Colorado Rockies Logo

Bmac

Hello all, I have been working hard on my MLB series and I am moving on to the next team. The next team is the Rockies. The first part I am working on is the logo. Last week, I drew up a sketch on a piece of paper as an idea for the new logo. The basic idea is to have a baseball with mountains coming out of it. I also made new wordmark for the Rockies and I used that (actually I sketched a rough idea of it) on the logo. The seams on the ball develop into a river or stream flowing from the mountains. Here is the original sketch from Thursday, June 11th:

rockiessketch.jpg

*Update Below*

A few days later, I have it on the computer and coming along nicely. However, I need some help. I would love to get some advice on how to make this better and how I should develop it. I made a few different versions of the logo. So, here is what I came up with on the computer:

rockiesnewlogo1.png

rockiesnewlogo2.png

rockiesnewlogo3.png

So, what do you think? What is it missing, what needs to be changed, what are the strong points?

*Update Below*

The bottom has to have laces. Otherwise it just looks like a circle with mountains on top. And like Steve-O said, you don't need so many mountains, you would do fine with just four or five. This is a really good idea, just keep working at it.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Yeah, I think this is a great idea, and it has a lot of potential. I love the idea of the laces being the stream/river, whether or not you need two of them is debatable. The wordmark kinda bugs me though, just how many outlines it has on it, but I wouldn't really know how to go about fixing it. All-in-all, it?s a great idea with a lot of potential. Good work.

i also think that there should be a few less outlines on the lettering. The outlines also look a little rough i don't know how else to describe it. Maybe if you squared them off made them look cleaner it would look much better. I like the idea though and i think it has some potential.

MLynch01.pnghr1_RBI.png

I finally have an update for my Rockies logo. I tried to do what everyone said and I think I got things started ok. First off, I made a completely new set of mountains. Now there are only a few mountains coming out of the ball. Next I took a second look at the wordmark. I fixed it up a bit. There are less outlines and it is smoother. I have not yet added the river/seams to this draft, as I want to make sure this part is good first. So, what do you think?

rockiesnewlogov21.png

Here is a comparison of the logos to see the changes:

rockieslogos1.png

Again, comments on this update please before I add more detail.

It's incredibly messy, it's pretty obvious that the wordmark was just pasted on, it doesn't really match at all, and, well, the pixelation makes it just seem slapped on. Come up with a new wordmark and work on making the mountains all the same shape in corresponding places - symmetrical, I mean.

Yeah, now it just seems too simple. We get that the pointy things are mountains, but if they stood alone, I would be hard to tell what they are. The script is messy as elliott has stated, I'd start from scratch and make a new one. Also, I think you should utilize that stream/river idea as the seams of the baseball.

OK, to answer your questions:

1. What is it missing?

To put it simply, it's missing detail. Your first design had mountains with some imperfections, which was a nice touch. There were too many mountains, but by taking some away, you've created a PERFECT set of mountains. That isn't to say they mountains are rendered perfectly, but what I mean by that is that the mountains are all relatively the same. They are all perfectly lined in a row, and because of that, the design is too simple. My advice in this situation is to make some of the mountains overlap each other, instead of just having one mountain suddenly mesh into the other one. More detail that can be added: (but doesn't have to be) is some simple shading.

For example, the Utah Jazz logo:

http://www.sportslogos.net/logo.php?id=jy1...gvrp2a5phwtvdfh

In this logo, the mountains appear three-dimensional, which sounds like a hard effect to come by, when really all that they've done is color the mountains two colors. If that is executed properly, the mountains look a lot better.

Also on the subject of detail, under the script Rockies, nothing is happening. There is a semi-circle. What benefits does this semi-circle pose? You could add the seams of a baseball, but that's basically what the Jazz did. As the semi-circle poses no real benefits, you may want to try one of three things: (just to see if it looks better) 1. Get rid of the semi-circle. Either do not have anything under the script, or put something else there. 2. Turn the logo into a shield. 3. Turn the semicircle into something. While these are some possible solutions, none of them may be right. The best solution may be to keep the semi-circle, although I would imagine there would be something a bit more appealing.

2. What needs to be changed?

More detail on the mountains. Such as shading and creating small imperfections.

The semi-circle under the script.

Simplify the wordmark. Rockies is surrounded by: a thin black line, a white outline, a purple outline outside that, and a black outline outside that. I'm not sure if this is your doing or not, but surely we don't need four outlines! One or two should do it.

3. What are the strong points?

The idea, like many ideas, has potential to be executed quite well. Just some fine tuning can turn just about anything into a fine design. The wrong tuning will put bad tastes in our mouths, but the right ones will leave a lot of people smiling. If you are willing to mess around with some details and spend time on a concept, (and you can take a lot of members here as examples) you can come up with professional looking final designs.

Phew. I hope that is at least somewhat helpful.

20082614530.png

I have been playing around with some ideas for the wordmark. I plan to keep the same font I started with, but I am changing the outlines. I kept the silver as the main color. Then I added a black outline, thicker than the original thin one. I eliminated the white outline completely. As for adding a purple outline, I can't decide. What do you think?

rockiesnewwordmark1.png

rockiesnewwordmark2.png

Other ideas?

I went back to step one and re-did the entire logo. The only piece I kept from the orignal logo was the ball/circle. I made completely new mountains and a new wordmark. The mountains are much bigger and more natural looking, like mountains. I made a brand new mountain shape. I also used some new colors to add detail. A lighter purple was used for the mains part of the logo. A darker purple was used for the shaded areas of the mountains. I added several details to make everything appear more like mountains. The river/seam idea was re-added, but it still needs some work. So, your thoughts?

rockieslogo1.png

Here is a comparison of what I had and what I finished with:

rockieslogos2.png

Simplify the wordmark. Rockies is surrounded by: a thin black line, a white outline, a purple outline outside that, and a black outline outside that. I'm not sure if this is your doing or not, but surely we don't need four outlines! One or two should do it.

Wouldn't be the first time the Rockies have had a mark with too many outlines. I have this cap logo on an official BP cap with an additional white outline around it. Looks downright awful.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Archived