Inkscape Video Tutorials

gingerbreadmann

Well here we are. I have decided to do a series of Inkscape tutorials for people who need some help learning it. I still want to collaborate with Scotty, but I really want to start this and I haven't gotten a reply from a PM I sent a couple of days ago. That said, I will still be working closely with him once his series starts. Anyway, this first video is just an introduction to what Inkscape and vector graphics is. I hope it gives you guys a nice look into some things we will be doing, well, I guess we will mainly be doing this for the purpose of sports concepts, but still. Anyway, I am on spring break next week and I will try to do as many as I can during that stretch. I have done one more after this one, but I am not sure if I should post it or not. Hell, I will probably end up re-doing most of them anyway. So you guys can give me feedback on any type of format you want me to follow, topics you want to learn about, etc. You can make requests, but I want to sort of ease in and learn things in a good order to be able to master Inkscape as best you can when this is done. Just know that even though this first tutorial is up, this is a complete work-in-progress and nothing is ever set in stone. I'm new to video tutorials, so I don't really have a routine or style yet. We will learn together. :)

One more thing: I want to use Jing, which is very easy for me to use. It does have a 5-minute time limit, though I think that will be useful. 5 minutes is a great amount of time to get in a short, concise tutorial, and keep the attention span of viewers. If necessary, I can break things up into part I, part II, etc. So I hope that works.

PUBLISHED TUTORIALS:

Chapter 1

Section 1: Introduction

Tutorial I: Preface

Tutorial II: Interface Basics

Section 2: Objects, Shapes, and Paths

Tutorial III: All About Paths

Tutorial IV: Shapes

Tutorial V: Fill & Stroke, Part I

Tutorial VI: Fill & Stroke, Part II

Tutorial VII: Z-Order and Alignment

Tutorial VIII: Distributing & Path Operations

Section 3: Text

Chapter 2: Applying Your Skills

Section 1: A Simple Basketball Concept

Supplements: a preview of the final product, the template I used (thanks to scottysprings), the original file, and the SVG Movement.

Tutorial IX: Opening the Template, Groups, and Coloring

Tutorial X: Coloring cont. and Intro to Drawing Side Panels

Tutorial XI: Drawing Side Panels

Tutorial XII: Manipulating for Clean Side Panels

Tutorial XIII: Duplicating Side Panels, Part I

Tutorial XIV: Duplicating Side Panels, Part II

Tutorial XV: Side Detail and Intro to Text*

*This video has a very awkward and sudden ending. See next video for explanation and an important lesson.

Tutorial XVI: SAVE YOUR WORK! and Front Wordmark

Tutorial XVII: Jersey Numbers and Intro to Arched Nameplates

Tutorial XVIII: Arched Nameplate, Part I

Tutorial XIX: Arched Nameplate, Part II

Tutorial XX: Exporting and Wrap-Up

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you very much. I recently found these boards and have been playing around in Inkscape and reading a tutorial. This is really helpful. I do have one question about the shape you did. How do I make a perfect circle without putting up the grids and counting. Do I hold shift and control at the same time while using the circle tool or do I just eyeball it? Thanks again, very helpful.

I will be referencing these multiple times, thanks a lot. It's perfect for a very new inkscape user

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Thank you very much. I recently found these boards and have been playing around in Inkscape and reading a tutorial. This is really helpful. I do have one question about the shape you did. How do I make a perfect circle without putting up the grids and counting. Do I hold shift and control at the same time while using the circle tool or do I just eyeball it? Thanks again, very helpful.

Yep, you can hold shift and ctrl to make a perfect circle with a stationary center. Or you can just hold ctrl for a stationary corner. Same for squares.

spacer.png

This is great gbm! I downloaded inkscape a long time ago, and I have tried all kinds of tutorials and I still have no idea what to do :P, with your help maybe I can make the transition from paint. Thanks alot again, I can't wait till all of your videos come out :D

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Thanks again everyone! I just uploaded 6 new tutorials. If I get cut off at the very end, don't worry, I am aware that it is the end and I am probably just saying something about the coming video. Once you watch a video, play around with some of the stuff you saw in in and really try to understand what it does before moving on. I will probably be using all this stuff later on, but it is much easier if you understand it now.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, this is a bump to notify everyone that I am in the middle of recording a complete walkthrough of making a basketball uniform concept. It will be a simple one, but it will draw on almost all of the techniques I went over in the first few videos (well I never got to text, but I will tell you the basics of that in this series) and I really hope people will try to follow what I do and once you see/hear what to do and do it, it will become more comfortable. Also because it is an actual concept you are doing, not just general stuff.

One thing I really want to say is that the main reason I am doing this is because the discussion that has been going on in elliott's thread, both to act on what we talked about with helping people with their capabilities as well as because some people in that thread said they were having difficulty even after watching my videos multiple times. First, I think this set will really help. But also, I haven't really gotten any questions about what is going on in any video. If you have any question about anything I am doing in a video, please ask! It will benefit you as well as me because I will be able to make my future videos more useful. I am trying my best to slow down and explain everything that I do, but this is so second nature for me that it is difficult to just put it in layman's terms, and I also probably do a lot of things by shortcut, for example, because it is my habit to do so, but I really should be explaining what I do at every step.

Look for the walkthrough within the next hour or so! I'm on video number 7 and it shouldn't go more than 10.

Done! Of course it had to be 12 videos long, but as you will see I had a hiccup in the middle and I am REALLY excited about this one. Give me your thoughts!

Final Concept preview:

tutorial-1.png

Note that the jerseys were blue/purple until the very last video, and when you watch the first few videos after seeing the preview and say "Huh?!" there is no actual problem.

Here is the index, it is also in the first post of course but it is here too.

Chapter 2: Applying Your Skills

Section 1: A Simple Basketball Concept

Supplements: a preview of the final product, the template I used (thanks to scottysprings), the original file, and the SVG Movement.

Tutorial IX: Opening the Template, Groups, and Coloring

Tutorial X: Coloring cont. and Intro to Drawing Side Panels

Tutorial XI: Drawing Side Panels

Tutorial XII: Manipulating for Clean Side Panels

Tutorial XIII: Duplicating Side Panels, Part I

Tutorial XIV: Duplicating Side Panels, Part II

Tutorial XV: Side Detail and Intro to Text*

*This video has a very awkward and sudden ending. See next video for explanation and an important lesson.

Tutorial XVI: SAVE YOUR WORK! and Front Wordmark

Tutorial XVII: Jersey Numbers and Intro to Arched Nameplates

Tutorial XVIII: Arched Nameplate, Part I

Tutorial XIX: Arched Nameplate, Part II

Tutorial XX: Exporting and Wrap-Up

Even after just the first one of Chapter 2, I feel like I'm already getting to know the program better. But, I do have one problem for Tutorial X, when I click the link it takes me to the video for Tutorial IX. I think you may have posted the wrong link.

g4104.png

Archived