New Cy-Hawk Trophy

GeoTheo

Every year the Iowa and Iowa State football teams play for the Cy-Hawk Trophy. This year the series has a new sponsor, Iowa Iowa Corngrowers Association, and new trophy. The old trophy was pretty bad, but the new may be the worst football trophy ever. Is there a football trophy worse than this?

IowaCorn_Cyhawk_Trophy_F6DCEA1F4C2DB.pngcy-hawk_trophy_top.JPG

Old trophy

oldcyhawktrophy485.jpg

Nothing says "midwest football" like a creepy farmer proposing to a little boy with an ear of corn.

That got a lol out of me. But it does fit in a way, family and corn. The Midwestern way

Even the Gov Terry "the Mustache" Brandstad has come out against it. From today's Des Moines Register:

Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad said today that the controversial new trophy in the Iowa State-Iowa football series falls short of expectations for Iowans ? and himself.

Branstad was asked about the Cy-Hawk Trophy that was unveiled last week during a conference call with reporters.

?Oh, I think they can do better,? Branstad said.

The trophy debuted Friday, via the Iowa Corn Growers Association, Iowa Corn Promotions Board and Learfield Sports. The trophy, awarded annually to the winner of the in-state rivalry, depicts an Iowa family around a bushel of corn.

The trophy has been mostly panned, however, in the state of Iowa ? and beyond.

Branstad was asked today if the trophy should be reconsidered.

?I?m sure they?re going to take another look at that,? Branstad said.

Reaction to the trophy included a lack of immediate visual connection to football. Former Iowa football coach Hayden Fry was one of those puzzled by the look.

?It?s a nice-looking trophy. And the farmer, family and corn is all wonderful,? Fry told the Des Moines Register, ?but I don?t really get the relationship to a football game.?

If Floyd of Rosedale, the Little Brown Jug and the Old Oaken Bucket teach us anything, it's that rivalry trophies are meant to be random crap.

I say they play for whatever the American Pickers guys find 12 minutes into their next episode.

Archived