ScottySprings' 1000th Post Project

scottysprings

Alrighty then, it's time for my 1000th post. As a regular visiter, it seems it took an unusually long time for me to reach the milestone, about 3 years and 11 months, but I must say I've really enjoyed every minute of it. I know post count isn't really that significant but I think it's a good time to recollect my time here. Thanks to all the mods and regular users who make this place one of my favorite on the series of tubes we call the internet. That's that and now onto my work.

This project has been in the works for almost 10 months now. It all started out with the creation of the basketball and baseball templates you have seen me using for my past few concepts. My objective in creating those templates was to create a simple style-guide-graphic type template that focused to the fullest extent on showcasing the design rather than potentially detracting from it with extraneous shading and such; Not that I have anything against realistic templates but that simply wasn't what I was going for here. Well, I liked how my basketball and baseball templates turned out and I decided to turn it into a series: ScottySprings' Style-Guide Template Series. Included in the series are baseball, basketball, soccer, hockey, track & field/xc, football, and lacrosse templates. Like I said before, these templates are very basic with hopes you can design your own stitching templates and designs. I know I included a SoD basketball template but I'm really hoping when I release these I will see quality concepts with a bit of originality rather than just

Next aspect of this project is a collaboration with gingerbreadmann. I'm not sure if others agree I personally feel the quality of work in the concepts forum has been going downhill a bit recently. The next part of this project is an effort to hopefully encourage some of the newer designers or experienced raster based designers into the world of vector-based illustration. I think if it was a little less intimidating to make the jump, more people would do so. Like the pros always say, the programs Illustrator and Inkscape are simply tools, but they're very powerful tools at that. Together, GBM and myself will be producing a series of Illustrator and Inkscape tutorial videos ranging from the complete basics to creating uniform concepts with my templates. Hopefully with this little bit of guidance, people will take the leap to Inkscape (which is a free download) or Illustrator (which is surely not a free download) and begin to churn out cleaner, more refined concepts.

Before I release the templates fully I'm going to do a limited release to a select group of members to get c&c. If you're interested in taking part in the limited release, just leave leave me your email and why you want to take part. If you receive the templates, I'll be looking forward to getting at least a little bit of c&c. Also lemme know if you need .AI or .SVG.

Here's a little teaser graphic to take a gander at.

proof-sheet.png

Hit me up ;)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gah these look great, especially the football ones I love those, but you did a great job on the rest, I would like to see y'alls ( you and gbm's) inkscape tutorials, I want to make the jump soon but just want to know how to use it well before I post concepts and such. Great Work as usual!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

These look great, I love the simplicity and uniformity of the templates.

I would love to be a tester, if you don't mind. I'd made the jump to Illustrator in November and I need a lot of practice. Also, I don't have a variety of templates in vector format, so I've been pretty much limited to Baseball and Football (I'm not a huge fan of using the action or model templates.) So if you'd like me to help you with the tasting you can get me at..

JAN355@jwu.edu

Thanks man, and I can't wait to see these up close, whether it be through testing or general release.

TDZiMMB.png

Those are great templates. I would love to participate but I am a photoshop user, and I can't download anything like Inkscape from where I'm at. But when I do make that jump, these will be great. I always liked your baseball template.

These look great. I use Inkscape and I'd like to take a closer look at these. My email is burgundyskins@yahoo.com

And I applaud your efforts to get more people acquainted with vector. It really is amazing what can be accomplished when you learn how to use it.

spacer.png

Okay, I will be sending these out today to those who requested it, but a number of people didn't specify which file type they wanted. If you don't get them and you asked for them, that's why. In light of the Superbowl, I mocked up today's uni matchup on my football template for kicks.

superbowl.png

I think these would be much better if each piece of the uniforms were their own objects, so that it's easier to fill in side panels, sleeves, etc. Make them all like you did with the hockey temps and baseball vest temp. They're still great though, but they could be more user friendly, since you want to help people make the transition to vector.

spacer.png

Okay, I will be sending these out today to those who requested it, but a number of people didn't specify which file type they wanted. If you don't get them and you asked for them, that's why. In light of the Superbowl, I mocked up today's uni matchup on my football template for kicks.

superbowl.png

Gah I really love the Football template, once you release thes to everyone, would it be possible for I or someone to make these paint compaitable, I just can't get over how much I like them but I understand if you rather have them for vector use only

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Archived