Nike Rivals Renewed Series: Updated FSU/Miami and Miss/Miss State 10/21

aawagner011

Hello,

I am back at work with a fresh series. These are one-off college football concepts that are designed to capture the essence of a school but present a fresh approach.

The uniforms are designed to be worn against one another. You'll find a number of these matchups will feature color vs. color. Also, I decided I will skip shoulder numbers. In many instances, I find them to clutter the design.

First up: Alabama vs. LSU

Alabama sees their classic design modified with a white helmet and collar. Houndstooth is found across all white components. LSU features the midfield logo on the helmet and a modern sleeve stripe interpretation.

dbfhi.png

jsgbwh.png

Next up: Georgia vs. Florida

Georgia utilizes their classic triple stripe on a silver lid and brings back the black jersey with sleeve striping and subtle silver numbers. Florida echoes the old throwback jerseys with an all blue ensemble and gator print detail on the helmet and numbers.

2ebs7rk.png

2ela59y.png

I am thinking about doing Texas vs. Oklahoma and Florida State vs. Miami as the next batch of teams.

too much houndstooth in alabama. houndstooth is great for them but using it for all the white components is overkill. i love florida! gator skin helmet looks fantastic especially with the F logo and the stripe tapering off like a gradient.

Agreed on both. I would probably make the collar and pants for Bama solid white.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

too much houndstooth in alabama. houndstooth is great for them but using it for all the white components is overkill. i love florida! gator skin helmet looks fantastic especially with the F logo and the stripe tapering off like a gradient.

Agreed on both. I would probably make the collar and pants for Bama solid white.

I also love Florida. I agree about there being too much houndstooth on Bama. Maybe put it in the striping? I like what you did with the LSU helmet. That's been something I've wanted to see done, even though people usually want LSU's uniforms untouched. No complaints for Georgia, btw :D Great work!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I am a bit surprised about the houndstooth... I thought that would go over better. The idea for most of these designs is to push the envelope while connecting to their classic identities. Alabama doesn't provide as much creative liberty as other schools but I figured a subtle houndstooth from far away would look like a very light gray until you saw it up close.

I will likely begin those next 4 teams in the first half of this upcoming week. As to future teams, Cal vs. Stanford is a good pick so we will have to see where this series goes!

I like doing rivals that actually wear Nike because it feels more real, but I also miss out on some matchups due to equipment providers. I can't do Ohio State vs. Michigan unless I mocked Michigan up with Nike. How do you feel about that?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, it has been a little over a month but I am back with a new set of teams. A classic rivalry. I am doing these as a Nike series, so for the purposes of this concept, ignore the fact that some teams may be shown with with a different manufacturer.

Michigan vs. Ohio State

Michigan gets a modern interpretation of their winged helmets upon the jersey while Ohio State goes retro with the larger sleeve stripes. You'll notice the pattern follows their previous striping before they simplified it. Also, a heavy, drop shadowed block font is used.

mc3w5k.png

6hm3j8.png

Just now finding this thread, and I have to agree, houndstooth is too much for Alabama (don't even get me started on the misconception of the entire pattern). Florida looks really good. I like everything on LSU except the shoulder stripes. It just doesn't work for me. Georgia looks a bit forced in my eyes though.

I like the idea of Michigan's helmet stripes being on the jersey, but think there's a different way to go about it. Ohio State looks great.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Good job on your presentation. One thing I'm noticing as I look through the thread is that you have all the pant stripes ending when the fabric panel changes. Please give us some variety. Pant stripes can (and do) go over different panels.

Thanks for the comment. I typically use variation in my pants striping but for this series, the designs are just one-off sets. Usually the Pro Combat series and other one-offs created were accompanied with quirks and similarities from team to team. The distinguishing traits for this series are the pants striping and the helmet designs. Most helmets feature either a tapered stripe or some sublimated pattern.

• 2 weeks later...

Next up: Florida State vs. Miami

For FSU, I took inspiration from their first Pro Combat set. I thought it was one of the better executed sets and the colors looked great. I thought the inclusion of blacked work really well but was not overpowering. This set combines that with their current styling. Miami utilizes the "hurricane" theme with repeating flags down the middle stripe on the helmet and pants. The helmet and pants both have a sublimated storm finish. Orange is more of a trim color.

xf9lqa.png

2yvs0eq.png

I didn't think I would like Miami's helmet when I was reading about it, but I really like how it turned out. Florida State's new look certainly looks best in this design. I like.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

I love your Michigan, FSU, and Miami concepts - all Amazing!

One of the fun things about college rivalries is the fact that typically, the schools play one another for some sort of trophy.

These trophies are usually ridiculous items, or actual trophies. I think the random stupid items make it a little more fun.

I'm a Purdue Alum, and the game that we always had a ball at was the Rivalry game vs. Indiana. The two teams play each other for "The Old Oaken Bucket." Its literally a wooden old-fashioned water well bucket that has some cockamime significance. The winner of the game gets to put a chain link with their school's initial attached to the handle of the bucket (the chain is like 75 feet long now.

How about incorporating the trophy into the uniform design?

Indiana has alternate helmets with the state flag emblem on them. I was thinking one side of the helmet would be the state flag emblem in either red or black (white helmets for Indiana, Gold Helmets for Purdue) and an image of the bucket on the other side of the helmet, with that school's particular initial link showing in the center of the bucket.

Notre Dame and USC play for the jeweled Shilleighleigh(sp). The winner of that game puts either a Ruby (USC) or an Emerald (ND) on the stick. How about incorporating some sort of reflective material in green and red on either teams jersey, and put red chrome and green chrome jewel stickers on either helmets to represent the wins from either school?

Minnesota and Wisconsin play for Paul Bunyan's Axe. It's a big freaking axe. I'm thinking a big Axe blade on the center of the front of the helmet with the school's initial on it, and the handle would continue down the center crown of the helmet and be it's stripe.

There are a bunch of other trophies out there, and I'm not trying to criticize your ideas - Your work is excellent! This is just what went through my mind when I saw your designs. I'm sorry if I got off the beaten path.

5f6789e7-80cd-4d9b-af90-b70a526ce9c2.jpg

Next up: Egg Bowl

Here is new set for what may be the most important Egg Bowl matchup in history. Ole Miss returns to the classic light blue and integrates it throughout the entire uniform. Mississippi State features retro inspired striping. Both teams use identical egg shaped collar patches featuring their team logos atop a silhouette of the rivalry trophy. The trophy silhouette is used on the reverse side of both helmets.

15p33uu.png

1z57zir.png

Archived