Anaheim Ducks Rebrand

wildwing64

A couple of reasons for this concept: firstly, all I've ever done on here as far as concepts go is post recolours of paint templates, so I've been wanting to move away from that and into vector-based design instead. Secondly, when I leave University I want to go into something to do with graphic design, so I need to start building up a portfolio. One area I'm particularly interested in is - of course - sports team branding, so for my first portfolio item I've been putting together an Anaheim Ducks concept.

Over at AllDucks in the Third Jersey thread, a lot of different concepts have been shared from all over, and there have been all kinds of different opinions on them. Some are happy with the Ducks current colour scheme and want to see the duckfoot 'D' on the front of the uniforms, while others think it won't look right. Some like the idea of a duck flying across the front, while others feel it doesn't look aggressive enough: there's at least one person who hates the idea of a 'realistic' looking duck as a primary crest. There are also a few fans who simply want the original Mighty Ducks logo back.

So for my rebrand, I went with a flying duck drawn in a stylized way that isn't too realistic or too overwhelmingly cartoony:

PrimaryLogo.png

I'll be the first to admit that my lining may feel a bit rough. Anyway, the colours of Jade Green and Orange are very Mallard Duck-like, but I borrowed them from the franchise's past and present identities (so it's basically Mighty Ducks green with Anaheim Ducks orange). The two colours are also a reference to the Orange County Seal. The silver accent on the wing is there for good measure.

For the uniforms, I've worked with GFB's template. As disappointing as it may seem, I've essentially reworked the Ducks' current uniforms, removing the gold and placing the colours onto the jerseys as I see fit. So the previously Metallic Gold stripe is now Orange, and the black at the bottom has been replaced with Jade Green, somewhat harkening back to the Mighty Ducks era.

HomeUniform.png

RoadUniform.png

This is all I've got so far, and I may post a secondary mark, along with a third jersey later. So now I ask: does the logo feel like it's missing anything? Do I need to add something else to the colour scheme? Would a different numbering font look better?

Any and all C&C is welcome and appreciated.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Well, a few pointers:

Go back and really study two things: 1) sports logos, and 2) ducks. The line wight is too thin and doesn't give the illustration the ferocity it needs. The thin lines make it look a bit cartoony. The shading also doesn't make sense. Usually the shadows are on the bottom where the light doesn't reach. Also, if you want to build a portfolio, try working on some original uniforms. It doesn't make sense to keep the uniforms if everything else has changed.

I agree with bohob. Try to create your own, unique uniform set if you want this to be portfolio potential. The logo, whether you were aiming for it to be or not, appears cartoony anyways. Study a duck's physical appearance and how it moves in flight. Shadow is definitely another thing that could use a slight improvement, but overall not bad so far. I would advise taking out that smile on the duck's beak and replace it with almost a scowl. It will look much better.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I've done some reworking to the primary logo, but no new jerseys just yet.

PrimaryLogoVersion2.png

The general shape of the duck basically remains the same, along with the eye and the beak, although the smile has been removed to make him look a bit angrier. The other features have been changed up, a white tail feather has been added, along with an orange outline.

Does it look more ferocious now? Do you like the changes I've made? Should I remove one outline in favour of the other?

mTBXgML.png

maybe it's me but why don't you try this...

Take the ducks original hockey mask logo idea - imagine that logo without the goalie mask. Give that a try! It'd be the same angle, I think it'd be really cool!

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

I still don't like the eye or the grap highlight

I'm not familiar with that word. Are you referring to the wing or the tail? Or was that a typo?

It's getting better, but the wing and eye need more work.

What is it about the eye that you don't like? I'm personally happy with how it looks, but are you suggesting that I should get rid of the black outline or add a pupil or something?

mTBXgML.png

Honestly, I think you need to scrap the logo altogether.

Although I don't mind that you're using the Ducks current uni design like an earlier poster did, I really have no love for your logo. Love your choice of colors though. I always thought the Ducks should have kept the jade, ditched the eggplant (in favor of Orange, as in ORANGE County) and that would have been PERFECT.

AnaheimGrungeSigv2.png

I agree with, bohob. Try to make the eye and beak more flowing. They're looking ok, but they still need more work becoming organic. The logo looks MUCH better than before, but try to fix those tiny errors and this should look great.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Made some minor changes to the logo: tweaked the wings, the tail feather (which I must admit I'm still not completely sure about), removed silver, made the wingtip orange, and adjusted the eye's position.

PrimaryLogoVersion3.png

The eye and beak, to me at least, do feel more aligned with each other now, and I think he looks a lot meaner.

Thoughts?

mTBXgML.png

Archived