Bevelled Text Effect

JeffOakley1

Hi all

New to the board here but I've searched for a while to try and find some tips and advice on an "easy" (if there is such a way), to create a hard bevel effect on text, like what you find on sports logos?

I've done it previously by hand drawing each bevel, but it's a time consuming process, and I wondered if you all had a tip on how to speed the process up a bit, or if there is such a thing as a quick and easy way to do it?

Some examples of the effect I'm interested in:

Iowa-State.jpg

torrington-titans-new-logo.jpg

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Yes it has to be done by hand, and yes it's time consuming. Some tips:

-what you are doing is splitting the letter form, so find the middle of each letter form and imagine a line throughout the middle of each letter

-reference other beveled letters, you can also take your text into Photoshop to bevel it to give you a "guide" to help you figure out tougher letters

Yes it has to be done by hand, and yes it's time consuming. Some tips:

-what you are doing is splitting the letter form, so find the middle of each letter form and imagine a line throughout the middle of each letter

-reference other beveled letters, you can also take your text into Photoshop to bevel it to give you a "guide" to help you figure out tougher letters

Also, using your guides will help big-time in order to keep bevels consistent.

Kristopher Bazen
Kris Bazen Creative
www.www.krisbazen.com

Twitter: @krisbazen

Dribbble: dribbble.com/krisbazen

Here's a time saver that I use to find the exact middle stroke of a letterform in Illustrator:

First, start with your letterforms, no fill, just a thin outer stroke. Go ahead and create outlines if it's live type, but save a copy of the original type for later:

AUWbiBt.png

Next you're going to break the letterforms into their inside and outside lines. The C is very simple, whereas the B is more complicated. The B has two vertical lines on the left side as well as an inner and outer curve for the right-top and inner and outer curve on the right-bottom. (Note to separate the inner and outer lines you have to go to Object>Compound Path>Release Path)

PXraQ6M.png

Then finally you're going to blend the two. Under Object>Blend>Blend Options select "Specified Steps" and enter "1." Select the inner and outer stroke you want to blend and go to Object>Blend. Once it's blended go to Object>Expand and Tada! You now have the center line. Some places will need to be manually adjusted like the top of the A, but for the most part this gets you the center line. Very helpful for creating custom inline type effects and beveling.

FFFhR3b.png

A trick I use if its already an existing font is an old trick using Power Point. Lmfao I know it sounds dumb but you can add different beveling to any font and from there, you can save the image and then add it to whqtever you wanted. Whats good about Power Point is it is a vector based program so when you expand the letters or whatever, it expands with it and you can easily edit the words if need be.

This probably wont be as much help as the posts above me, but you never know.

Archived