Uhl To Add 12th Team

Ez Street

UHL to add 12th team

By Alan Trubow

And then there were 12, again.

The United Hockey League announced Thursday that its Board of Governors accepted a bid from a start-up franchise in Danbury, Conn.

The Danbury Trashers will become the league?s 12th team at the start of the 2004-05 season.

?This is a great addition,? UHL president Richard Brosal said. ?Not only are you bringing in a great ownership crew, you?re also bringing hockey to a virgin territory. They?ve never had a professional team in Danbury.?

The UHL had 12 teams to start the 2003-04 season, however the Columbus Stars, who were in their first year of existence, folded in January despite being in first place in the Eastern Conference.

The Trashers are owned by Jim Galante, who owns Automated Waste Disposal in Danbury, and his son, A.J., who was named the team?s president/general manager, despite being just 18 years old. He will be beginning his freshman year at Manhattanville College in Purchase, N.Y., this fall.

The News-Times reported the team announced at a press conference Thursday that Todd Sterling will be the Trashers first head coach and director of hockey operations.

Quad-City Mallards president Howard Cornfield was happy with the addition of Jim Galante.

?Jimmy Galante is a tremendous addition,? Cornfield said. ?I think he?s going to be a great owner in this league. It?s a calculated gamble on the league?s part, but it?s a smart gamble to take.?

The Trashers will play their 40 home games at the Danbury Ice Arena. The venue currently has fewer than 1,000 seats but could be expanding.

?They?ve got a nice arena that is being redesigned,? Brosal said. ?It will probably seat between 2,500 and 3,000 when it is finished.?

Danbury mayor Mark Boughton is excited about his city?s newest addition.

?This is wonderful news for the City of Danbury, CityCenter and for sports fans in the Danbury area,? he said. ?We?re proud to have this exciting brand of hockey come to our city. This is a win-win opportunity for everyone.?

Brosal said that the UHL was still talking with other cities about expansion, including Baltimore and Williamsport, Pa.

At the all-star game in January, Brosal mentioned Cherry Hill, N.J., Lincoln Park, Mi., and Finlay, Ohio, as other expansion possibilities.

yep, no AFD joke here. What's up with a 1,000 seat arena? That is small even for this Bush League. Cherry Hill, N.J., Lincoln Park, Mi., and Finlay, Ohio....wow and i once thought Indianapolis would be a better fit for this league than the CHL. Looks like they are going smaller not larger cities. Of course i have no idea about the size of these markets. They could be suburbs of Big towns for all i know.

who does this kid think he is Theo Epstien? J/K

Wow that logo..........SUCKS. Big surprise the UHL isn't known for the most imaginative logos out there. This one is a major BORE to me. Yawn......and we move on never to talk about this team again.

You think anyone signing with that team is going to take that kid seriously? He doesn't look that bright to begin wtih. Or at least that shot they got of him makes him look pretty clueless about what's happening.

Not that I begrudge him. I wish my Dad bought me a team when I was just out of high school. Sure would've beat spending four years in the Air Force before coming to college. Think would'll do for his resume, if nothing else.

hehe..

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

So you are saying they will pull a Columbus Stars, and Fold mid season? That's probably a good bet. I doubt this kid is gonna get GM of the year.

and while we are on the topic of the UHL i'd like to say....

RIVER OTTERS (said with a gay-ish lisp)

sorry, a friend of mine thinks that is the dumbest name for a hockey team. :lol:

0401dw22.jpg

Gee, thanks, Dad! I guess your trash hauling business is doing well, eh, pops?

I mean, after all... you DID buy me both of these huge diamond earrings. -wait... what do you mean they were supposed to be for mom?

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

yep, no AFD joke here. What's up with a 1,000 seat arena? That is small even for this Bush League. Cherry Hill, N.J., Lincoln Park, Mi., and Finlay, Ohio....wow and i once thought Indianapolis would be a better fit for this league than the CHL. Looks like they are going smaller not larger cities. Of course i have no idea about the size of these markets. They could be suburbs of Big towns for all i know.

quote:"Looks like they are going smaller not larger cities."

The UHL tried this with Columbus but look where it got them 11 teams.

:hockeysmiley:

i wanted to think this was a typo...then i remembered the Gwinnet Gwizzlies. While they're the Trashers, maybe they could use Phil Esposito as their mascot. cus remember: Jesus Saves...but Espo dumps in the rebound ;)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

who does this kid think he is Theo Epstien? J/K

He strikes me as more of a Chas Tenenbaum...

On another note, the UHL has officially become the NIFL of hockey leagues. When it dies, please send flowers in lieu of donations.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

If they actually do work the Tony Soprano thing in their marketing somehow, the "Trashers" name could actually work...

And don't completely write the kid off - take a look at this week's SI. In MLB, the under-30 set is taking over team front offices left and right thanks to Kid Theo...

nav-logo.png

A sharp looking Garbage truck moving at high velocity would have looked sweet...

i smell a contest.........

...or a fart.........

...either/or.........

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived