . printed on actual paper.

No that is what you get for having a life! I was stuck home last night while the lovely wife had a girls night out! :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

No that is what you get for having a life! I was stuck home last night while the lovely wife had a girls night out! :D

Translated...They went to see "Sex and the City"

I was thinking last friday night, they should switch to an orange alternate jersey while they are at it. It would look alot cooler IMO and would also maybe encourage more people to wear orange (which would held when the bandwagon sox fans come to town <_< ). They are supposed to wear throwbacks at the next friday home game. Hopefully they are orange and we'll see how they look.

I was thinking last friday night, they should switch to an orange alternate jersey while they are at it. It would look alot cooler IMO and would also maybe encourage more people to wear orange (which would held when the bandwagon sox fans come to town <_< ). They are supposed to wear throwbacks at the next friday home game. Hopefully they are orange and we'll see how they look.

I'd like to see them throw a bone to the home fans and make an orange alt or something that also says 'Baltimore' along with the new roads. I know traditionally you don't wear the city name at home but I don't think the fans would mind after waiting all these years for 'Baltimore' to return to the road jerseys.

mets.png

Archived