UMBC Football

sc49erfan15

Back in action, following Belmont, I present to you the Retrievers of University of Maryland-Baltimore County.

UMBCFootball.png

I really can't tell you where I got the idea for the striping and whatnot, but I just went with it and liked the way it ended up. The side striping is somewhat reminiscent of the Charlotte Bobcats, but I didn't realize that until I was finished with it.

I've heard a lot of people calling for UMBC to upgrade their logo - I actually rather like it. I think it's one of the few instances where a "realistic" logo can work. I'm also a sucker for unique, locally-relevant nicknames, so "Retrievers" is awesome, in my opinion.

Overall, I'm really happy how this one turned out - what do you guys think?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I like this. It works perfectly for a school like UMBC, which has always been a bit of 'underdog' in my minds.

But, I thought red was one of the school colors? See, I thought there would be some red in there.

This is a great look. UMBC should launch a program just so they can use this design. While it is certainly modern it is not garrish or forced, even the stripe detail works. Curious to know about the helmet stripe detail since you don't post that, is it white-yellow-black-yellow-white or did you just go

white-yellow-black? I like either way but for some reason prefer the later unbalanced stripes more.

In an unrelated note I think you should add links to your previous efforts along this line as I recall several were fantastic. Also are you taking requests?

Giving this a bump, would like to have a few more opinions on it...

Seadragon, red is officially a school color, but it isn't used on any of their uniforms.

edward, with any of my concepts it's assumed that the helmet striping is symmetrical...if it was asymmetrical, I'd make note of it. Thanks for the compliments - in the past, every few concepts I would post a link to the previous ones, and I'll be sure to make next time one of those times. I'm taking requests, but larger, more well-known D1 schools that have had athletic success get priority. I also have to have the school's vector logos, and those can take some time and cunning to acquire. Don't hesitate to make requests though, I just can't guarantee that they'd come to life any time soon.

I dig this. It's got a very sort of Hamilton Tiger-Cats vibe going on. Really dig the yellow helmet ? was pretty much expecting black. The side paneling is great too. All I could think to add is maybe the dog logo on the sleeves. Nice work.

On the white jersey, the under side of the shoulder stripe is yellow, but the top of the side panel is black - how is that possible? Same with the yellow jersey.

Other than that, this is one of my favorite concepts of yours. I'd find a way to make the shoulder stripe on the black jersey yellow, even if it meant going with a solid white side panel - I just think the white stands out (not in a good way) too much. Also, make the collar and cuffs match on all of them. Gold or white on the black jersey, gold or black on the white, and black on the gold.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On the white jersey, the under side of the shoulder stripe is yellow, but the top of the side panel is black - how is that possible? Same with the yellow jersey.

Other than that, this is one of my favorite concepts of yours. I'd find a way to make the shoulder stripe on the black jersey yellow, even if it meant going with a solid white side panel - I just think the white stands out (not in a good way) too much. Also, make the collar and cuffs match on all of them. Gold or white on the black jersey, gold or black on the white, and black on the gold.

The shoulder stripes and side panels aren't meant to be connected. I haven't been illustrating the shoulder stripes on any of the concepts just for simplicity purposes - it's intended for the shoulder stripe to stop in the armpit, and the side striping to start under it, if that makes any sense.

The collar, cuffs, and side panels are also purposefully done that way. I was actually surprised you were the first one to bring it up. Notice that everything below the "break" or color change in the shoulder stripe is the same color as the bottom shoulder stripe, and everything above (except for the TV numbers) is the same color as well.

Black jersey: white "top" shoulder stripe, white collar, white name / yellow "bottom" shoulder stripe, yellow cuffs, yellow UMBC, yellow numbers

White jersey: black "top" shoulder stripe, black collar, black name / yellow "bottom" shoulder stripe, yellow cuffs, yellow UMBC, yellow numbers

Yellow jersey: black "top" shoulder stripe, black collar, black name / white "bottom" shoulder stripe, white cuffs, white UMBC, white numbers

If anyone thinks it would help the effect I was trying to go for, I could try changing the TV numbers to the "appropriate" color as well.

Oh, and the white side panel is the one split in half on all jerseys so that theoretically, every jersey could be worn with every color of pants (ala the 1970's Pirates) and not interrupt the pattern. Hopefully, the fictional coach of the fictional UMBC football team would never subject us to these fictional uniforms being worn gold-on-gold, but black-on-black and the white jersey/gold pants combinations might be worn sometime for fictional prime-time games or something.

Whew, that took a lot of explaining. If you still think it sucks or should be adjusted though - by all means, keep firing stuff at me.

• 2 months later...

Archived