MLB Realignment

TBGKon

I had originally posted this in the MLB thread, but it seemed the consensus wants its own area:

Strange rumblings in MLB. Looks like someone gets moved to the AL possibly...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

According to a highly ranked executive, one consideration that has been raised in ownership committee meetings is eliminating the divisions altogether, so that 15 AL and 15 NL teams would vie for five playoff spots within each league. Currently, Major League Baseball has six divisions.
Two highly ranked executives believe the Houston Astros would be a possibility, because a switch to the AL for Houston would foster a rivalry between the Astros and the Texas Rangers.

Note: From what I can read, it sounds like it would end up being two 15-team leagues. Interleague can still exist and be interspersed throughout the season, rather than lumping it all together.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't say I agree with thus at all. Part of the greatness of baseball is the tradition of the separate NL and AL. I'd rather do away with interleague play and bring back the awesomeness of having two teams who never play each other during the season meeting in the World Series.

They should just move Milwaukee back into the AL where they belong, instead of Houston who has more historic rivals in the Central and has never had any history in the other league, unlike Milwaukee who won their first and only pennant in the AL.

Not to mention, they should just stop it with expanding the playoffs. It's an 162-game season they play, and the last thing they need to do is remove even more value to an already inflated schedule by having a larger playoff field. Soon, winning the wild card won't mean anything either.

I LOVE this idea, all because it actually seems FAIR. Coming from a Jays fan it would be a welcome change not having to play the Yanks and Sox twenty something times a year. With this you can have a balanced schedule between all 15 teams in the league. It would be exciting to see the 15 teams all trying to get into that top 5. As for the interleague issue, I say why not? Interleague play is not special anymore. Marlins VS Rays is just another game. So I think having it every day would not make it less special than what it is now. If anything this might allow them to play an interleague schedule that is the same for each team, which would just make things more fair.

I love the idea. Finally some inter-league play. No one really remembers the week in May or the two weeks in July when interleague goes on. And I like the idea of the Astros in the AL; they make the most sense to move. And the playoff format makes sure the TRUE top teams in each division make the playoffs. I'm all for it.

MK8_Iggy.pngMK8_Lemmy.pngMK8_Ludwig.pngMK8_Morton.png

I am for this. I would like this because my team, the Tigers would have a much better shot at the playoffs. Another wild card spot would give good teams a chance not named the Red Sox or Yankees. Also, I would love to see more NL teams come to town. I love the interleague play because we never get to see those teams play. I honestly don't see this happening though.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

I am for this. I would like this because my team, the Tigers would have a much better shot at the playoffs. Another wild card spot would give good teams a chance not named the Red Sox or Yankees. Also, I would love to see more NL teams come to town. I love the interleague play because we never get to see those teams play. I honestly don't see this happening though.

hahahahahahahaha, that's hilarious. If this were instituted for this year, I'd bet that the top 4 teams right now in the AL would be Toronto, Tampa Bay, Boston, and New York.

All you guys have to do right now is beat out the Indians, and that shouldn't take much effort. The AL Central is the worst division in baseball right now. Why would you want to move out of that arrangement?

6fQjS3M.png

Why not move the Pirates to the AL Central and have the Royals play in the AL West? Wouldn't this also secure that states with two or more teams, have at least one team in each league?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I hate the idea for a number of reasons, many of them include divisional rivalries, favoritism to a select few teams, and the separation of the leagues (and their rule sets). When the economy gets better, add two more teams, split them 16-16 between the leagues, and have four team divisions. It isn't that hard Bud.

Since Interleague play is a must with two 15-team leagues, I'm curious as to how they'll create the schedules.

I would think that you'd have to play all the teams in your league an equal number of times, since you're in direct and equal competition with the other 14 teams in the league.

Why not move the Pirates to the AL Central and have the Royals play in the AL West? Wouldn't this also secure that states with two or more teams, have at least one team in each league?

Why does that even matter? Markets with two or more teams should be split up, but even then, since revenue sharing isn't what it is in some of the other sports and the TV contracts aren't done by league, even that doesn't really matter much.

I hate the idea for a number of reasons, many of them include divisional rivalries, favoritism to a select few teams, and the separation of the leagues (and their rule sets). When the economy gets better, add two more teams, split them 16-16 between the leagues, and have four team divisions. It isn't that hard Bud.

LOL. It is that hard.

1. Favoritism to a select few teams? Please explain that one.

2. "when the economy gets better add 2 teams..."

2a. this is the exact thinking that has hurt leagues. If you can only expand when the economy is good, then you're left with crap teams in crap markets when the economy is bad. You can't evaluate markets when the economy is good. It's artificial. The economy goes up and down, and you need to be in markets that can support a team all of the time, not just when the going is good. There are too many cities that have teams that are simply dependent on industries that die when the economy is down... and that ain't good.

2b. there are markets now that can't support teams. Adding more markets is the opposite of the solution. It would simply make the problem worse.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Because a lot of us actually LOVE the tradition of the separate NL-AL. We loved how the World Series wasn't just another series between two teams who play each other during the regular season. It made it more exciting.

I'd like to get to the day where they could add two more teams and go 16-16 with 8 divisions of four. But that may be awhile. If the NL went 4 divisions of 4, you'd have a total of 5 divisions of 4 and 2 divisions of 5. A little more balanced out than the current alignment. I'm all for balancing out the schedule some more, but not this radically different scenario.

Seeing as how any real distinction between the American and National Leagues was obliterated back in the 1990's, I have no issue with this concept.

Move the Houston Astros to the AL? Well, Milwaukee would be my first choice, but I understand the logic of it.

Two 15 team leagues with continual interleague play? Yeah, fine. Interleague play isn't that much of a novelty anymore.

162 game schedule? You play each of the 14 teams in your league 9 times (three series of 3 games each, giving Team A two series at home one year, Team B the other) for 126 games. You play 5 of the 15 teams in the other league (on a rotating basis, so you meet the same slate over a 3-year span) 6 times (one 3-game home series, one 3-gmae road series), for 30 games. You then play two 3-game interleague series, one home, one away, versus a geographic rival reached by agreement of the competing teams (Mets-Yankees, Royals-Cardinals, Dodgers-Angels, Cubs-White Sox, Pirates-Indians, etc.) Sounds more complicated than it is in application.

Really guys, the "untouchability" factor of the AL/NL has been gone for quite some time. If baseball wants to return to a single table format in each league, that might actually be a great thing. Think about it: no longer would the Baltimore Orioles have to be concerned about besting the Red Sox, Yankees, and/or Devil Rays in any given season. They'd need only to finish in fifth place to make the playoffs. It would create two 'races' within each league: the race for the top slot, as well as the race for the 4th and 5th berths, every year, much as the wild card allegedly does today.

Am I in favor of it? No, not really - there are better ways to do this. But will it be the end of baseball as we know it? Nah.

nav-logo.png

hahahahahahahaha, that's hilarious. If this were instituted for this year, I'd bet that the top 4 teams right now in the AL would be Toronto, Tampa Bay, Boston, and New York.

All you guys have to do right now is beat out the Indians, and that shouldn't take much effort. The AL Central is the worst division in baseball right now. Why would you want to move out of that arrangement?

Right now the top 5 teams in the AL are Boston, New York, Cleveland, Detroit, and Texas. The top 5 teams in the NL are Philadelphia, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Atlanta, and San Francisco.

Archived