Adobe CS5. It's almost here.

chuckymack

The suite looks pretty good. And for Mac OS X, it's finally going to be available in a 64-bit flavor because it was rewritten on Cocoa. I'd like to see some of the new Illustrator features, though.

I delayed upgrading because I anticipated CS5 being released while in school. I didn't think it would be next month, but I'm glad I didn't spend money too soon. Plus I still have my student discount available.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Why upgrade for probably two or three features that you probably will never use? I bought CS4 a little over a year ago and won't drop any money on an upgrade because I use CS4 at work and I really doubt the changes made will make my life better.

I'll stick with CS4 'til the right...um...'opportunity' arises. Some folks are still using 7. lol

It's kind of like buying Madden. Sure, you can buy every new one, but it's better to skip a year or 2 so you can actually tell you've bought a new one.

Is there a list of changes out there....because for CS4 the only real reason I bought that was the new "snap" tool (where it snaps to a point like AutoCAD)

I've been wondering the same thing. So far, all I've found are a few videos detailing the new PhotoShop features. If I find anything, I'll be sure to post it.

Sigs are for sissies.

i think ill be sticking with CS4. at least with PS, i havent heard/seen anythng about other programs. the only thing i could find really useful with PS is the painting technology. ability to "mix" colors and "wet the canvas" and the brush tip options are cool. i do digital paintings only as a hobby though, so i may just wait for CS6 before i purchase anything new.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

im a beta tester for after effects on cs5 and there are some pretty substantial changes under the hood in that particular program that make it run in a much more efficient manner now.

however, in terms of new features etc it seems about the same. this basically means not only a layout for the program but all the plugins id have to buy again.

on the other hand photoshop looks pretty rad.

Fraser, I mainly use Illustrator and InDesign with some Photoshop to spice up my renderings....is there anything new that would warrant me getting it when it comes out or am I fine to wait?

Fraser, I mainly use Illustrator and InDesign with some Photoshop to spice up my renderings....is there anything new that would warrant me getting it when it comes out or am I fine to wait?

i dont know to be honest mate, as i say im only a tester for after effects.

its difficult to imagine what they would do with illustrator? any improvement in recent iterations have tended to seem like fiddling or gimmickry. i cant think of anything all that ground breaking?

perhaps im missing something? photoshop on the other hand tends to come up with really interesting stuff like the above video.

i reckon its one of those wait and see things.

the good thing about ai and ps is that you can save as legacy files and have no real issues with versions. after effects on the other hand is not as straight forward. nothing is backward compatible,

so a change to cs5 is a bigger leap.

I don't really plan on upgrading from CS3 until it's absolutely necessary. I learned everything on CS2/CS3, I use CS3 at home and at work every day and they suit me fine. Last fall they upgraded to CS4 at school and the changes have been more of an annoyance to me than anything else. I absolutely HATE that everything opens up in tabs by default and the permanent, Windows-style background window in InDesign bugs the hell out of me.

The only way I upgrade anytime soon is if Illustrator gets the ability to do multi-page documents.

Archived