Cleveland Cavaliers rebrand

knnhrvy16

Hey guys!

I've had this concept in the works for a while, and especially with the news of LeBron's departure, I wanted to try my hand at a new era of Cavaliers basketball.

Now, I know some of you guys will look at this and say "well, these colors represent failure", but I honestly think the Cavs had it right with thier late 90's-early 00's identity. The colors were unique, and in my opinion (getting to see them live against the Jazz once as well), the uniforms were flawless. The one problem I had however, was the execution of the logo, and really it was a small problem I had anyways. Growing up, I thought the logo was supposed to resemble a Cavalier, with a basketball head, net-patterned torso, and the blue streak being a feather. That's what I always thought it was. Now looking at it today, years later, i can still see where my thoughts were going, but it looks less and less like a Cavalier now.

Hence this concept.

I wanted to find a way to make my favorite Cavaliers identity work again. I started with the logo. My concerns, as stated, was that the logo really didn't look like a Cavalier like I thought it had. I made a new logo resembling the old, but having a completely different look about it. I replaced the basketball with an actual Cavalier's head and hat, and replaced the blue streak with a more definitive hat feather. I tried to make the torso retain the same sort of pattern, to still evoke the past a little. I used bicycle font on everything, because I thought it looked like it could pass as a nice modernization of the past font.

ClevelandCavaliersprimary.png

ClevelandCavalierssecondary.png

Now the uniforms. I made three uniforms; a home, a road, and an alternate. All three designs were obviously inspired by past Cavalier uniforms, but were also inspired by modern soccer uniforms in some parts. I really like Germany's little stripes on the front of thier kits, and thought something like that could work on the sides of the uniform. I tried to make a more modern piping design for all three as well. The alternate was inspired by the first set of the mid-90's uniforms, the one with the big stripe-sash-whatever looking thing it was supoposed to be on the front lol :P I made the front sash much more defined and this style of sash was inspired by the sash on the USMNT's uniforms.

ClevelandCavaliershome.png

ClevelandCavaliersroad.png

ClevelandCavaliersalternate.png

I really like how this one turned out. Let me know what you guys think!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Hello, this is my first post here but I've been checking out the forums for a while. As a Cavs fan (and Cleveland fan in general), you might still find some value in my opinion.

I don't like it.

Oh, you probably want me to expand on that, sorry. For one this was most Cavs fans least favorite identity. With the 70's Wine and Gold they had the Miracle of Richfield. With the 80's and early 90's blue and orange, they had Price, Daugherty, and Nance (EHLO TOO lol). This era had... nothing. Well, Z, but that's it.

The current idea of making the original Wine and Gold the permanent look is a good one IMO. It's time for the Cavs to stop having a hundred jerseys (especially since they won't sell any with LeBron gone) and have a common identity.

This is not that identity. The colors hold no value to the fans. While they may look pretty nice, they don't really mean anything to Clevelanders or the Cavs generally. Light blue, black, and orange was a dreadful part of our history. And while brown and orange in most scenarios can't look as nice as this combination, I'd say people from CLE see more in it than this.

The jersey design themselves look alright though. I'd say they are more fit for a college team IMO [the nearly monochrome look with piping I mean]. The stripe on the alt would be more fitting in the 90's. The use of the Cavalier head is odd, since the Cavs have never used anything like this (even the original logo with the Cavalier was turned the other way) and you would be mixing it with an era where they were simply referred to as the Cavs (even on your jersey). So, frankly, I'd have to give this a no. I'm personally not a fan of the colors, the logo, or the jerseys. This of course is not meant to offend you, because I think you executed your ideas very well. I just don't agree with what you had in mind.

Hope this helped a bit from a perspective point of view, though my thoughts didn't really enhance your project. Sorry.

Sorry, I don't like a lot of this even though I loved the '90s Cavs look. The decapitated cavalier head going through a basketball net makes no sense as a logo. As for the uniforms, they're just okay. I feel the home could use more black in order to make the scripts and number more legible, and both the home and away could use a lot more orange for color balance purposes. I do like the updated scripts and the alternate, though.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I was afraid of the logo looking a bit akward lol, I was hoping the torso would look more like a vest but I guess the hoop pattern is just too much haha :P thanks for the c&c everyone, and Akronite, I totally know what you mean and I appreciate your input. I'm glad to hear the thoughts of a Cavs fan, it's honestly very beneficial.

I'll go back to the drawing board with the logos, maybe the Cavalier head on it's own would work? What do you guys think? What would be the best way to make it better?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I was afraid of the logo looking a bit akward lol, I was hoping the torso would look more like a vest but I guess the hoop pattern is just too much haha :P thanks for the c&c everyone, and Akronite, I totally know what you mean and I appreciate your input. I'm glad to hear the thoughts of a Cavs fan, it's honestly very beneficial.

I'll go back to the drawing board with the logos, maybe the Cavalier head on it's own would work? What do you guys think? What would be the best way to make it better?

Hey, I'm a Cavs fan too! :D

6fQjS3M.png

oh that's right! Gahh I'm sorry, I knew that. I just got off work and my brain is fried :P lol, so as a fan, what do you think could make this better?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

oh that's right! Gahh I'm sorry, I knew that. I just got off work and my brain is fried :P lol, so as a fan, what do you think could make this better?

Haha it's fine. I'd say the logo's awkwardness and the home jersey's lack of black are the two biggest things I see. I also like the original lettering a bit more (maybe you could try Fargo Faro NF for the font, it looks more like the original) but all things considered I like this. The original was a very underrated set and yours captures that pretty well. Overall, very nice. I will say that I do like the idea of the cavalier head. I've always wanted the team to either get a cavalier logo or update the original logo, and I like the idea here. I'll definitely follow this thread to see what you come up with.

(And if you were wondering, I was kinda joking about the being a Cavs fan too. I always love it when fans of a team give me C&C, so I've tried to write more than normal.)

Also, do you use Paint for your concepts?

6fQjS3M.png

Haha it's fine. I'd say the logo's awkwardness and the home jersey's lack of black are the two biggest things I see. I also like the original lettering a bit more (maybe you could try Fargo Faro NF for the font, it looks more like the original) but all things considered I like this. The original was a very underrated set and yours captures that pretty well. Overall, very nice. I will say that I do like the idea of the cavalier head. I've always wanted the team to either get a cavalier logo or update the original logo, and I like the idea here. I'll definitely follow this thread to see what you come up with.

(And if you were wondering, I was kinda joking about the being a Cavs fan too. I always love it when fans of a team give me C&C, so I've tried to write more than normal.)

Also, do you use Paint for your concepts?

Okay, those are good things to know! I think I do have Fargo Faro NF, I'll give it a shot and see how it looks, now that I think of it, youre right, it is quite close to the original. Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate it! I'll work on everything you and the others have said and see what comes of it.

Haha and I figured you were joking, I was just kickin myself for not aknowledging the fact that you were a fan, even though i've known it for a long time haha :P

And I do use paint, yes. It's a little challenging sometimes but with alot of practice i've been able to use it pretty well. Sure it has it's drawbacks, but if you know how to use it, it's actually a pretty capeable program I think. It just depends on how much patience you have :P

In the meantime, I just cranked these out: these are versions of the Cavalier head on its own, with the first being the original concept and the other three being recolored to past and present Cavalier color schemes, just in case anyone was curious as to what each head would look like with a given color set. Do any look good to you guys?

ClevelandCavaliersoptions.png

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

i really dont know why but when i saw that musketeer guy the first thing that came to mind was the zig-zag rolling paper guy

zig_zag_doc_forbes_wm.jpg

overall those straight lines are doing some crazy things to my eyes

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

I really like this. The updated cavalier looks very good (the cavalier/net wasn't working). I'd definitely keep the light blue, black, and orange. Those are gorgeous together, and I hate that the Cavs ditched them.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Archived