Kansas City Wizards Concept

Chief.

Something I worked on for a couple of days when I found time (meaning, I pushed off other things I SHOULD be doing for school). I've actually never made a soccer crest before, so feel free to rip it to shreds if you'd like. Anyway, it's obviously movie-inspired, which could be a good or a bad thing, depending on how you see it. I see it as a unique design opportunity; others may see it as corny, unnecessary, and nonsensical (considering the Land of Oz is not IN Kansas, but rather, we took the movie's starting location and ran with it). :)

It's pretty simple, maybe too simple. But, that's why I bring this stuff here. You guys give the best advice:

KCWizards1.png

UPDATE

I'm just toying around with it, but I removed the yellow, because I'm finding it hard to incorporate into the jerseys. Therefore, the yellow-brick-road-inspired color is out for now. I tried a shield shape, but if the circle works better, let me know. Maybe I'll listen to you. :P

KCWiz.png

ANOTHER UPDATE

So, here's something I've been messing with concerning colors. To set them apart from both the Galaxy and the Sounders, I brought back their black, dropped the blue (it's IMPOSSIBLE to mesh with the green, which I want to keep), and added more Yellow Brick Road. I messed with the shading on the towers, as well as the color of the soccer ball.

And, I fixed the shield to follow the curve of the ball. It looks much better:

KCWiz3.png

UPDATE: 7-14

Going off the rainbow idea, because I like the call-back to their previous logo and jerseyes. Here's a logo with two different color schemes I worked on. I'm still trying to get the "KC" or "WIZARDS" incorporated. For now, I enlarged the towers and added a striped background.

WIZ5.png

Oddly enough, the first thing I thought of wasn't Oz, it was the alternate-universe Kansas from the 4th book of Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

It's a nice logo, though, particularly the shade of green you went with. I'm not sure the yellow is necessary, but it's your concept.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Wow, WOW. I really love this. The colors are really great together, and the Oz towers (is that what you call them?) are really cool. I definetely think this is the route to go for Kansas City, this would be a really good look for them. I think one suggestion I have is maybe to have it say "Kansas City Wizards" wrapping around the circle. Do that, and I think you have THE perfect crest. Keep the colors and everything. Nice work! Are you planning on doing kits?

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Freakin' insane. Hope to see more concepts from you Chief. Want to see kits too! The only tidbit I have is the thin yellow? shading you have on the buildings is unnecessary. It'd just get lost far away and isn't really needed at all.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

The yellow-less shield works really well.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Something I worked on for a couple of days when I found time (meaning, I pushed off other things I SHOULD be doing for school). I've actually never made a soccer crest before, so feel free to rip it to shreds if you'd like. Anyway, it's obviously movie-inspired, which could be a good or a bad thing, depending on how you see it. I see it as a unique design opportunity; others may see it as corny, unnecessary, and nonsensical (considering the Land of Oz is not IN Kansas, but rather, we took the movie's starting location and ran with it). :)

It's pretty simple, maybe too simple. But, that's why I bring this stuff here. You guys give the best advice:

KCWizards1.png

UPDATE

I'm just toying around with it, but I removed the yellow, because I'm finding it hard to incorporate into the jerseys. Therefore, the yellow-brick-road-inspired color is out for now. I tried a shield shape, but if the circle works better, let me know. Maybe I'll listen to you. :P

KCWiz.png

Cant say as I'd have made the Oz link without the description but the one piece of advice I would give is if you're going to round off the bottom of the shield, which I probably wouldn't do, I'd make sure the curve mirrors the curve of the ball exactly, the expanding blue space at the bottom just looks kinda strange.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I also preferred the original emerald towers. I like the shield shape, but I feel like you should keep the bottom in line with the ball.

Also, maybe switch out the light blue for a deep athletic gold/yellow. To avoid looking like LA you might have to make the emerald more prominent. The wizard is from Emerald City-why not make that the primary color?

I also preferred the original emerald towers. I like the shield shape, but I feel like you should keep the bottom in line with the ball.

Also, maybe switch out the light blue for a deep athletic gold/yellow. To avoid looking like LA you might have to make the emerald more prominent. The wizard is from Emerald City-why not make that the primary color?

I like this suggestion. After all, yellow adds to the mythos because of the Yellow Brick Road. Light blue and emerald are crap together on a uniform (I'm finding that out now that I'm working on the kits), and I don't want to lose the emerald, because in that case, I may as well drop the towers and start over... and screw that. :P

Anyway, it's updated above.

I think 'C' in the previous colors would've looked really nice.

I'll second that :)

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Its not a bad start, I would personally try to tie in the word mark or the team name into the actual badge itself though. Or maybe include the initials KC in the crest at least?

Also I would try to go a different route than have the large soccer ball in the background.... one of the most common complaints I hear from soccer fans is "we know what sport this is, we don't need a ball reminding us" and the the ball is really a key component of the entire badge, so obviously it may be hard to substitute, but may be worth looking at.

The Wizards have had awful crests in the past, but I'd suggest maybe adding something from the teams history... a rainbow in some form might fit well with your theme and brand, also stays consistent with the Oz theme. Maybe replace the ball with a curved spectrum of colors? Would work as a nice nod to the past.

1996KCWiz.png

kansas-city-wizards-away-football-shirt-1996-1997-s_2014_1.jpg

I'd really be excited to see what you come up with for a uniform as well.

USMNT-1.png

Archived