Columbia Columns

The Fixer

Hey there,

so Im a big mizzou fan, and columbia missouri (where the school is) is a very very special place for me. its my happy place so to speak :) so ive been thinking of a concept bout them for a while, and i think i got it. One of my best memories is seeing the columns at Jesse Hall. the story as i understand it goes like this: there was a building was the first building on campus. and a fire destroyed the WHOLE building except for 5 columns, and now its a monument, and they build a new building Jesse Hall behind it. Its a really cool site. and a really weird coincidence-directly down the street at the other end, there was another main building that burned down a while later but it left some coulumns too and is another cool site.

So i through in the 6 columns from Academic hall, and the top of jesse hall behind it. The Old english font comes just from the history and as well as another one of my favorite places on campus, Shakespeare's Pizza :) best pizza in the world. the colors come from the colors of the tigers, but i lightened the gold up a bit to look more like the limestone of the columns. I couldnt think of other colors to do a Columbia Concept. and a warning, i will probably do other columbia concepts in my time here, as the town means a lot to me. Thanks to davidson for his helmet template-also not sure which helmet i like best so just posted both

columbiaconcept.png

columnshelmet1.png

columnshelmet2.png

thanks for reading, and im planning on uniforms, just don't know wher

I like it, the colors look good and I think the font is appropriate for this concept. My one gripe is the columns. I think you could make them a little less detailed. Look at most logos today, they are very simple because they have to be produced on all surfaces. If that logo was, say, a patch right now, it would very distorted because of the minute detail.

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I don't hate the concept, well done! But in reading your thoughts on Columbia made me smile and I'd like to mention why.

Last year I spent a lot of time in Missouri working for a political campaign. Previously I had only been to STL and KC for sporting events or concerts and Jack In A Box.

Pretty much in and out and MO never left me with a strong impression other than STL having a strong, passionate and "baseball smart" fan base. It's great to see your team

"take the Birds on!" My Sox struggle there, but I will still follow 'em back down! Especially for Bandana's BBQ!!!

Back to last year, I lived and traveled all over Missouri and found it a great place to be. Both in the inner cities of KC and STL (I'm a big city guy!) AND in the smaller communities in between the two.

Columbia was my favorite town for many reasons. Since I was working long, long hours, seven days a week, I had to "site see" on the fly. But Columbia's downtown area, with a great shops and the bustling sidewalks, many folks there for the schools there. It was both quaint and happening at the same time.

It didn't hurt that my boss at the time got great support from Columbia's demographic (as well as Springfield and some other college towns in MO).

Although overall he did not win the entire state, he did get a job promotion out of the election after all.

Next time, I will be looking for columns there!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

thanks cab, ill for sure work on that. i actually tried to do that, but had a little trouble with the tools. I think i figured it out though. I also might mirror the right biggest column to get a little more balance.

patchez, thats great to hear. No one in my city (a really nice suburb of minneapolis; eagan) believes how amazing and nice columbia is. its such a fun place to be. I spend a lot of my time in the summer there, and hope that i can go to medical school there. Its such a good getaway, and its such a meaningful place to me. People there are really friendly too. Next time you are there, you should really take the time and walk around the downtown and campus. Its probably one of my best memories in my life so far. If you get a chance, stop at shakespeares pizza (1 in downtown, and one in the more suburban area, not sure exactly where) and The Flat Branch. Amazing places :)

This was a really fun concept because of my time there, and what the columns represent to me. I actually based this off of a picture i took on my phone. I think Ill probably do a lot more concepts that hold more meaning to me, because i think that'll really up there quality and how hard i work

Finally went to my first Mizzou football game last year against K-State and am going back this year against Iowa State. (Check out my sig to see where my loyalty lies) Other than that, I had only been there for the State Semi-Finals in basketball back when I was in Middle School and High School. Patchez, how'd you like Springfield (where I live... at least for another week...)?

Fix, I have to agree that the columns are just too detailed. Also, the "Columbia Columns" lettering, the 'C' in "Columns" should be capitalized. And really Old English is just too complex a font to try and interlock two letters with.

All in all, it's awesome that you wanted to immortalize the columns. I have been thinking about doing something with them, though it wouldn't be for a team logo, just a Mizzou design, t-shirt or background or something like that.

It's always nice to see a fellow Mizzou fan around here. B) (My cousin is a sophomore there now.)

Yeah I really want to get to a game soon. Haven't been to a game but been in the stadium many times for fireworks on the 4th. A little dissapoiting season this time, but hey tigers aren't fairweatherd.

I made the rookie mistake of saving it when merged. But shouldn't be too hard to put back together.

For the columns- should I still have a little shading? What about just the 2 big towers? Should I stick with the big towers or have them the same as the others? What should I do with Jesse hall building as for where it ends and does it look okay as it is ending with the font and towers?

The type: haha I meant to leave out the c in Columns so the c would work for both words. I'll fix that in the update. As for the

interlocking c's. Does it really not work? I think it looks fine. They are just overlapping not interlocking-what about just one c?

Helmets: which logo do you prefer? And I tried white and gold helmets and they both look good. Gonna be a hard decision when I do uni's.

Thanks for the help!

Patchez, how'd you like Springfield (where I live... at least for another week...)?

Why are you leaving?

I like Springfield, but it's no Columbia. I did see the most attractive woman of all my Missouri travels in downtown Springfield!

The people I met in Missouri overall were very nice to me (despite my wearing my usual White Sox wear), refreshing, knowledgeable with great senses of humor!

Even when I sat alone at Kaufmann to see my Sox beat up the Royals, people were great!

But as I got south of Springfield in Nixa and Ozark, the tide turned quickly. Folks down there did not like me or my boss at all.

Though I was not intimated or frighten, visions of "Deliverance" did pop into my head!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Patchez, how'd you like Springfield (where I live... at least for another week...)?

Why are you leaving?

I like Springfield, but it's no Columbia. I did see the most attractive woman of all my Missouri travels in downtown Springfield!

The people I met in Missouri overall were very nice to me (despite my wearing my usual White Sox wear), refreshing, knowledgeable with great senses of humor!

Even when I sat alone at Kaufmann to see my Sox beat up the Royals, people were great!

But as I got south of Springfield in Nixa and Ozark, the tide turned quickly. Folks down there did not like me or my boss at all.

Though I was not intimated or frighten, visions of "Deliverance" did pop into my head!

I got laid off from my job (I was the Manager of the Springfield Cardinals Team Store at Hammons Field) and I'm moving back over to Southeast Missouri, where I was born and a lot of my family is (I've lived out here in towns around Springfield since I was 8, this area has been my home for about 20 years.) And yes, downtown, you'll definately find some hotties, after all, this is quite a College town. Lot of girls from St. Louis and other areas come to school down here. Gotta ask, what places you checked out downtown? Did you get to Ernie Biggs Chicago Style Piano Bar? Figured a guy from Chi-Town might like that place. It's one of the best places to go downtown.

Who was your boss, btw?

Update:

conceptsupdate.png

i took away some detail from the columns but still wanted to keep some shading. I lowered the 2 big columns. and i changed the positioning of jesse hall behind it, and the overall picture, i need to work on that tip though. also fixed the wordmark.

SORRY FIXER!

Why are you leaving?

I got laid off from my job (I was the Manager of the Springfield Cardinals Team Store at Hammons Field)

Who was your boss, btw?

Wow, as I wrote earlier on this thread, my job took me high and low all over Missouri and I worked long, long hours 7 days a week.

I have very little free time overall, but catching the Royals/Sox and a couple of nightcaps along the way.

In Springfield I made three stops, a motel, my boss' downtown office and the Cards Team Store! We may have crossed paths!!!

My former boss's office was called Springfield's Campaign For Change Missouri Office.

My former boss now lives with a black dog in the White House.

I wish I could have caught a Card's game while there!

Fixer Concept is looking good! I am not a fan of the font used and do not like it in initial caps. That's just one dude's opinion here.

More interest is on the wordmark... I don't claim to know better but, would a team prefer a mark that the team name can stand on it's own on some applications?

I have seen others that did such as Red Sox w/o Boston and Cardinals w/o St. Louis. It is probably not a hard and fast "rule" in design, but on this Board, you never know!

Again sorry about the Missouri talk cutting in!

P.S. Today on a car ride, I was "talking up" Columbia MO to my daughter who's in HS. I need to learn more about Mizzou's academic strengths before starting a "sell" job. We have time. Based on her grades, she very well will have good options (she takes after her mother!), financially we already eliminated Northwestern!!! :-(

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

yeah i guess ill make a newer version of the wordmark with just the team name. i really like the font though, just seems right to me. partly because one of my favorite places on campus is "Shakespeare's Pizza" and that reminds me of it haha.

and dont worry bout the MO talk :) I love talking bout columbia. brings back great memories. not sure i can go there financially but i really want to go to MU. My grades should be good enough. I wanna go into medical field though. maybe graphic design as a back up ;) columbia is amazing, not a bad choice if your daughter wants to go there :)

PS didnt wanna make a new thread because im not done yet, but after i did this one, i just got an urge to start another and have this done so far. what do you think?my dads old college. Central College Flying Dutchmen

dutchemenflag-1.png

Cool, I thought I saw it on a 3D helmet yesterday.

Hone your illustration skills, try to use Illustrator and Photoshop if possible.

Parallel to your play with sports logos here, practice medical (outer and internal organs*) illustrations too! (two birds one stone on your interests!)

*A-ah, from photos or other illustrations, don't be cutting up folks now!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Cool, I thought I saw it on a 3D helmet yesterday.

Hone your illustration skills, try to use Illustrator and Photoshop if possible.

Parallel to your play with sports logos here, practice medical (outer and internal organs*) illustrations too! (two birds one stone on your interests!)

*A-ah, from photos or other illustrations, don't be cutting up folks now!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Archived