NHL 3rd Jerseys

Bmac

With the new NHL 3rd jerseys soon to be released, I thought I would share some of my ideas on what some of the jerseys might or should look like. Or, they will just be 3rd jersey ideas from myself. Enjoy!

First up: New Jersey Devils

The Devils have never had an alternate jersey and probaly won't any time soon. But I think they could easily add an alternate black jersey. I can't image the Devils doing something new, so I kept the same basic striping pattern for the alt. Instead of the regular NJ logo, I used a D logo in a circle. Not much for the Devils, but they probaly wouldn't do much either.

devils1.png

*Update*

Summary on page 2.

devils2.png

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I kind of think the D logo would be stronger without forcing the horns on it. The tail is "devilish" enough, and works so naturally with the shape of the letter.

2. Removing the horns would allow you to make the D larger too, and fill up more of the circle.

3. If you really want to, put the horns on the top of the circle.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Erm what is with the gray? Gray has never been part of the Devil's scheme and it looks very random here. The primary logo isn't particularly great (isn't that a zephyr x line logo?) and it is way too small on the jersey. The collar would be better if it went red-white-red. The design is very obvious, I wouldn't mind something more creative, and template wise it is very similar to the sharks third. Finally I'll just add my usual "lets see some original templates" comments, using basic edge templates for each team is not gonna cut it.

I actually kind of like the addition of gray, and think that any Devils design should be on a pretty basic template.

I disagree about the collar, I think it should be either white-red-white, or black-white-red-white (and then the black of the jersey.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Next up: New York Rangers

There has been talk of the Rangers bringing back the Liberty Head logo. I guess I'm fine with that, but I would rather see them move away from the 90's. So for this concept, even though it is navy, it is not the Liberty Head logo. I took the original Rangers logo and modified it. I changed the colors to match the jersey colors. I also replaced the regular "Rangers" on the logo with the diagonal Rangers script from the home jerseys. On the jersey itself, I was inspired by the Bruins current 3rd jersey. Boston has a modified version of their home jersey. That is kind of what I did here. I eliminated the bottom stripes and changed the arm stripes. I also used new numbers and names to get away from the old 90's feel.

rangers1.png

Are you looking for c/c, or are you just going to post these up regardless of anyone's comments? If that's the case, let everyone know so we don't waste our time giving feedback.

I actually kind of like the addition of gray, and think that any Devils design should be on a pretty basic template.

I disagree about the collar, I think it should be either white-red-white, or black-white-red-white (and then the black of the jersey.)

Well, if he wants to do gray there has to be a little more than just on the outline of the logo! It could be interesting but it has to be worked into the rest of the design.

Are you looking for c/c, or are you just going to post these up regardless of anyone's comments? If that's the case, let everyone know so we don't waste our time giving feedback.

True that.

Well, if he wants to do gray there has to be a little more than just on the outline of the logo! It could be interesting but it has to be worked into the rest of the design.

Right. I originally thought there was gray around the striping, but now I think it's just the thin gray lines from the template. If gray in logo, put gray in other places too.

I know I have posted two concepts right away, but they are not the most exciting, so I am going to post a third for now. This one is a little more different than the others so far. It is probaly my most unique template. The Washington Capitals.

For the Caps, the obvious choice is a navy jersey. And most people would recommend the "Weagle" logo. That is just what I did. I tried to match the flow of the wings in the logo and the striping on the arms. For the bottom of the jersey, I put some white stars. This is a nod to the early Capitals designs, when stars were on the jersey.

caps1.png

C+C on the three released so far!

I love the Caps jersey. The best concept I have seen so far using that logo. The stars at the bottom is really cool. Great job. I like the devils one too, the logo is too linear though. The D looks to horizontally stretched out to me.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

So far all three jerseys have used essentially the same template, and have involved very little creativity. Third jerseys are used as a way to break the normal template of a team (with exceptions for tradition), and a chance to go a little bit crazy. As Elliot has already said "lets see some original templates", don't just use the fill tool.

On that note, I think you're on the right track with the Caps. The Weagle is an obvious choice for an alternate sweater, as is navy blue. I like the stars across the bottom, but 9 seems to be a random number, and they don't appear anywhere else on the jersey. How about 13 stars for the original colonies?

I think you're on the right track with all of them, but the extra effort that makes a concept special just doesn't seem to be there just yet. Keep working at it though!

So far all three jerseys have used essentially the same template, and have involved very little creativity. Third jerseys are used as a way to break the normal template of a team (with exceptions for tradition), and a chance to go a little bit crazy. As Elliot has already said "lets see some original templates", don't just use the fill tool.

On that note, I think you're on the right track with the Caps. The Weagle is an obvious choice for an alternate sweater, as is navy blue. I like the stars across the bottom, but 9 seems to be a random number, and they don't appear anywhere else on the jersey. How about 13 stars for the original colonies?

I think you're on the right track with all of them, but the extra effort that makes a concept special just doesn't seem to be there just yet. Keep working at it though!

Here is how I picked 9: the original Caps jerseys had 8 stars on each side. So I started with the 8, and then added 1 more for the middle so that everything was centered and even. I suppose I could go back and add more, but after playing around with them a lot, I think the current way I have them set up looks the best. Thanks for the help, BTW.

I will wait a little longer to see what has to be said about these three before I post the updates. After that, I have a few new ones on the way. Stay tuned!

I would still love to get some feedback on the first three posted, but for now, here is a new jersey to look at. Now up: the Ottawa Senators.

IMO, the current Sens 3rd jersey is terrible. I think they screwed up a good chance for an alternate jersey. I think the Sens should bring back the 3rd jersey they had before the EDGE switch. So, I put together a slightly different, up-to-date version of that. I used the alternate "facing forward" Senator logo. The O/flag logo is on the shoulders. The jersey is black, with a white/red/gold/red/white striping design. On the gold part is the black Roman symbols. The main idea of this jersey was to take a pre-EDGE jersey and bring it into the current time. I beleive I successfully did just that. C+C as always!

senators.png

Well, you're on the right track with your Senators concept. Actually looks like something I'm working on for my NHL Redesign. Anyway, let me address the other concepts first.

New Jersey - I like the introduction of silver, but right now, it's not even subtle - just basically no existent. I feel you should add some silver to the striping, but nothing over the top. Maybe just a thin line or two around the red, middle strip. Look at what the Oilers did, pre-EDGE days with their thin red lines.

NY Rangers - From here, I can barely make out "RANGERS" on the logo. In my opinion, their shield is perfect as is, so don't ruin a great thing. If you want to get a little more cutting edge with the Rangers, just use the shoulder patch they used to have on their Lady Liberty jerseys. I would also like to see the striping on the arms, consistent. That is, add striping to the hem and bring the logo up a bit.

Washington - The obvious choice, colour-wise and logo-wise for the Capitals, but with the striping on the arms and the stars on the hem, it looks like two entirely different concepts. If you really want to use the 9 stars, break them up. Add striping to the hem and put three stars in the red stripe. Do so as well on the arms. I think that would make the jersey look pretty snazzy.

Ottawa - Like I hinted towards when I first started this thread off, your Senators concept is very well done. Two things slightly irk me, though. 1: The shoulder patch. As if it doesn't look out of place on their current uniforms, even more so here. Might be the lack of the gold in the logo when there is an abundance on the jersey, but the patch just looks misplaced. Would be wise to go with the forward-looking senator logo that they currently use. And 2: the collar. IMO, a tie-down just doesn't work here. My suggestion would be to use either a 2 or 3 colour collar instead that matches the striping. A neat idea would be something with the little marks in the gold on the collar. Similar to what the Thrashers did with their little dashes pre-EDGE.

Like I said, the Ottawa jersey is a step in the right, non-generic direction that you want to be heading with your concepts. Keep working hard on them and practice, practice, practice. I'm looking forward to your next concept, bmac25!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Maybe it's just me, but that "D" looks like an "N" to me.

Which still fits the team--so no big deal.

but I wanted to point out that I saw an "N", not a "D"

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Maybe it's just me, but that "D" looks like an "N" to me.

Which still fits the team--so no big deal.

but I wanted to point out that I saw an "N", not a "D"

I see an "N", "D", and "J" Although, I think the "belly" of the "D" need to be thicker..

Archived