Colorado Rockies

McCall

I started working on a Rockies' concept, last night, that I had been thinking about. Right now I'm just posting the primary. I'm working on refining the hat logo, of which I have 2 different ones I'm contemplating; an interlocking 'CR' and just a 'C'. I'll then do uniforms, which I've kind of began on. Anyway, I have 4 options here for the primary, with the differences being the color and outline color of the "Rockies" wordmark within the logo. I'll let you guys decide which works best.

Rockies-Primaries.png

The options (clockwise from top left): purple outlined with silver, white outlined with silver, white outlined with purple, and purple outlined with white.

Critiques, comments, opinions, top secret information, post what you want. Thanks.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like these a lot. bottom left is my favorite. my only criticism is the composition of the mountain. it looks a little unnatural with the center in back and each set of peaks one layer in front. some variation would be nice. its a great font too. is that custom?

The mountain does not look good. The shading makes it look like it's on a piece of paper that's folded in half, and the shape isn't right.

The text is great - I like the squaring of the traditional westerny font. When applied to the jerseys, I would recommend that you make it much thinner. As for the colors, purple outlined in white is the way to go.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

its a great font too. is that custom?

I started with Tapeworm and just went crazy altering it. So it's more customized than just custom.

my only criticism is the composition of the mountain. it looks a little unnatural with the center in back and each set of peaks one layer in front. some variation would be nice.

One of the reasons I wanted to run it by you guys. I kinda like it as is, but wasn't quite sure if I did it right. I will try and fix it according to your recommendations.

I like what you've done with the Rockies wordmark. Is that a font, did you manipulate a font, or is that all yours from scratch? If it is a font I'd love to know what it is. The only problem I'd have with that font is that it reminds me of both the Angels and the Rangers, but I could overlook that since they're in a different league. The purple with the white outline pops most and I'm wondering if the "colorado" shouldn't be white also. I can see the argument for it not being as you might want to push it back some, so if that's the case then keep it silver. I'm not so keen on the mountains as it gives the look a minor league feel. It's good, but minor league-ish. Maybe have a baseball diamond behind it with the bottom half underneath the wordmark being the diamond and home plate on the bottom and the top half being a snow-capped peak. As far as the cap logo goes, just try the "R" as no one in major league baseball uses it.

I agree about the rendering of the mountain, it's too predictable. The type is beautiful, I would go with the bottom right, mainly because of what is going to happen when the logo is on a black or purple background. If every part is dark, you will have readability issues. Take the logos, put them on different color background, and shrink them down to a half inch. Then you will see which option, white or purple lettering is the best.

Dude...I ain't never known this here before...but you got some serious talent.

For all I do with uniform and template designs, logo design is NOT my forte, AT ALL--SO, props for this here...this is really, REALLY nice.

I agree with others in that the mountains seem a little unnatural...may want to look at widening out the base of the mountains. Oh--and the white "ROCKIES" outlined in purple is probably your best bet. As for your logo, I see you have silver outlines on all those...I say (at least for backgrounds that ain't purple) outline the whole thing in purple--after all that pretty much is their "primary" color (and I use "primary" VERY loosely here). As is, there's not enough purple in the logo. (For what it's worth, the entire Philadelphia Eagles logo package has that same problem with their midnight green...nowhere near enough of it used.)

I'm LOVING that custom wordmark, there.

Here's one more thought: how about radially arching the "colorado" as well? And, to sorta add to the whole "mountain perspective" look, I'd look at perspective-distorting the main wordmark, as well--that is, widen out the bottom a lil but keep the radial arch...sorta kinda make it seem as if you're "at the base of the mountain looking up"...hope that makes sense.

Overall...I'm liking it. Let's see where this goes!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Great, great, work. I love it. I'm not bothered by the mountain rendering at all, really. The text is the best part. Bottom left or top right is the best by far.

I'm in agreement with every word Chestnutz6 said.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Wow, I was not expecting this kind of response. I figured the font was gonna get criticized. Thanks everybody. Brandon, coming from you, that was a huge compliment, because I've always felt you to be one of the premier artists here (not to say anybody else's compliments and opinions are of lesser value. I appreciate them all, even the criticisms. It's what helps an artist grow and improve.)

I have an update for the primaries. For those who felt the mountains were too "unnatural", I didn't really know what you guys thought I should do with them. Or, at least, I don't have the internet at my apartment, so when I was updating last night, I kinda had to wing. I'll probably copy and save all the comments that give a suggestion on how to improve them. But I did kind of simplify them, so let me know if these are in the right direction or if I need to take another avenue with them.

I really was floored by the reception to the lettering. As I mentioned before, I took the font Tapeworm, and just started altering it. I looked at .jpegs I had of the Brothers font for some guidance. I love that font, but I didn't necessarily want to use it here. I mainly looked at the 'R' because the 'R' in Tapeworm is so oddly done, I needed a reference on how to make it look better.

Anyway, here's some updates. There's twice as many here, ones with and without the shading on the right side of the mountain, and the same lettering combinations to go along with each way. Brandon, I had thought about skewing the texts to go with the "flow" or perspective of the mountain, but was hesitant because I didn't want it to look so much like the Colorado Springs Sky Sox, their Triple-A team. I ended up doing it, kind of by accident, although it's not as pronounced as the Sky Sox, so I'm happy with it. Thanks for suggesting it. It got me to try it, and I'm please with the results. I hope others are too.

Okay, here's the updates. This is still not finished, unless everyone (or most) here picks one of these and says, "That's the one. Stop there". :D

Rockies-Primaries-Update_1.png

Regarding that font, you did a great job. I thought i recognized the name, so i checked it out. nice vision. i would have never thought to put the western points on a pedestrian font like that. the mountains look a lot better. the only thing really bothering me is the black slab that colorado sits on....maybe some sort of banner/ribbon instead? great job. i want to see some unis!

Archived