Toronto Blue Jays suing Creighton Bluejays to stop using new logo

BrianLion

You may wish to go back and read the entire thread. You appear to have missed the point, since the relative sizes of the two organizations has zero relevance to this discussion.

That was sarcasm...

0-for-2

That much was obvious. You're still missing the point. I get that this lawsuit makes you butthurt, but you clearly have no clue why it's happening.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some Creighton concepts from the cutting room floor: https://dribbble.com/shots/1267262-Bluejays

Fraser, were you hired to work on the Creighton logo or was this just something you did for fun? If so what did the design brief contain? Any mention of the Toronto logo? Looking at your concepts I figure they requested a bluejay headshot for sure.

You appear to have missed the point, I get that this (anything) makes you butthurt, but you clearly have no clue why it's happening.

This could apply to practically any argument on the boards, be posted at the top of every page, and appear as an interstitial ad between every post, and 70% of the members still won't read or understand it.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

You appear to have missed the point, I get that this (anything) makes you butthurt, but you clearly have no clue why it's happening.

This could apply to practically any argument on the boards, be posted at the top of every page, and appear as an interstitial ad between every post, and 70% of the members still won't read or understand it.

Haha, in this thread, most users think the team with the better logo should get to sue the other team and force the other team to change their logo.

Yup, that's CCSLC in a nutshell. Sad stuff...

I guess I have a response to both parts of this conversation.

1. I prefer the Toronto Blue Jays branding, however this is probably major bias 101. Though in honesty, just not a fan of the illustration style used by Creighton despite it still being a solid logo

2. I understand why Toronto would feel obligation to do this. Shouldn't be hard to understand either. It'll be interesting to see how this progresses and I think it'll reach a settlement if anything and won't really go 'major' or anything.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

New to the board and topic of sports logos.

Creighton blatantly ripped off Toronto's logo in 1991 for use on their baseball uniform... see photo below, from ESPN screenshot. Ironically, 1991 turned out to be the best season in Creighton baseball history. The team advanced to the College World Series and played on ESPN with the Toronto logo prominently displayed on the jersey front.

Toronto did not file suit in 1991. Does that fact have any relevancy to their case today?

6779530510_d6c790eb68_o.jpg

Creighton blatantly ripped off Toronto's logo in 1991 for use on their baseball uniform... see photo below, from ESPN screenshot. Ironically, 1991 turned out to be the best season in Creighton baseball history. The team advanced to the College World Series and played on ESPN with the Toronto logo prominently displayed on the jersey front.

Toronto did not file suit in 1991. Does that fact have any relevancy to their case today?

I would assume no. Mainly because it is a different logo than the one in question.

jNTsTyQ.png

What does the maple leaf stand for in Nebraska again?

You may wish to go back and read the entire thread. You appear to have missed the point, since the relative sizes of the two organizations has zero relevance to this discussion.

That was sarcasm...

0-for-2

That much was obvious. You're still missing the point. I get that this lawsuit makes you butthurt, but you clearly have no clue why it's happening.

(Butthurt...seriously? What is this, YouTube?)

No, I get it. I don't like the idea of Toronto suing at all and I think it's well documented here these last few days. It's mostly the TIMING I have an issue with, not the look of the logos. Why now is it an issue, especially considering that Creighton blatantly had the Blue Jays logo back in the 90s?

Makes no sense to me.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

No, I get it. It's the TIMING I have an issue with, not the look of the logos. Why now is it an issue, especially considering that Creighton blatantly had the Blue Jays logo back in the 90s.

Makes no sense to me.

Think about the way things were in 1991 with no Internet. It was actually kind of difficult to see who was using your logo without permission back then. And even though Creighton did appear in the College World Series wearing a previous version of it, Toronto at best maybe had a scout watching the game and it's not like this person was focused on branding at all.

Good grief! You think Creighton would have at least changed up the red maple leaf on that logo.

No, because this isn't a lawsuit. It's a trademark infringement claim, which is entirely different.

Did Creighton try to trademark that 1991 logo?

That was sarcasm...

0-for-2

No, I get it. I don't like the idea of Toronto suing at all and I think it's well documented here these last few days. It's mostly the TIMING I have an issue with, not the look of the logos. Why now is it an issue, especially considering that Creighton blatantly had the Blue Jays logo back in the 90s?

Makes no sense to me.

This could have come about at the urging of mlb to get all of their franchisees to keep up on their trademarks/logos. I don't know if they have a league wide properties group like the nfl but I don't see a Canadian company dedicating the resources and hiring a US law firm individually to go out and enforce its trademarks unless there is a major financial risk at hand. I don't see Creighton being that threat. It makes much more sense from a cost/efficiency standpoint that the league hired a single firm to research and file suit on behalf of all franchises as opposed to each club doing an individual effort.

Did Creighton try to trademark that 1991 logo?

No. Nor, IIRC, did they sell Creighton merchandise with the Toronto logo.

Here's the story of the '91 logo, as told by Mike Kelly in the Omaha World-Herald, 8/23/2014:

» The trademark flap between the Creighton University Bluejays of Omaha and the Toronto Blue Jays of Canada reminded me of a past oddity.

In 1991, after CU thrilled Omaha fans by making it to the College World Series and finishing tied for third in the nation, I wrote a column noting belatedly that there was something unusual about the Bluejay uniforms.

The logo on the shirt was the same as that of the major-league team from Toronto — even with a red maple leaf!

Jim Hendry, the Creighton coach at the time and later the general manager of the Chicago Cubs, told me at the time that he had a good friend at Wilson Sporting Goods in Chicago.

“When we ordered the uniforms, I told him to put ‘Creighton’ and some kind of Bluejay logo on the front,” Hendry said. “Honest, I never really noticed the maple leaf. I guess he just took the logo from the Toronto Blue Jays.”

Yes, obviously and blatantly. But no trademark controversy emerged.

Last year, Creighton joined the Big East Conference and adopted a bird logo looking very similar to that of Toronto’s — the graphic difference being about as slight as that between the words Bluejays and Blue Jays.

After Creighton filed to trademark its logo with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Toronto objected right pronto.

At least the Omaha school didn’t use a red maple leaf.

Archived