NAPBL - North American Professional Basketball League

GeoTheo

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you stated that some large metropolitan areas that already have NBA teams would receive NAB teams, but really, New York and Los Angeles already have two teams. Do they need any more? And the Bay Area already has the Warriors.

For California, why not focus on San Diego, and perhaps Bakersfield and/or Barstow? If you want another team in New York, what about Buffalo or Rochester?

In the excitement of posting my first concepts I forgot to give decriptions.

- Mounties, a Mountie spinning a basketball on his finger. I did a bunch of these and they were always to rigid or too cartoony, I thought this one was somewhere in between.

- Imperials, a basketball behind the New York City skyline. It is actually just a generic skyline with buildings that look somewhat like the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building.

-Tropics, my solute to Jackie Moon. A basketball sun setting behind the ocean and a palm tree. I know Tampa isn't exactly a tropical paradise, but it's much more so than Flint. This logo is similar to the Gold Coast Suns, it was my inspiration for this logo.

-Chiefs, I wanted something Fire related for Chicago and settled on Chiefs. The logo is a basketball in the center of a firefighter badge.

-Outlaws, inspired by the Quad City River Bandits logo of my youth, a basketball wearing a bandana and mask.

-I have always had a team in Seattle, there were originally (back in '94) the Jets, then Stormers and Storm. When the Sonics skipped town and their name behind I picked it up. The logo is a modification of the Sonics original logo.

I know you stated that some large metropolitan areas that already have NBA teams would receive NAB teams, but really, New York and Los Angeles already have two teams. Do they need any more? And the Bay Area already has the Warriors.

For California, why not focus on San Diego, and perhaps Bakersfield and/or Barstow? If you want another team in New York, what about Buffalo or Rochester?

I do have Buffalo and San Diego. As far as New York and LA I debated using them, but I wanted to keep teams in markets over 1,000,000 but I also wanted them to highly recongnizable too. I toyed with smaller market like Dayton, Oh and Grand Rapids, MI, and Bakersfield didn't make the cut in terms of population. I ultimitly decided that I wanted the names New York and L.A. The average NBA market is like 4.5 million so NY and LA could support more teams if it were real...

I like your idea of a AAA basketball league. I've lived in the Seattle area for 5 years now. The one thing I know is that this city loved it's Supersonics and hated losing them. If in reality you could actually bring in a minor league here, there is no way the fans here would allow you to name them the Supersonics. They want that name back when the NBA returns. Just a friendly FYI. Do with it as you will. I do like the Jets name though.

I like your Tropics & Imperials logos. I don't care for the color combo on the Outlaws. It's not "outlaw" tough. I look forward to your Conquistadors logo.

Well you might want to rethink the Montreal Mounties... Not a good link at all. There was a pretty hot and heavy thread on here a few weeks or months ago on that very topic if you want to find out why. As for your logos, they are all very basic and very 90's clip arty.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Well you might want to rethink the Montreal Mounties... Not a good link at all. There was a pretty hot and heavy thread on here a few weeks or months ago on that very topic if you want to find out why. As for your logos, they are all very basic and very 90's clip arty.

Thank you for the comment I really appreciate it. I debated using Mounties for Montreal. I ultimately decided to use the name since the RCMP is an iconic symbol for Canada, even if they don't have much of presence in Quebec. I know that people in Quebec/Montreal may object to or be offended by the name, but people here in Des Moines objected to and were offeneded by renaming the hockey team the Chops. Do you have any suggestions for a better name?

As for the logos, I know that I am not the most technically proficient graphic artist (it's a hobby), but I was trying to keep them simple and 90's-ish. I loved the NBA logos of the early 90's and I feel that many of logos now are too busy. I am just trying to keep it simple. If you have any suggestions on how to make the less clip-arty, I would really appreciate the advice. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so original logos weren't very good, I see that now. I've been spending some time redoing some of those and creating some new ones. I think I am getting better but would like some comments.

A AUSTIN2s.png B MONTREAsL.png C JACKSONVILLE2s.png D PITTSBURG3.png E SANDIEGO2.png

A : I made the Austin Outlaws logo a little tougher, added dark blue, removed the "bandit" mask (which never looked right) and replaced it with dark "eyes".

B: I know, I know there are no Mounties in Quebec [http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/qc/index-eng.ht] but I still choose to use the name because it is an iconic symbol of Canada. Lots of changes here, changed the color scheme curt of his legs and added some shading.

C: Jacksonville Generals, named them the Generals because the city is named after General (President) Andrew Jackson. The logo is the famous statue of Jackson but I put a sword in his hand instead of his hat.

D: Pittsburgh Barons, a basketball wearing a top hat, monocle and mustache.

E: San Diego Conquistadors, named for the ABA team that once called San Diego home, a conquistador carrying a weapon (whatever it is) and a basketball shield.

I hope these are a little better than the logos I first posted.

They are in Quebec, their role is just different.

If I recall (and don't feel like reading their site) they are more focused on Federal crimes, drugs enforcement, immigration, etc. as opposed to other areas of the countries where they play a "day to day" role in law enforcement for certain smaller communities. The Quebec Provincial Police (Sureté du Québec) seem to have more of those local enforcement powers in small communities.

As for the use of the Mountie, you shall know that they (the mounties) made a huge fuss about their portayal in the Vancouver Olympics closing ceremonies. The mounties image is also copyrighted (they had given the licencing right to Disney for a 5-year term in 1995)

And trust me that as iconic as it may be, it's a FEDERALIST icon, and as such would never work in Montreal...

To me, it would be like having General Lee or the Confederate Flag for a Gettysburg PA or New England team...

Move them to Gatineau-Hull.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I know, I know. I understand all of this, and I don?t want this to turn into a political forum. This is just project that I am working on for fun, I am not trying to instigate, I am just trying to get comments on the logos so I can make improvements. Let?s just pretend that I never called the Montreal Mounties and they are called the Canadian Mounties and they are not located in Montreal/Quebec. I am serious I don?t want this to be a controversial and I don?t want to offend anyone. This is just a fictitious league. It is not real. This is just a fun project for me. I would really appreciate constructive comments and critique on the logos.

I know, I know. I understand all of this, and I don?t want this to turn into a political forum. This is just project that I am working on for fun, I am not trying to instigate, I am just trying to get comments on the logos so I can make improvements. Let?s just pretend that I never called the Montreal Mounties and they are called the Canadian Mounties and they are not located in Montreal/Quebec. I am serious I don?t want this to be a controversial and I don?t want to offend anyone. This is just a fictitious league. It is not real. This is just a fun project for me. I would really appreciate constructive comments and critique on the logos.

Sorry, trust me as an "ex=pat" I am sick of politics too...

As far as logos are concerned, I like the updates you've done to all logos.

The only issue I have with the mountie is that it feels strange to have him cut-off at the waist, unless you add a wordmark at the bottom, Cound say MONTREAL and have a wavy shape of a wavy highlight in it to mimmick the shape.

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Thanks for the comments. You are very correct, the Mountie is abruptly cut off, and I am not sure how I am going to deal with it. I am considering a wordmark as well as putting him in some kind of a shape maybe a circle, maple leaf, flour-de-leis (if I leave them in Montreal, looks like I'll probably move them to Vancouver and come up with a new name for Montreal). I am also considering adding the rest of his body, but the full body logo looks strange to me as well.

• 6 months later...

I started this thread last spring and it wasn't very well received. Admittedly the logos posted weren't all that good. I've scraped a lot of the old logos and replaced them with what I hope are some better ones as well as add some new teams. The league is now named the North American Professional Basketball League and it no longer a fictitious minor league, but is just a fictitious Basketball League in major markets in the United States, Canada and Mexico. This is now more in line with my original plan for the league . Below are the first 19 primary logos, the image quality isn't very high and I'm still not the most talented, but I hope you enjoy.

fa5b5845.png

I started this thread last spring and it wasn't very well received. Admittedly the logos posted weren't all that good. I've scraped a lot of the old logos and replaced them with what I hope are some better ones as well as add some new teams. The league is now named the North American Professional Basketball League and it no longer a fictitious minor league, but is just a fictitious Basketball League in major markets in the United States, Canada and Mexico. This is now more in line with my original plan for the league . Below are the first 19 primary logos, the image quality isn't very high and I'm still not the most talented, but I hope you enjoy.

fa5b5845.png

Could you post these images individually and bigger so they are easier to make out?

Archived