Original Mets Concept

kevinmets

I know I just did a 30-MLB-teams project, but they were all based on currently-existing logos & wordmarks (besides the Rockies), with some new color schemes and whatnot.

HOWEVER, separately I've been working on a completely original Mets concept.

I admit the wordmark is kind of plain, but I'm going for a "timeless/traditional" look.

And the color scheme is a faded blue, faded orange-red, and stronger cream, based on the decor of Citi Field.

I'm especially proud of the primary logo, and the home alt #1.

newmets.jpg

Comments & criticism please!!!

That first home alt would be amazing with their actual cap logo... I would buy it if they actually made it.

I like the color scheme and the primary logo but I don't like the cap logo (their current one is perfect) and the use of Trajan throughout the whole concept. Overall, it's well-done but could use some minor improvements.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I like the color scheme and the primary logo but I don't like the cap logo (their current one is perfect) and the use of Trajan throughout the whole concept. Overall, it's well-done but could use some minor improvements.

Hahaha way to pick out my font :D

I appreciate your comments, your designs have been some of my favorites on this board!

I gotta say this is a damm good concept. Im not really a fan of the cap logo because i think their current one is perfect. Everything else though looks real good.

Thanks! I kind of agree with you that the cap logo is not necessarily an improvement. It's merely a concept I've been kicking around in my mind for a while...

I was trying to make these as anti-Yankees as possible (hence no pinstripes), and having an "interlocking" NY is very Yankees as well. Thus I placed the N on top of the Y (or at least that's the explanation I'm sticking with :grin:)

Thanks! By the way, that reminds me of something else I wanted to put in my post - your first home alt reminds me of a Mercury Mets concept I did a few months back:

Awesome, you must know by my avatar that I'm a big fan of the Mercury Mets :D

My big criticism is on the Home Alt 1. The cream portion is not continuous from the front to the back.

You're absolutely right, I didn't even notice that. I'll try and make a fixed version in the next day or so.

Thanks for the C&C everyone! Anyone else?

I think I keyed in on the cap more than anything. I'm not sure I feel like it's an upgrade over what they have currently since it's so tied to the old Giants cap. It's an interesting idea for an alternative NY cap though. The rest is certainly imaginative, though. Thanks for sharing it.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

That's very sharp. I love the "anti-Yankees" angle you took. As others have said the cap logo is a downgrade, but why not try a NY Knights style NY:

royhobbs_bbcard.jpg

Different from the Yankees but still sorta iconic(plus they basically stole the Mets NY from the NY Giants, so why not borrow from a famous movie?).

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

The overwhelming majority was that I should return back to the traditional cap logo. For consistency's sake, I went back to the traditional road script as well, and created a similar home script. It is admittedly very Red Sox-ish but I think it works.

newmets2.jpg

These look really good...I like the new font a lot better, and I don't think it looks too much like the Red Sox. My only suggestion would be to carry the sleve piping over to the orange and blue jerseys, and possibly outline the home and road hat logo in cream. And that main logo is SWEET! Very nice work!

These look really good...I like the new font a lot better, and I don't think it looks too much like the Red Sox. My only suggestion would be to carry the sleve piping over to the orange and blue jerseys, and possibly outline the home and road hat logo in cream. And that main logo is SWEET! Very nice work!

I have to respectfully disagree. I liked the original "trajan" style much better. This font screams Red Sox and coupled with the fact that it's a New York team, it just kinda feels like the red, err... orange-headed stepchild of the Sox and the Yanks.

And while the Mets and Sox are in different leagues, I don't think New Yorkers regardless of whether they're a Mets fan or a Yankees fan (or Giants, Jets, etc) would take very kindly to looking too much like Boston.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I have to respectfully disagree. I liked the original "trajan" style much better. This font screams Red Sox and coupled with the fact that it's a New York team, it just kinda feels like the red, err... orange-headed stepchild of the Sox and the Yanks.

And while the Mets and Sox are in different leagues, I don't think New Yorkers regardless of whether they're a Mets fan or a Yankees fan (or Giants, Jets, etc) would take very kindly to looking too much like Boston.

I believe the New York Baseball Giants had that font way before anyone else. That's why the Mets currently have it on their road uniform....My link under history of their road uniforms and here My link 2

3535rx3.jpg

I, for one, was very fond of that new Mets logo you made. But if you have to keep the old one, is there anyway you can keep the scipt the same as the original post and not as squiggly?

EDIT: Oh, and you might want to lower Home Alt 1's skyline so that the top of the tallest building doesn't bleed over onto the back collar of the jersey.

25yzwqg.png

Archived