Kansas City Wizards Rebranded as Sporting KC

Ben7

Source

"Apparently Wizards president Robb Heineman discussed the notion of rebranding the team in conjunction with the new stadium in a radio interview this week"

Some concepts have just recently been done on these forums and obviously it has been talked about forever...

I think with that Ownershipgroup wanting to set themselves apart from the previous one and the new Stadium a rebrand or update of some sort could be a very real possibility.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's great news. If anyone in the MLS is due for a complete overhaul, it's Kansas City. The concept Chief made would be perfect for them, I really hope that if this is true, that they go for something similar.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I personally would like to see the Wizards name dropped, not in favor of a euro-ish name, but because I think "Wizards" is corny (that goes for the NBA too, bring back the Bullets!)

In regards to the kits, their currents are too drab...

Id like to see and all black (home) and all white (away) kit with thin rainbow stripes along one side (like Germany's current WC kits*see below) to keep some of the teams original color scheme.

germany-world-cup-soccer-shirt.jpg

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I don't know, I like that "Wizards" actually has meaning in the way it is used for Kansas City. I don't mind the name being used for that reason. If you know the meaning, it's actually really neat.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The MLS has a Red team (RBNY ...no one else counts) an Orange team (HOU), a Blue team (Gals), a Forest Green team (POR), a Puke Green team (SEA), a Piss Yellow team (CLB), an Aston Villa team (COL), a fake team (RSL), and a team with no supporters (FCD).

But the MLS has NO Purple team.

KC - please fill the void please. We don't need anymore reds or blues...

NYCdog.png

The MLS has a Red team (RBNY ...no one else counts) an Orange team (HOU), a Blue team (Gals), a Forest Green team (POR), a Puke Green team (SEA), a Piss Yellow team (CLB), an Aston Villa team (COL), a fake team (RSL), and a team with no supporters (FCD).

Ohh I love the constant knocks I hear about my hometown defending champions....

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I don't know, I like that "Wizards" actually has meaning in the way it is used for Kansas City. I don't mind the name being used for that reason. If you know the meaning, it's actually really neat.

Not only that, but they have enough history with the Wizards name (including a MLS Cup and a Lamar Hunt Cup) that dropping it would be a huge mistake. There's less than a handful of clubs in MLS that need a complete overhaul at this point and KC is not one of them.

I'm from KC and the only association the name would have with the city would be a Wizard of Oz/Kansas reference. At least that's all I'm aware.

Am I missing something else more meaningful?

Also, I really like the concept that Chief did. If only some Wizards exec frequented this board.

5660299338_f9de1a078e_z.jpg

5659732257_11a2c8d0d4_z.jpg

I'm from KC and the only association the name would have with the city would be a Wizard of Oz/Kansas reference. At least that's all I'm aware.

Also, I really like the concept that Chief did. If only some Wizards exec frequented this board.

Yeah that's pretty much it. Idk, I just really love that reference. You don't see teams refer to movies in anything very often :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Nice. I think it's a unique name/reference and fits the team even better now that they actually play on the Kansas side of Kansas City.

Being a Kansan, and dealing with Dorothy jokes most of my life, has made me wonder why more Wizard of Oz references aren't associated with Seattle than Kansas. Seattle is the Emerald City and through the whole movie the characters are trying to reach the Emerald City. The famous line even states that the Dorothy is NOT in Kansas. Just an observation. I suppose I should save it for the Judy Garland board I frequent.

You want something more meaningful than an iconic movie that's been standard viewing for every American in the last half-century (and probably longer)?

You want something more meaningful than a movie that's been standard viewing for every American in the last half-century (and probably longer)... really?

Really just wanting to clarify. Making sure I wasn't missing something.

To shift the focus towards a potential rebrand, I think the the team has a difficult decision to make.

Like previously stated, they have an established brand with some success in the past and of course the team's name was the Wizards when Lamar Hunt was the owner so it would be a nice way to remember/honor him.

But at the same time, I think they could do better as far as nicknames go and if they are ever going to change things up this is the perfect time to do it. With interest high thanks to the WC, the game against ManU and the new stadium, the team could really put the past few years of futility behind them and start fresh with a lot of momentum.

there is some risk bc i dont think they current sets are awful. but I think, as a fan, I'd be willing to roll the uni dice.

Didn't Real Salt Lake win the title last year?

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Still doesn't mean their identity isn't completely contrived and in need of a re-brand.

I've suggested Salt Lake Royals in the past, which is basically the Americanized version of Real Salt Lake. They wouldn't even have to change the interlocking RSL on their crest.

Still doesn't mean their identity isn't completely contrived and in need of a re-brand.

I've suggested Salt Lake Royals in the past, which is basically the Americanized version of Real Salt Lake. They wouldn't even have to change the interlocking RSL on their crest.

Generally speaking I like the Euro MLS names, but I have to agree that Real Salt Lake is a little much. I'm not even opposed to the inclusion of "royal" in the same. I take issue with them using the Spanish word "Real" instead of "Royal." Utah does not come to mind when I think of areas in the US with a strong Spanish or Latino connection. Go with Salt Lake Royals or Royal Salt Lake and call it a day.

Generally speaking I like the Euro MLS names, but I have to agree that Real Salt Lake is a little much. I'm not even opposed to the inclusion of "royal" in the same. I take issue with them using the Spanish word "Real" instead of "Royal." Utah does not come to mind when I think of areas in the US with a strong Spanish or Latino connection. Go with Salt Lake Royals or Royal Salt Lake and call it a day.

I don't know, as a Real fan, I think Americanizing the name would be a bad route. For one, I haven't ever come across a fellow Real fan who didn't like the identity, and two, where we've already won a cup, there's alot of sentimentality towards the identity from us RSL fans. So if any changes at all were to be made, I'd be heavily dissapointed.

And though the Salt Lake area was founded by white settlers, much of the state was explored by Spanish expeditions and was at one point Mexican territory, so it does actually have more Hispanic heritage than people think.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

I don't know, as a Real fan, I think Americanizing the name would be a bad route. For one, I haven't ever come across a fellow Real fan who didn't like the identity, and two, where we've already won a cup, there's alot of sentimentality towards the identity from us RSL fans. So if any changes at all were to be made, I'd be heavily dissapointed.

And though the Salt Lake area was founded by white settlers, much of the state was explored by Spanish expeditions and was at one point Mexican territory, so it does actually have more Hispanic heritage than people think.

Well the thing is that changing the name to Salt Lake Royals or Royal Salt Lake wouldn't be much of an identity change.

As for the Spanish connection, yes it was explored by the Spanish, and yes it was part of Mexico when Mexico gained independence from Spain. That being said there's a reason why the Americans were able to take all of what is now Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and California without facing serious military resistance. Though the Spanish, and later Mexicans, explored and claimed these areas they never really settled them like they did in Mexico proper, Central, and South America. So there is a Spanish connection, but it's very flimsy.

I'm not against the Euro-style name, I'm just against the use of a Spanish identity when the Spanish connection to the area is tenuous.

I've always thought their logo was really boring. I mean I don't really like it when a team, especially soccer just uses a wordmark as a logo.

P.S. Teal Bunbury is a beast!

Akron Zips dominating MLS

I understand what you mean Ice Cap, I'm just trying to say that I'm sure the fans wouldn't take to even the slightest of changes very well. Me personally, I think "Salt Lake Royals" sounds like a name that's trying too hard to make a point of Americanization. I just wouldn't really go for it.

I think one of the main reasons they went with a Spanish name was to attract the large population of Hispanic fans here (me being one of them). There is a large Hispanic population in Utah, and it gives them something to connect to. I understand what you're saying about the Hispanic culture, I just think, as one of Hispanic origin myself, that there's more of a culture here than others believe.

Sorry I'm dragging this off topic :P anyways, one thing I want to add about Kansas City, I think they'll do this right. Recent designs from the MLS have turned out well, so I have a good feeling this will turn out well if it happens.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Archived