College Football Concepts

-(dp)-

Seeing that MSU made another small change to their uniforms inspired me to try a concept for them. Other than a bad experiment in the early 2000's, they have always had fairly simple, traditional looking uniforms. I think the addition of the pants stripe this year made the uniforms look very nice, but there are still a few problems, the biggest being the wordmark size and placement. It is way too low. With the basketball team being far more successful than the football team, I tried to take a couple elements from their uniforms. The largest change I made was the addition of silver. The basketball team includes silver in the uniforms, so I thought I could try it with the football uniforms. I also used the wordmark that appears on the basketball, which just reads 'State' rather than 'Michigan State.' I made it smaller than the current wordmark. On the jerseys, I added a silver outline to the numbers. Without the larger wordmark, they looked a little plain, so I added stripes over the shoulder. There is thin silver trim on the pants, jersey, and helmet stripes. Let me know what you guys think of these. I also have Arizona and Virginia concepts nearly done, which I will probably post tomorrow.

MSUconcept.png

The next team I decided to do a concept for was Arizona. What they have now is not good, and they used to have some pretty unique uniforms. I don't know why they changed so drastically. I based my concept on the unique ones I just mentioned, which are right here. I really liked the striping, but I didn't like the unstriped blue pants. Also, the sleeves looked kind of empty. What I tried to do is take the striping idea and modernize it. I kept the number font they use now (which they did use with a version of the uniforms I posted also.) I made the jersey striping over the shoulder instead of the cuffs, and moved the numbers to the sleeve. I made blue pants that match the jersey, instead of the unstriped ones, and added a red alternate, like they currently have.

ArizonaConcept.png

This next one, I just decided to have a little fun with, it probably won't be accepted as well as the others. Virginia has kept pretty much the same look for a little while now, with a few minor changes (changed the color of the V on the jersey, took TV numbers off, and I think added a small wordmark, I could be wrong, though.) However, while Thomas Jones was there, the uniforms were a little less traditional. So, since they don't have a really long tradition with their uniforms, I decided I would try something a little different with them. Yes, there is piping, which many of you hate no matter what, but I went with it anyways. The stripe up front of the jersey that goes toward the shoulder is supposed to resemble the swords from the logo. because this is a little bit busier of a design, I took the stripes off from the helmet, and kept the pants simple. I originally had the sleeves on the white jersey blue, but it was too much, so I kept them white.

VirginiaConcept.png

The team I did next has a unique color scheme, but umm... they don't use it. It is Indiana. They could look so much more unique if they used cream with the crimson. As it is now, they look like an Oklahoma clone, but my goal was to change that. Obviously, the main change is the addition of cream. The stripes on the helmet, jersey and pants all have cream stripes on them, and there is a pair of cream pants. It is set up so that there is always one crimson stripe, bordered on both sides by the cream. This wasn't a huge change, but I feel it is an improvement over what they currently use.

IndianaConcept.png

Now, by request, I present to you the Missouri Tigers. The main problem with their uniforms now, are the mismatching golds. I matched them again, using the old gold from the helmet. I couldn't think of much to design the uniforms around, because the older uniforms didn't have a lot to them, and the newer ones use another Nike piping template. The other day, though, Brandon Odis mentioned how unique the diagonally split, two-tone sleeve cuffs were. I decided to build on that for this design. I changed the collar to match, and added a pants stripe that also uses the two colors, split that way. The numbers match the helmet logo/striping, using gold numbers with a black outline, and also an extra white outline on the homes. I also added sleeve numbers.

Mizzouconcept.png

Now, one of the suggestions for which team to do next was North Carolina. There have been quite a few UNC concepts on these boards, and they all had one thing in common: argyle. I also did, but in a different way. I went the way of Hawaii's newest uniforms, with the light pattern they have on the sleeves. I used the argyle, and used colors that are just slightly different than the jersey color, so it has the effect, but isn't overdone. This is also included on the pants. The main striping includes no navy blue. Only the names and logos are trimmed in navy, for legibility.

UNCConcept.png

Of the suggestions, one that stuck out to me was Pitt. I think they could have much better uniforms. The main thing that bothers me, is the black. Black has no place in an identity that also includes navy blue, the black in the logo and numbers is just not needed. I changed up the helmet logo, to get rid of the black, and include white. I made the numbers to mimic the helmet logo, and switched the home numbers to white with a gold drop shadow. The stripes are kind of a modernization of these ones (mainly the bottom two stripes, enlarged), similar to the way the Packers changed their striping pattern, by getting rid of some of the stripes. It keeps a little bit of the look from the older ones, while not looking too dated, or at least that is what I was going for. I added stripes to the pants, that are similar to the jersey stripes.

PITTconcept.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like it. It's not over-the-top or anything and it looks far superior to what they'll be wearing. The only thing I don't like is the basketball-style "State" logo. I never really liked it.

I like these a lot as well....I'm all for simple, traditional looking uniform sets...I like the addition of silver/gray...It's not overdone...My only complaint is the size of the main pants stripe...I would make it a tad bit smaller...Other than that, looks great...

pwmhshpbanner.gif

pwihshpbanner2.gif

Making the most out of the time given by the judges' stalling in the apprentice, eh? :P

Yeah, I was having withdrawals a bit. I needed to design something. ^_^

Thanks for the comments so far guys. Tomorrow I will finish and post the Arizona and Virginia concepts that I planned on finishing tonight.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Nice job on these. I like the MSU one a lot. I'd prefer those to their current set.

And the Arizona set is good too. I really like the white helmet. But something about the stripes seems weird to me. When the stripes are on the red and blue jersey and pants it only looks like two stripes but on the white it looks like three. I'd say maybe get rid of the white stripe on the white so there are two stripes like the others. But then that would mess up the helmet stripe too, idk oh well. It looks very sharp as it is.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

MSU:

I really hate the whole "STATE" thing. I know that it's something they use in other places, but just think if every State team just put that on their uniforms? Personally, I'd much rather see MSU rendered in the same style as STATE.

AZ:

Excellent. I really like how the shoulder stripes and pants stripes are consistent regardless of the combination. That's really good attention to detail. However, the front numbers are too big. Shrink them down!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

AZ:

Excellent. I really like how the shoulder stripes and pants stripes are consistent regardless of the combination. That's really good attention to detail. However, the front numbers are too big. Shrink them down!

You are right. They should be good now, I think.

Virginia has been added. I plan to keep doing these, (at least in between Apprentice challenges) but I don't know what team I should do next. Any suggestions?

MegatronSig2.jpg

Archived