What the MLB caps should look like

kevinmets

I know a lot of people on this board (myself included) start "what the MLB should look like" concepts, and have varied success rates when it comes to actually finishing them. What I propose here is a thread for every baseball fan to post their concepts on.

Guidelines: Post one image file of JUST primary caps for each team. 30 teams, 30 caps. Change as little or as much as you'd like. Then post a brief description of your changes.

You can use my template if you want, but if you have one you like better go right ahead.

So without further ado:

whatthecapsshouldbe.jpg

Can’t be improved on:

Atlanta Braves

Los Angeles Dodgers

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals

Could probably be improved on, but didn’t:

Arizona Diamondbacks – I never liked their current look, but I've realized the main reason for that is because the Astros had it first. However, the Astros are back to using orange & navy in my concept. The brick-black-beige color scheme fits a snake-themed team better than a space-themed team anyway. (Also I’m not about to switch the D’Backs back to purple, since there’s already 2 other purple teams in my universe.)

Turn back the clock:

Baltimore Orioles – Technically THAT bird was never used on an all black cap, but close enough.

Cincinnati Reds – No drop shadow.

Houston Astros – Only team to ever use an orange cap, made them unique & iconic.

Oakland Athletics – Normal green/kelly green instead of the current dark green.

Philadelphia Phillies – Hate the team, but their 80s look was unique and awesome.

Seattle Mariners – I have a feeling they might bring these back soon.

Combination of eras:

Kansas City Royals – Based on the old KC Athletics logo, but re-colored. Modified from my 2040 concept.

California Angels – The current logo but with a yellow halo, on a navy cap. (Another subtle change is, I removed the 3D shadowing.)

Milwaukee Brewers – The legendary ball in glove, with the current “brewery” colors & a piece of wheat.

San Diego Padres – The most unique color scheme in MLB history combined with the awesome two-color SD.

Tampa Bay Rays – The past ray logo, dark green, and black meets the current TB logo, white & light blue.

Texas Rangers – The current T (with outline in place of drop shadow), colored like the original caps.

Toronto Blue Jays – The concept I made here.

Need some explaining:

Boston Red Sox - If a team has a color in their name, it should be their primary color. As for the green: the green monster at Fenway is one of the most iconic parts of a stadium in all baseball. The Celtics use green. Navy is the rival Yankees color. I also just really like green, and am baffled only one team currently uses it.

Chicago Cubs – Yes the current C logo is iconic, but to me it is the single most boring logo in MLB. Adding the cub to it spruces it up.

Chicago White Sox – Again, if a team has a color in their name, it should be their primary color. The red outline just looks nice.

Cleveland Blues – Because it’s 2011 and whether you like it or not, political correctness is important. Color scheme is loosely based on the St. Louis Blues hockey team.

Colorado Rockies – This team needs an overhaul. Modified from my 2040 concept.

Detroit Tigers – Their D logo is one of my favorites in MLB, yet their look is so boring without ANY orange at home.

Miami Marlins – Obviously the impending Miami name change accounts for the M. Dolphins colors give them a unique look and let them keep the teal (although I used a darker shade to contrast the orange).

Minnesota Twins – Simply because too many MLB teams use navy & red. Vikings colors would make them look unique.

Washington Nationals – The DC logo had so much potential, but was never perfected. Let Walgreens keep the curly W.

And of course, as always, C&C on my (and anyone else's who decide to participate) designs are encouraged!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kept a couple of Kevin's caps that I also would like to see or keep the same (I hope you don't mind). I also brought a couple of old caps back verbatim. And I also thought that the Winnipeg Whips' old cap would work for the Nationals as a subtle tribute to the Expos. The rest are my original ideas. Enjoy!

ba4j0.png

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I kept a couple of Kevin's caps that I also would like to see or keep the same (I hope you don't mind).

Not at all! Great work as always!

Here's mine

Good ideas but try working with larger images, so everything doesn't come out so pixely.

Here's my take on the MLB:

mlbcaps.jpg

What's so sad in looking at today's MLB is that not only are there so many red/blue teams, but many even use the exact same shades of red and blue. For example the Yankees, Red Sox, Twins and Tigers all use exactly the same shade of navy blue.

My C&C on your hats is in red.

Can’t be improved on:

Atlanta Braves

Los Angeles Dodgers

New York Mets

New York Yankees

Pittsburgh Pirates

San Francisco Giants

St. Louis Cardinals

Good calls here. I might suggest an orange bill for your Mets and a yellow one for the Pirates, however

Could probably be improved on, but didn’t:

Arizona DiamondbacksWhy don't you try olive green, sand/tan, and a charcoal gray?

Turn back the clock:

Baltimore OriolesLiking it.

Cincinnati RedsGood.

Houston AstrosVery good.

Oakland AthleticsI like this. Way to step out there and do something different.

Philadelphia PhilliesI would keep the color shade, but use the current P logo.

Seattle MarinersGreat tweak.

Combination of eras:

Kansas City RoyalsThis is...fine. Can't say I'm a huge fan, but I like it.

California AngelsThat's very nice looking.

Milwaukee BrewersLove this. It's the most unique of these concepts.

San Diego PadresLooking good. I would love to see unis for these.

Tampa Bay RaysThis is fine. I would actually reintroduce gradients, but it's your concept...

Texas RangersNice little tweak.

Toronto Blue JaysI'm loving that logo! It's modern, but has old school qualities. Bravo.

Need some explaining:

Boston Red Sox - I would use a darker shade of green (ala the actual Green Monster)

Chicago CubsAs a Cubs fan, I would need to see the unis to know if I liked this or not.

Chicago White SoxThis is probably my favorite of my series. I might even buy one, and I'm a Cubs fan. ^_^

Cleveland BluesI love this. I would love to see full uniforms.

Colorado RockiesGreat. Once again, would love to see unis.

Detroit TigersNice. I agree; they do need more orange.

Miami MarlinsNice.

Minnesota TwinsIt was a bold move, and, by golly, it worked! Bravo!

Washington NationalsI have mixed emotions on this. Once again, I would need to see the unis.

=========================================================================================================================================

I would love to see some unis for some of these (Royals, Padres, Rays, Blue Jays, Red Sox, Cubs, Blues, Marlins, Twins, Nats, maybe White Sox). This is quality work.

25yzwqg.png

If you bring back the old Devil Rays logo/colors, which I love, you'd have to rename them again back to Devil Rays.

The current name Rays is solely related to rays of sunshine as the owner stated, the animal patch is just a form of appeasing and giving respect to the Namoli era.

Anything has the most logical one since the team will be moved sooner than later.

I do not get why people like the halo on the Angels hats, I think those look rediculous. But to each their own.

Nice work guys.

2ly2w09.jpg

Great topic. Here is my take in the order of the current standings.

Some hats I just left alone: Yankees, Cubs, and Dodgers.

Others I really prefer the "throwback" look: Red Sox, Orioles, White Sox, Phillies, Reds, Astros, and Padres.

The rest I just played round with until I got something that I liked.

1200px_hat_redeux.png

Can't wait for the Blue Jays rebrand. I think they're gonna get it right with the caps.

Agreed.

As for this series, these are all great. My favorites (besides my own):

Lights Out's Nationals

anythinglogos/raysox's Brewers

fishheatcats's Padres

uuh70's Marlins

DAHOF's Indians

TalktoChuck's Cardinals

Let's keep this thing going!

Archived