Olympic Broadcaster Logos

Tannerman

Two years ago as the Beijing Olympics wrapped up, I started a topic wondering if anyone had ever attempted to archive the Broadcaster Logos used by various television networks associated with the Olympics... with an emphasis on the U.S.

Based on the limited data in that conversation, and my own personal interest in the topic, I continued to try to dig up Olympic Broadcaster Logos. Many screenshots, media guides, and lucky situations later, I wanted to share my findings with you guys.

olympics_introduction1.pngolympics_1960s.pngolympics_1970s.pngolympics_1980s.pngolympics_1990s.pngolympics_2000s.png

My archive of U.S. Olympic Broadcaster Logos :)

I've gone ahead and broken the collection down into decades, to put a historical context into the designs:

1. Introduction
  2. The 1960s
  3. The 1970s
  4. The 1980s
  5. The 1990s
  6. The 2000s and Beyond

Unfortunately, there are still a couple holes in the early parts of this archive, namely the 1960s. In some other cases, I've only been able to find B/W versions of logos, preferring to discover color.

In any case, take a look. I welcome your feedback and suggestions for attempting to improve this archive. Oh, and if you find a missing logo, feel free to share! :)

- Steve

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Should we start guessing what NBC's London 2012 logo will look like? They typically reveal it during the Closing Ceremonies.

Hopefully better designed than that disaster of an olympics logo

I'm not certain, but I think it might be physically impossible to design a worse logo than the London 2012 disaster.

CBS seems to have a consistent and classy Olympics graphics package.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Thanks for posting this.

I love the Calgary Winter Games logo that ABC used. Utilizing the ABC font with the Olympic rings is just genius. Other than that it seems like most of the broadcast logos have been just average for me. The most recent NBC logos have been quite spectacular IMO. The Athens, Beijing, Torino, and Vancouver logos are a step above most if not all of the logos in the past.

Did anyone notice that the mountains used in the NBC Vancouver logo are the same mountains as the NBC Torino logo? Specifically the left side is the same. The mountains for Vancouver have been narrowed up and very slightly rotated, but they are the same. Plus they just mirrored the left side and made a couple of minor modifications to make the right side mountains.

Guess they figure no one will notice after 4 years.

Did anyone notice that the mountains used in the NBC Vancouver logo are the same mountains as the NBC Torino logo? Specifically the left side is the same. The mountains for Vancouver have been narrowed up and very slightly rotated, but they are the same. Plus they just mirrored the left side and made a couple of minor modifications to make the right side mountains.

Interesting observation:

image_tvlogo_2006_torino2.pngimage_tvlogo_2010_vancouver1.jpg

Interesting observation:

The mountains really do look the same!!!

Interesting observation:

The mountains really do look the same!!!

good call.

I like the mountains in the Torino logo much better. BTW, Is there a reason that they doubled it for the Vancouver logo? Are there two mountain peaks in that area or something?

Archived