76ers going back to old logo and uniforms

Ripper

Here is the (breaking, really) news:

Kate Price, Sixers? Vice President of Business Operations, told yesterday to a group of season ticket holders in a fan forum that the franchise will be switching back to the old logo and the old 1982-83 uniforms (white/home, red/away) starting from next season.

http://sixers4guidos.wordpress.com/2009/01...o-and-uniforms/

This logo:

5961.gif

rocketsCBSig.gif

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a terrible idea. The NBA will keep recycling, and like so it's popularity will continue to decline. Why even bother 'updating' when most teams just fall back to the lame looks they wore in the 70's and 80's. It's a new millennium for a reason, and man there really is nothing wrong with the Sixers' current look that they've donned since the late 90's.

At this rate, they should just designate all Eastern Conference teams to wear red, white, and blue, while leaving the Western Conference to wear navy, light blue, and gold.

About time! The current Sixers logo with the black and gold is brutal on the eyes.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I was a fan of the uniforms worn by the 76ers in the mid-90s during the Jerry Stackhouse-era.

These ones --> stackhouse_170.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

The way people around here are always going "[insert team here] should go back to..." I'm surprised half the board hasn't ejaculated at the sound of this.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is not a surprise. The only incling of the current identity is what you see on the players and on the floor. That's it. Every advert has the old logo and old uniforms. The scoreboard even displays the old logo -- even when the team is wearing the current uniforms.

I agree with the fact that the uniforms are, well, a little bare. But you can also say the same for Boston's uniforms, and everyone thinks they're timeless. Same with the Yankees and Red Wings. I'm not badmouthing them, mind you, but I've never really been a fan of the current identity -- I think there's too much going on at once.

In the end, I think the 76ers are meant to be red, white, and blue. I too am a fan of the mid-90's look that they had when Iverson started, but it doesn't sound like they're going in that direction.

philly.png

But the thing about the Celtics, Red Wings, Lakers, Yankees---they never jumped the bandwagon. They stuck with what they had, without changing anything due to what was trendy. Creating their own classic, timeless look. They stayed true to their roots.

The Sixers on the other hand dumped their classic look for oh, about a decade, and are now deciding to switch back because they see that that's what's 'in', that's what is 'trendy.' In my opinion, that's how you lose your supporters. The Sixers are a mediocre team anyway. Their look is the least of their problems. Switching back to the colors of your glory days sure won't make you play like the glory days.

There should be a law that no identity changes...or expansion teams identifications, can include red and blue as their primary colors...I swear its so annoying!!

I almost shot myself when the Hawks switched on me! Even though I think the Hawks uniforms are sharp as hell!

temp.png

The Sixers on the other hand dumped their classic look for oh, about a decade, and are now deciding to switch back because they see that that's what's 'in', that's what is 'trendy.' In my opinion, that's how you lose your supporters. The Sixers are a mediocre team anyway. Their look is the least of their problems. Switching back to the colors of your glory days sure won't make you play like the glory days.

I agree. And I also will add that I think that this has to do with the nostolgia surrounding the last Spectrum game in March.

But I don't know. This has been creeping in for the last couple of years... I can't say that this is a surprise.

philly.png

Does anyone know how much it costs to create a new logo in the NBA? Could that be one of the detriments, in some cases, as to why teams do not create new logos altogether? A few recent examples: Hawks, Nuggets, Bucks, Raptors, and Wizards.

What a terrible idea. The NBA will keep recycling, and like so it's popularity will continue to decline.

The NBA's popularity is declining because people believe the games are fixed and the quality of play has deteriorated.

It's a new millennium for a reason

What?!? Semantically, this doesn't mean anything! The reason it's a new millennium is because of an arbitrary solar calendar system that we've all agreed to follow. What does that have to do with what the Philadelphia 76ers wear?

I don't know. The old stuff was a produt of the '90s and really not terribly good. Too much black, too many gradients and comet-trails and whatever. Is this ideal? Probably not. Is it better? A little. But I dobut the 76ers' popularity, nor the NBA's popularity, is going to wane because the 76ers got rid of their ugly uniforms and replaced them with mediocre uniforms.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ok you're right about the millennium part. All I meant by that was that Philly left their classic look and bought into a mid/late 90's trend of having a 5 color palette and a more dynamic logo. Whereas teams like the Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, Yankees, Red Wings, all stayed true to their roots. And here again, the Sixers are just jumping a bandwagon, the throwback trend that we've seen for the past few years. Except they want to make it permanent. It's stupid really. I for one love the Sixers current look. I like the jerseys they wore from 98-02. And the current Sixers logo is awesome.

I'm hoping they "update" the logo, whatever that means nowadays, and "update" the uniforms also. I'd like some uniforms based on the old look, but not identical. Like Ian said, they jumped the bandwagon on their own look, going back to it now seems a little fraudulent. I'd say keep some piping from their current look, add in some details from the old look, baby you got a stew going. I just got a current uniform, Black, signed by Sam Dalembert, and they look pretty nice in person. I think something can be brought in from both looks, as long as Black, Gold, and Silver stay out.

Archived