NFL Prototype Helmets

Bmac

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's one that I posted about the Saints a while back. I took this pic from the teams HOF located inside the Superdome in their 'Locker Room' exhibit. It was a prototype black helmet they wanted to have based on the pre-season 1969 version that the NFL denied the team to wear including when they pushed for these. Apparently and thank Mr. Tag's, he deemed the Saints helmet iconic being it the only other helmet other than San Francisco to use gold and said that it would not be in the best intrest of the NFL to have the team change it.

helmet.jpg

I know that there are several nfl prototype helmets out there and I am trying to collect pictures of them. If you know of any please help me out.

Here is what i have so far:

Minnesota Vikings:

vikeswhitehelmet.jpg

Atlanta Falcons:

falconsprototype.jpg

New Orleans Saints:

saintsprototype.jpg

Fixed, hopefully.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Philadelphia: I don't know if there is an actual picture of this but I was told by a designer at NFL Properties that when the Eagles went to midnight green they were contemplating a logo switch to something more patriotic but the colors were maroon, silver and dark green.

Jacksonville: As everyone knows, the original helmet color was to be silver

Rams: I don't know if this was one of those "fashion" helmets but at the NFL offices, there is a Rams blue on blue helmet - the rams' horn is dark blue - almost midnight blue and the shell is a metallic lighter blue.

Cleveland - metallic orange helmet with brown (depends on lighting) also on display

Lions: The idiotic, cartoonish lions head was once considered.

Atlanta: White helmet was discussed at the beginning of the franchise - '67.

Houston Texans: As everyone knows when the franchise was born a white helmet was displayed. Somewhere, I have the feeling there is a silver version and a red metallic version.

What if, with all the helmets from all the teams that have played, you could use an old helmet design to update a look, what would you use?

Personally, I think the Ohio Glory (WLAF) would have been perfect for the Eagles (use green and silver) or New England (use navy instead of royal). My changes are:

Ohio Glory for Phila or NE

Jets logo from 80s, 90s used on white helmet

New falcons logo on metallic red helmet

New Broncos logo with older colors (then again, the Austin Wrangles of the AFL had a pretty good logo that could be used as well)

This old UniWatch article has some links to pics of prototype helmets:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/070816

I also found these old Patriot designs at Getty Images awhile back:

Pats design #1

Pats design #2

Were those some of the proposed designs that were shown during halftime of a Patriots game back in 1990-91 or so that were booed by the crowd?

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Do you remember - I think it was '78 when the Pats when the Pats went to red pants that the Pats had fans vote on a new logo? It was similar to the one they have today. It was a preseason game against the Raiders and both logos were displayed on the field at yes it as called this Schaffer Stadium.

I've always been partial to his one:

AltBucsLog3.jpg

Love that the orange is one of the dominant colors.

I absolutely love that color combination.

Infinitely better than what they have now.

I like the logo better, but I don't think the helmet is better than the Pewter helmet they use now.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've always been partial to his one:

AltBucsLog3.jpg

Love that the orange is one of the dominant colors.

I absolutely love that color combination.

Infinitely better than what they have now.

I like the logo better, but I don't think the helmet is better than the Pewter helmet they use now.

There's something I really like about the white helmet.

The white helmet with the red facemask has a really nice, fresh look to it, IMO.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I know that there are several nfl prototype helmets out there and I am trying to collect pictures of them. If you know of any please help me out.

Here is what i have so far:

Minnesota Vikings:

vikeswhitehelmet.jpg

Atlanta Falcons:

falconsprototype.jpg

New Orleans Saints:

saintsprototype.jpg

I don't think the Vikings white helmet was a real prototype; I think it was just a fantasy mini-helmet someone did up to see a what a "reversed" color scheme would look like. I've never seen evidence that Riddell (or anyone else) made up a real one as a prototype.

The Falcon's white helmet exists; Helmet Hut has one up on their website - it is a Kelley clear-shell with a Dunguard mask. They were never used, but it exists as a salesman's sample.

I also wouldn't call the Saints black helmet a prototype; they actually wore them during the preseason in 1969 for a few games (maybe all 6 that season). The NFL made them go back to the gold helmets because they didn't inform the league office in time. There wasn't as much merchandise back then, but everything that was available (pennants, kid's "letterman" jackets, etc.) were based on the helmet design.

Archived