Portland Sea Dogs - Cutting Room Floor

derschwigg

Congrats man! They look great

Thanks! I wish the project would've held through, but you can't win 'em all.

Oh man! That looks really really awesome. Way better than the current. It just seems too Pensacola blue Wahoos for me.

Thanks! I thought about that, but came to the conclusion that it would probably do well in the Eastern League. I hope the door remains open for other teams/projects like this, though.

Holy cow!!! These are amazing, it's a real shame it fell through. Loving the subtle "P" the Sea Dog and the bat form, I also love the 4th script the best. The script you chose is a close second. Those Alternate logos are amazing too!

I can't see why this wouldn't cut it for the team. I'm sure there is more legal stuff that goes with it or something - no need to explain why this fell through, though. The only possible issue I could see is that the top of the lighthouse in the roundel logo is slightly different in size to the others.

Really nice work here. I especially like the lighthouse in homeplate logo, and the color balance on some of the uniforms. As someone who goes to a few Sea Dogs games every season, it would be very weird to see them change. Your proposal would've made them grow up a little bit, look more serious. But I think they pull off the playful/minor league/catering-to-the-kiddies vibe pretty well currently. Since they worked with you this probably means they'll be looking to change sometime soon. I just hope they don't go full grown-up on me. Slugger should never be intimidating. But great work, again.

Awesome stuff man! Sorry to hear they didn't go with it, but thanks for the awesome share. Shoot, my only critique is in the uniform template where it looks like every jersey is a cut off vest. As said before love the lighthouse in the homeplate and the way the sea dog (seal?) and bat make a P. Very cool.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

I'm going to be totally honest. I like it, if viewed in a vacuum. It's a very good design. I don't like it when viewed as a logo for the MiLB team called the Portland Sea Dogs. The similarity to Pensacola is extreme, and it's too aggressive when compared to the current Portland logo, the dog with a fish tail. I think there are enough angry teams in the fun family atmosphere that is the minors that a team that is currently fun and happy-looking doesn't need to switch.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

That lighthouse / crossed bats logo is phenomenal. I love this whole package and I'm bummed they didn't accept it. I'd rock that gear proudly.

mainescarf.png

Thanks everyone for the kind words! It was a really fun project.

I'm going to be totally honest. I like it, if viewed in a vacuum. It's a very good design. I don't like it when viewed as a logo for the MiLB team called the Portland Sea Dogs. The similarity to Pensacola is extreme, and it's too aggressive when compared to the current Portland logo, the dog with a fish tail. I think there are enough angry teams in the fun family atmosphere that is the minors that a team that is currently fun and happy-looking doesn't need to switch.

I agree on some parts, but I respectfully disagree about the fun-loving atmosphere bit. When I look at the Eastern League, the Portland Sea Dogs logo seems misplaced. It's the "cute" team in a field of "aggressive" looks. All teams know it's a family-fun atmosphere. That's where the actual mascots and theme nights come in. Their existing look could have become more of a "kids club" logo so as not to entirely alienate the existing fans. Slugger, their mascot, could have remained the same as well, just getting a new jersey.

Archived