NFL nixes "colored" fields

Captain Poncho

Teams that wish to change the color of their field now require league approval. Though no team has suggested making a change to a blue or red field, the league wanted to be proactive and prevent that from happening without approval.

At the bottom of the article

I don't suppose this was going to be a big problem in the NFL, but I love this move. Lessens the likelihood we'll ever have to watch a game played on a yellow/blue/red/black field.

Yeah, the NFL isn't opposed to all colored fields. They're opposed to the possibility of sponsors requiring a change to the color of the field in their deals.

Technically, this is correct.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ee38c1/article/nfl-moves-kickoffs-to-35yard-line-touchbacks-unchanged?module=HP_headlines

One proposal was adopted unanimously, giving the commissioner the power to approve or deny requests to change the color of the playing field from green. Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank said the concern was that sponsors could approach teams and suggest a deal that involved altering a field's color.

As McKay previously noted with a smile, "We don't want any red fields like at Eastern Washington."

The sponsorship thing has some merit, but I also think it's just a way of "saying it" without actually "saying it" (maybe don't want to offend the colleges, or something.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Meh. They don't call it the No Fun League for no reason. No big shock here.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Does the league have a definition somewhere of what they call "green"? There are already minor differences real vs. fake and based who the manufacturer is. You could still have some wiggle room there it seems.

Does the league have a definition somewhere of what they call "green"? There are already minor differences real vs. fake and based who the manufacturer is. You could still have some wiggle room there it seems.

That brings up the point that league approval is now needed to change from the original color...but what if the turf is first installed (perhaps in a new stadium) as blue or purple or something? Does the rule cover that?

This is the kind of question which made my teachers' eyes roll...

That brings up the point that league approval is now needed to change from the original color...but what if the turf is first installed (perhaps in a new stadium) as blue or purple or something? Does the rule cover that?

This is the kind of question which made my teachers' eyes roll...

There's already rules in place that any new stadium different from where a team has been playing has to go through strict league approval. Just look at the Vikings playing one game at the gophers stadium and all the approvals they went through.

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

I wonder how televised games play a factor into this. I always assumed that the augmented reality type graphics were achieved with a green screen type effect using the field.

ESPN displays them just fine on Boise State's blue turf.

The software they use now is a bit more advanced than your standard old Chroma key video trick, but the process is essentially the same; all the production staff has to do is tell the computer to lay the graphic over whatever color the field is, whether it's green or something else. I'm oversimplifying, but that's the gist of it.

Even with the old Chroma key process, it's always been technically possible to use any background color for the composite. Blue and green are the most common backdrop colors because neither one is a skin tone, but a really vivid green has the additional benefit of not being a very common color for clothing.

May we never seen anything but a green field in the NFL.

...except for a powder blue field in San Diego, a black field in Oakland, a purple field in Baltimore, a navy field in New York (for the Giants) and a red field in Tampa Bay. Seriously, I think those teams could pull it off.

All of those would look horrendous. The blue field just about works for Kentucky Uni, it being the bluegrass state and all, but otherwise grass, or anything pretending to be grass, should be green.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived