Cleveland Barons NHL Logo & Uniforms

thebigeh

There used to be a Cleveland Barons American Hockey League team back a long time ago. They were so good at winning Calder Cups by the early 1950s, they were considered to join the National Hockey League as its seventh franchise. But for whatever reason it never happened.

Using old photos from the past, and my own imagination, I came up with a design for the Barons had they been accepted into the NHL (not to be confused with the NHL Barons version of the late 70s that was doomed to fail).

The Cleveland Barons primary logo:

ClevelandBaronsAHLLogo1-1.jpg

Black & White

ClevelandBaronsLogo-BlackWhite-1.jpg

The logo was the one the AHL team eventualy used on their jerseys by the 60s. The colors I chose - navy blue and orange - were to make it stand out from the other teams that used a red white and blue color scheme. And there is a Cleveland connection to these colors. The navy blue comes from the Indians, and the orange comes from the Browns.

Using the NHL Edge template from Reebok, here are the uniforms they wear:

ClevelandBaronsHomeUniforms.jpg

Home

ClevelandBaronsRoadUniforms.jpg

Road

Yes, I know some of the colors of the lettering is off. I went to convert the files with my GIMP 2.6, but the arched CLEVELAND type never showed itself. So I had to convert using paint. If anyone else can tell me a better way, I'd love to hear it.

The logos I got them from:

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

C&C...

Looks like a phallic Mr. Peanut rising through a donut.

My thoughts exactly.

But, seeing as though it's not your fault, I like it. The uniforms are nice. The only thing that bugs me is the drop-shaddow "CLEVELAND", it looks out of place because Barons is written flat. Other than that, I like the concept.

Looks like a phallic Mr. Peanut rising through a donut.

My thoughts exactly.

But, seeing as though it's not your fault, I like it. The uniforms are nice. The only thing that bugs me is the drop-shaddow "CLEVELAND", it looks out of place because Barons is written flat. Other than that, I like the concept.

I know. The word "CLEVELAND" wasn't supposed to be a drop shadow. Like I said, I couldn't transform it using GIMP because that word wouldn't show up. So I had to use Paint to get it to show. If anybody can tell me how to fix it, I would appreciate it.

I think you have something really going here, I like the idea alot. My only critques I think would be to drop the number on the front off the jersey (right now it's sort of cluttering the front), and that I think the barber pole stripes on the shoulders are out of place, but that's just my opinion. Overall I think everything else looks great, and would look really good in that time era, keep it up! One question, are you making Barons uniforms from then up to the present as like a uniform history, or will it just be this uniform?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I think you have something really going here, I like the idea alot. My only critques I think would be to drop the number on the front off the jersey (right now it's sort of cluttering the front), and that I think the barber pole stripes on the shoulders are out of place, but that's just my opinion. Overall I think everything else looks great, and would look really good in that time era, keep it up! One question, are you making Barons uniforms from then up to the present as like a uniform history, or will it just be this uniform?

I'm hoping sometime in the future to create a series of Barons uniforms from the 50s to now. But they will be different from what I have posted now. I've already completed a jersey crest for them. I just have to plan for the style of uniforms.

why not use original cleveland Nhl colors,they move to new jersey and became the devils

No, KC/Denver's old team moved to Jersey. The Cleveland Barons are kinda/sorta the Sharks now (the Gunds owned the Barons, merged with the North Stars, split with the North Stars and took half their players to the SFBA to become the Sharks).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 4 weeks later...

why not use original cleveland Nhl colors,they move to new jersey and became the devils

No, KC/Denver's old team moved to Jersey. The Cleveland Barons are kinda/sorta the Sharks now (the Gunds owned the Barons, merged with the North Stars, split with the North Stars and took half their players to the SFBA to become the Sharks).

The NHL Barons were actually the old California Seals/Oakland Seals/California Golden Seals. They moved to Cleveland after failing miserably to gain any kind of traction in the Bay Area. It was after two seasons in Cleveland that the Barons merged with the North Stars.

Funny how this chain of events ended up right back where it started, huh?

There used to be a Cleveland Barons American Hockey League team back a long time ago. They were so good at winning Calder Cups by the early 1950s, they were considered to join the National Hockey League as its seventh franchise. But for whatever reason it never happened.

Using old photos from the past, and my own imagination, I came up with a design for the Barons had they been accepted into the NHL (not to be confused with the NHL Barons version of the late 70s that was doomed to fail).

BaronsColor1.png

Color

BaronsBlackWhite1.png

Black & White

The logo was the one the AHL team eventualy used on their jerseys by the 60s. The colors I chose - navy blue and orange - were to make it stand out from the other teams that used a red white and blue color scheme. And there is a Cleveland connection to these colors. The navy blue comes from the Indians, and the orange comes from the Browns.

ClevelandBaronsHomeUniforms.png

Home

ClevelandBaronsRoadUniforms.png

Road

Yes, I know some of the colors of the lettering is off. I went to convert the files with my GIMP 2.6, but the arched CLEVELAND type never showed itself. So I had to convert using paint. If anyone else can tell me a better way, I'd love to hear it.

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

C&C...

Here's a quick history lesson on the original A.H.L. Cleveland Barons and the N.H.L. During World War II the Barons were invited in to the N.H.L. to become the eighth team (the NY Americans hadn't folded yet) but Cleveland owner Al Sutphin said no to the N.H.L. because he feared that his defection from the American League would cause that already war-strapped league to fold. The N.H.L. owners never forgot that "Uncle Al" turned them down. So in the mid-'50s when the Barons applied for N.H.L. membership after meeting all of the N.H.L.'s pre-requirements they were turned down in a strictly "rigged" vote from Norris House League owners. The Barons needed four votes out of six to be admitted. They only got three. Chicago, Detroit and the Rangers, all owned or controlled by the Norris Family, voted no. Toronto, Montreal and Boston-the independents-voted yes. 3-3 tie. You lose, Cleveland!

BaronsColor1.png

Color

BaronsBlackWhite1.png

Black & White

ClevelandBaronsHomeUniforms.png

Home

ClevelandBaronsRoadUniforms.png

Road

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

C&C...

Here's a quick history lesson on the original A.H.L. Cleveland Barons and the N.H.L. During World War II the Barons were invited in to the N.H.L. to become the eighth team (the NY Americans hadn't folded yet) but Cleveland owner Al Sutphin said no to the N.H.L. because he feared that his defection from the American League would cause that already war-strapped league to fold. The N.H.L. owners never forgot that "Uncle Al" turned them down. So in the mid-'50s when the Barons applied for N.H.L. membership after meeting all of the N.H.L.'s pre-requirements they were turned down in a strictly "rigged" vote from Norris House League owners. The Barons needed four votes out of six to be admitted. They only got three. Chicago, Detroit and the Rangers, all owned or controlled by the Norris Family, voted no. Toronto, Montreal and Boston-the independents-voted yes. 3-3 tie. You lose, Cleveland!

More like the NHL lost by ruining a fertile hockey market because of the Norris influence. Typical of the league's mentality back then.

Archived