Columbus Crew to Unveil New Logo October 8

Shmee

Without "Columbus" on there I would guess it's for a Pittsburgh-based team with the black and yellow and the European-looking heraldry patterns.

Does Columbus really play up the fact that it has a lot of German heritage? Yeah, you and Chicago and Milwaukee and Cincinnati and St. Louis and Buffalo and basically every corner of the industrial Midwest.

That being said, it's objectively a very good soccer logo and I would be proud to wear stuff with it on it!

Well there's a neighborhood in downtown Columbus called German Village http://germanvillage.com, but yeah having German ancestry isn't unique. It's the Cleveland skyline of cultural heritage.

And this'll sound petty, but a big part of the reason the crew never grabbed me was their use of yellow and black. Yellow and black are Pittsburgh colors and I've never liked that color scheme.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without "Columbus" on there I would guess it's for a Pittsburgh-based team with the black and yellow and the European-looking heraldry patterns.

Does Columbus really play up the fact that it has a lot of German heritage? Yeah, you and Chicago and Milwaukee and Cincinnati and St. Louis and Buffalo and basically every corner of the industrial Midwest.

That being said, it's objectively a very good soccer logo and I would be proud to wear stuff with it on it!

Outside the scope of the MLS, you'd probably be dead on about that. Everyone knows that Pittsburgh is all about their black and gold yellow (thanks, Wiz), just about as much so in regards to the city's coat of arms, which features that familiar chequy (checkerboard) pattern...but of course The Crew's fanbase has been flossing those black and yelliw scarves and flags for so long now that they've dang near become just about as synonymous with Columbus, albeit via sport rather than the arms of a certain English general turned Earl. (It also helps that Columbus uses that near-neon shade of yellow, which differs quite well from "Pittsburgh" gold, to us, anyway.) All that said...i don't know where the diagonal lines came from, but between that and the whole "three pillars" thing in that marketing release, I do wonder if some of the same people worked on both this and the new MLS logo at the same time. I like the nod to the club's origins with the 96 shield in first...I selfishly wish though they would've found a way to incorporate a hard hat in second..but then it appears they no longer want anything "construction crew" tied to their identity.

Overall, I like it. (No more live trace!) It seems it accomplishes all they set out for, its definitely cleaner overall. The whole "O" for "Ohio" thing in their marketing release seems pretty forced though (as does a good chunk of the rest of it), and up until now I've never seen nor heard anyone in or from Columbus try to make such a big deal of "German heritage". Like others, I really wish they could've found a stronger font to use--and speaking of which, I wonder if they felt "COLUMBUS CREW SOCCER CLUB" would've been too much to fit inside that roundel; it probably would've filled that space much better than what's there. (Speaking of, they might've missed a golden opportunity to really tie into Columbus' new infusion of civic pride by coloring the "US" in Columbus yellow, to fit with the whole "ColumbUS" initiative going on right now--but that probably would've been too much.)

Regardless, they hit on more than they missed, so this is still a winner for me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Yes most Midwestern cities do have a German footprint, However, if you are a sport that is predominantly the main event in most foreign countries, it makes perfect sense to emulate a badge that honors that part of your community. As a lifelong Columbusite, I think this badge is a perfect replacement for the former logo. The construction workers conveyed that this is a blue collar town, which in fact, Columbus has quite a few Fortune 500 companies, many technology driven industries, is home to a booming downtown, has an incredible art district, progressive communities and nightlife. We also got the Blue Jackets. I think they captured in the crest the essence of Columbus, indeed.

Yes most Midwestern cities do have a German footprint, However, if you are a sport that is predominantly the main event in most foreign countries, it makes perfect sense to emulate a badge that honors that part of your community. As a lifelong Columbusite, I think this badge is a perfect replacement for the former logo. The construction workers conveyed that this is a blue collar town, which in fact, Columbus has quite a few Fortune 500 companies, many technology driven industries, is home to a booming downtown, has an incredible art district, progressive communities and nightlife. We also got the Blue Jackets. I think they captured in the crest the essence of Columbus, indeed.

Another reason the Crew never felt like the right nickname for me - Columbus is actually pretty white collar. The Crew is a fun nickname, but I don't think it fits the city.

Someone told me they were named the Crew because they were supposed to be Christopher Columbus' crew, but I've never heard that verified anywhere else and if that were true at the beginning of the logo design they abandoned that idea when they went with the construction workers.

Does anyone know if this new badge will have a star above it like they've been wearing since they won the MLS cup?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Another reason the Crew never felt like the right nickname for me - Columbus is actually pretty white collar. The Crew is a fun nickname, but I don't think it fits the city.

Someone told me they were named the Crew because they were supposed to be Christopher Columbus' crew, but I've never heard that verified anywhere else and if that were true at the beginning of the logo design they abandoned that idea when they went with the construction workers.

Does anyone know if this new badge will have a star above it like they've been wearing since they won the MLS cup?

i feel the same way. and i think this logo represents the city really well. its still a place that likes subtlety and vintage things though. the logo looks like something that would fit right at home on the Homage front page and thats a great thing.

also, this logo was done in house (mostly) by the Crew creative team. thats a very rare thing, to let your in house team do something on this level and kudos to them. there are things that can be done that people would like better, or personally want to see done, but as far as being a Columbus sports logo, i dont think it could be done much better. 1 stroke too many, 1 idea too many, or mediocre font aside, this logo has the right personality. its something that can carry the pride and love people have for the team.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Webpage-Layout_09-1_0.jpg

New England is on the clock.

There is something that bothers me so much about that Orlando City badge that I can't put my finger on it but it doesn't look that professional to me. The color scheme is great but don't know if it is the lion/sun hybrid or the thin borders.

I know it's different but the Orlando logo just makes me think of Lion King. I mean you have Orlando, a Lion, what do you expect?

196px-The_Lion_King_Musical.svg.png

I don't really see that, since the rendering styles are so different.

The sun/lion connection doesn't really work for me in the OCSC badge, but it's not terrible. I do like the color scheme, especially when side-by-side with all the other badges. They can own purple in MLS.

Okay, reading my words above I think they come off more critically than I meant, because I really like it overall.

The Orlando City badge is a huge upgrade over their USL Pro version. I love the color scheme, and appreciate the hidden crown in the mane. My only issue with it is a sort of disconnect between the rather thin lion face and the perfectly round mane. What's with those purple "rays"/mane waves/whatever they are filling the space:

900px-Orlando_City_2014.svg.png

But I do love it when teams can totally claim a color, like Dynamo has the orange and OC has purple. Or, to bring it back to the subject of this thread, Columbus with this new, brighter, yellow. I'm not aware of another major team in any of the sports who uses a proper yellow.

Milwaukee's actually known for a fair amount of German cultural quirks, though (beer, bratwurst, festivals) despite having its share of Polish and italian heritage as well. For a team from here to adopt a German-inspired identity would hardly be as random as Columbus (or any of the other cities you named for that matter).

People that find the German link random are clearly not from Columbus. CBus has a prominent German Village south of downtown with a few of the cities most popular restaurants and shops.

The logo is an obvious upgrade IMO over a simply weird original logo.

Lots of folks on here seem to be from CBUS. We should get together and nerd out sometime.

Milwaukee's actually known for a fair amount of German cultural quirks, though (beer, bratwurst, festivals) despite having its share of Polish and italian heritage as well. For a team from here to adopt a German-inspired identity would hardly be as random as Columbus (or any of the other cities you named for that matter).

I know, that's why I listed all those cities with obvious German presences. I think Milwaukee got the fun Germans and Cincinnati got the boring ones.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

People that find the German link random are clearly not from Columbus. CBus has a prominent German Village south of downtown with a few of the cities most popular restaurants and shops.

The logo is an obvious upgrade IMO over a simply weird original logo.

Lots of folks on here seem to be from CBUS. We should get together and nerd out sometime.

well on the topic of the German Village, Schmidt's sounds pretty good!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Like the team, like their colors, not feeling the logo… Played it safe, feel it lacks personality. Would much rather rock the Blue Jackets C-Flag. My two cents, that is all.

Completely agree. Like the Blue Jackets there just is no personality to it. It certainly works, and I like the simplicity of it, but I feel they missed a huge opportunity to use the unique state flag that they have. I feel it would make a great looking crest.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Archived