**It's Back** College Football Uniform Overhaul

Brave-Bird 08

In this thread I am going to be revamping football uniforms for FBS teams who I feel need an attire update. No more toodling around with teams that really do not need tweaking. I went through Athlon magazine from team #120 to #1 and picked out every team I feel need's an overhaul, and wrote those names down. Here is the list.

Idaho

Eastern Michigan

Kent

Temple

Wyoming

Bowling Green

SMU

UCF

Iowa State

Iowa

Indiana

Troy

South Carolina

Houston

Boston College

Northwestern

Arkansas

Miami (FL)

West Virginia

TCU

NC State

Kansas

Georgia Tech

Utah

Cincy

Oregon

Boise State

Cal

Oklahoma State

Virginia Tech

Florida

... this is just a list based on my opinion, I'm our's would not all look the same. Anyways, I have started at the bottom and will work my way all the way through. For some teams I will even tweak logos, but I will not be presenting logo sheets if I do.

I have completed Idaho and Eastern Michigan, so here they are.

Idaho Vandals

I picked Idaho because their uniforms bore me, and have too generic and plain of a look. They are not really known for anything, and most people never even see them. I wanted to give them a snazzy updated looking uniform, and most of all a better logo. The helmet they wore last season had the primary logo on it, and I thought it did not look good. My helmet options were either the gold with the Vandals script in black, or a newer looking helmet.

Even though the gold Vandals script helmet looked great with my new design for them, I went out on a limb with a completely different shell for conceptual purposes. I updated one of their cartoony logos...hopefully it is less cartoony looking now, and decided on it as a primary. It did not look good on a jersey or the pants, but I figured it looked right on a helmet. (Also, the picture in Athlon I referenced was from 2007, so I used Adidas on this instead of Nike. Woops)

homeuniform1-1.png

homeuniform2.png

roaduniform1-1.png

roaduniform2.png

Hope you like!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eastern Michigan

For the Eagles I wanted to dump the green helmet, get rid of all of the black, and most importantly update their logo. I stenciled their very sketchy looking Eagle head and tried my best to give it a newer look.

For the uniforms I wanted a simple, Green and White look. I started with a green, silver and black scheme that fits with the logo...but they ended up looking too much like Marshall. Also, black was one thing about their current uniforms that bothers me most.

Jerseys and pants are of course implied to be interchangable.

homeuniform1.png

roaduniform1.png

Hope you like!

Both are pretty good designs, but neither fit with the company that makes them. I know they are concepts, but the idaho one looks like an under armor template (maryland), and the eastern concept looks more nike to me, especially the pants, the adidas shoulder swooshes usually are wider and end farther away from the armpit (central florida). Still, I can't let that take away from the concepts too much, because they are both very well done. I just can't see adidas schools using designs that resemble other companies generic templates.

The one thing I would suggest is to add a gold outline around the black side panels on the roads and on the white pants, it would better match the homes and the helmets.

Kent State

Kent State was a no brainer for me. Their current bird/lightning bolt logo just bothers the heck out of me. They are the "Golden Flashes". With that in mind I gave them a more suitable primary logo, and eliminated the bird logo from the helmet. Their current jerseys just do not make a lick of sense...they have the strangest piping. I went for a very simple but characteristic design...much like the one that Cal uses. This concept may remind some of you of the Golden Bears, but the detail is supposed to be as "Flashy" as possible.

As Elliot pointed out, sometimes the outfitter will not quite match up with the template...that is a flaw in me not really knowing that much about template tendencies...but, I will try to be a tad more consistent in the following concepts (for this one I just used Nike, b/c NB might as well not outfit anyone...so Nike, just for kicks!)

homeuniform.png

homeuniform2-1.png

roaduniform.png

again, the pants and jerseys are meant to be interchangable.

Temple Owls

For Temple I knew I wanted to revert back to their owl logo. Their uniforms have gotten very boring, and honestly pretty ugly. I am not conservative when it comes to team brands, and I knew with Temple I wanted to do something very out there. I reverted back to the helmet from the early 2000's...and went for a whacky modernized template. I did custom numerals that go with the brand more. I also did something yall may or may not like...that is, changing them to Nike. I was just trying to take Elliots advice and make sure the templates look like they belong with the outfitter...and I was not going to sacrifice this design b/c of Adida's tendencies...so I just figured...I decide the design, and pick the outfitter that makes the most sense.

::EDIT:: just realized the left cuff on the back of the black uniform packed it's bags...woops, but, yall get the idea

This one is definitely out there compared to my first 3

homeuniform1-2.png

homeuniform2-2.png

roaduniform-1.png

roaduniform2-1.png

Kent State

Kent State was a no brainer for me. Their current bird/lightning bolt logo just bothers the heck out of me. They are the "Golden Flashes". With that in mind I gave them a more suitable primary logo, and eliminated the bird logo from the helmet. Their current jerseys just do not make a lick of sense...they have the strangest piping. I went for a very simple but characteristic design...much like the one that Cal uses. This concept may remind some of you of the Golden Bears, but the detail is supposed to be as "Flashy" as possible.

As Elliot pointed out, sometimes the outfitter will not quite match up with the template...that is a flaw in me not really knowing that much about template tendencies...but, I will try to be a tad more consistent in the following concepts (for this one I just used Nike, b/c NB might as well not outfit anyone...so Nike, just for kicks!)

homeuniform.png

homeuniform2-1.png

roaduniform.png

again, the pants and jerseys are meant to be interchangable.

First of all, I'd like to say I watched this kid beat the crap out of my high school in the WPIAL Championship when our running back went down. He was sooooo good.

Anyway, I really like what you've done with the striping. It gives it a sort of edge but is simplistic at the same time

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

Eastern Michigan

For the Eagles I wanted to dump the green helmet, get rid of all of the black, and most importantly update their logo. I stenciled their very sketchy looking Eagle head and tried my best to give it a newer look.

For the uniforms I wanted a simple, Green and White look. I started with a green, silver and black scheme that fits with the logo...but they ended up looking too much like Marshall. Also, black was one thing about their current uniforms that bothers me most.

Jerseys and pants are of course implied to be interchangable.

homeuniform1.png

roaduniform1.png

Hope you like!

-I think you should keep the green helmet, however, something looks off with the E helmet logo, can't quite place what it is though.

-I'm not really feeling the new eagle, but I agree that Swoop needs a definite update.

-I'd drop black completely, since right now you're only using it as an outline on the helmet.

Wyoming

I knew exactly what I wanted to do with Wyoming out of the gate. Their uniforms from the past are horrid, and the new ones Nike just revealed look alot like...Missouri...Wake...Baylor...Air Force...ok, I'm sure you get it. I also do not like how the old gold looks, especially as a dominant part of the uniform. So, I went with a modern gold, and used it stricly as trim. The reason I used Adidas is b/c I'm pretty sure that is what their basketball team uses... once again I never see the point in going back to NB.

And here is where some of you might want to kill me. I know the helmet logo they have is steeped in tradition, and it is an icon of the state, but I just do not like it as a helmet logo. I kept it as the primary, but I used a version of the W from Wyoming's more modernized script as a helmet logo instead.

Both pants and jerseys are interchangable...and no, no gold pants.

homeuniform-1.png

roaduniform-2.png

Pretty good, but you've been using the same basic block font on all but one, and the font on Wyoming would probably look better if it was a little more refined compared to the block font, like some sharp serifs...something more modern to match the W logo.

I would suggest the same thing for Kent State, use something italicized.

Idaho's is nice but I'd have the gold striping outside the black for the white jersey and pants also. I think you should keep a little black for Eastern Michigan so they stay away from looking like Michigan State. I really like the Kent State concept, its the best of the bunch. The Temple one is also very good but the font is a little weird. I'd like to see yellow pants for Wyoming, but they're an improvement over their nike set.

They look great, and I'm looking forward to see some crazy design in your Oregon concept.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Temple and Idaho are absolutely perfect. Not a thing I would change about either of those.

Kent's is pretty cool, I like the simplicity of it. I'd like to see a yellow jersey on it as well. I think that'd be a neat thing.

EMU looks nice too. I love the update on the eagle.

I'd like to ask if you could do FIU. Their football uniforms just look weird with all the random striping everywhere. I'd like that to get a change. Thanks.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Temple and Idaho are absolutely perfect. Not a thing I would change about either of those.

Kent's is pretty cool, I like the simplicity of it. I'd like to see a yellow jersey on it as well. I think that'd be a neat thing.

I'd like to ask if you could do FIU. Their football uniforms just look weird with all the random striping everywhere. I'd like that to get a change. Thanks.

You know, on second thought I thoroughly agree. I cannot believe I overlooked that! FIU will be done...I'll try to sneak it into the next few sets.

You know, on second thought I thoroughly agree. I cannot believe I overlooked that! FIU will be done...I'll try to sneak it into the next few sets.

SWEET! I'd like to see what you put together for my former school. Maybe even some marching band and cheerleader uniforms for if/when they bring those back :P

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Bowling Green

Bowling Green has probably the most inconsistent uniforms out there, so this one was an easy pick. No new logo's for this one, but I did stencil their wordmark and simplify it a tad (got rid of the outlines, extra stuff, etc). Updated the helmet with their latest logo which is way better than the BG helmet decal they sport now. The uniforms simple, but hopefully effective. I traced the Atlanta Hawks old numerals and tweaked them around a good bit to get a more unique looking number style.

homeuniform-2.png

homeuniform2-3.png

roaduniform-3.png

again, interchangable. SMU is next

Not too big a fan of Bowling Green. It's certainly an improvement, but I feel the pants stripe is just somewhat random. If you're going to go with that type of stripe, try making it a bit more consistent with the shoulder stripes... perhaps they could come to a point as well. I appreciate the originality in the number font, but I'm not sure it works on a football uniform... too narrow in places.

I do applaud your creativity and productivity in this project--it looks great so far, keep it up.

Archived