Complete College Football Redesign (Sun Belt Pt. 2 11/20)

mbannon92

Here's the second half of the American.

Links: Temple | Tulane | Tulsa | UCF | USF

Temple

- Not much change here. They have a beautiful set.

- Got rid of the diamond collar...if there's some sort of special meaning to it, let me know. It seems very random, though.

- Used the number font from the basketball uniforms, which matches the wordmark.

nLHzutX.png?1

Tulane

- Returned Tulane to a nice, clean look without black or anthracite.

- Helmet, cuff and pants striping match the colorways of the T-wave logo.

- 3 2 helmets: white and green with stripes and the T-wave logo, and a green-grey helmet with just the wave (and matching pants). I see the green-grey helmet and pants as a once-a-year look, not as interchangeable with the rest of the set.

icMsC1y.png?1

Tulsa

- Same as Tulane -- a nice, clean look.

- One helmet, gold, with wider striping and the Tulsa script.

- Plain jerseys with gold collar and cuffs and classic block numbers.

- Gold and blue pants with striping to match the helmet.

gSAEbF7.png?1

UCF

- Helmet and pants how have striping that resembles a sword and matches the coloring of the UCF logo.

- The numbers switch from Michigan State's font to USF's proprietary font. (Thanks Conrad!)

- Alternate black helmet features an oversized knight logo on each side, with ultra shiny gold.

LcijNGf.png?1

USF

- I REALLY like their current unis, but they're on the older UA cut, so I had to change things up.

- The collar design somewhat evokes these unis, while the pants feature a tapered stripe.

- The numbers on the green jersey change to gold to match the logo.

- (In case anyone is wondering, they don't have NOBs this year, which is why they don't on this concept. Likely the coach's decision.)

HAgQU79.png?1

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UCF

- Helmet and pants how have striping that resembles a sword and matches the coloring of the UCF logo.

- The numbers switch from Michigan State's font to USF's proprietary font. (Thanks Conrad!)

- Alternate black helmet features an oversized knight logo on each side, with ultra shiny gold.

LcijNGf.png?1

That UCF set look really sharp (see what I did there?) Surprisingly I think that big-logo black helmet looks really cool.

NEWSGG copy.png

Very plain conference. I think plain is good, but there should be a couple more teams with "out there" looks. I'm thinking maybe Tulsa or SMU.

i 100% agree with you.

Plain is good but there's too many plain teams in this conference

I think the plain fits well enough. Every team has a unique look, and no color schemes really crossover. You won't get any of these teams mixed up, because while plain, they are different.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Very plain conference. I think plain is good, but there should be a couple more teams with "out there" looks. I'm thinking maybe Tulsa or SMU.

Have to disagree, so many of these teams already try "out there" looks and they don't work. SMU & Tulsa look beautiful with the classic looks IMO.

Everything looks just about perfect to me. The only nitpicks I have are the colored numbers on Ole Miss & Arizona's Home & Alternate uniforms. I just don't think they pop well and it reminds me of high school uniforms. I know why you did it, just not a fan of it personally. Everything still looks great though, easily my favorite series on the boards.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Tulane

- 3 helmets: white and green with stripes and the T-wave logo, and a green-grey helmet with just the wave (and matching pants). I see the green-grey helmet and pants as a once-a-year look, not as interchangeable with the rest of the set.

ka0uFwd.png?1

Pretty good looks all around. For Tulane though, I'd like to point out that the University unveiled a revamped logo this summer which eliminated the "faded" green shade in favor of a much brighter, lime-shade of green:

tul-lg.png

Additionally, based on the endzones in their new stadium as well as the athletics webpage, they've embraced the checkerboard pattern this season. Maybe that could be incorporated into the unis somehow...

TulaneStadiumGameday2_800_577_s.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

Another good set of concepts here. As others noted, these teams have more traditional looks, but I don't have a problem with that.

Did you consider flipping the stripe on UCF's pants? Right now it seems backwards from the helmet. Also, it could be just me, but if the stripe is supposed to be invoking a sword and it is pointing up instead of down, it seems like it would be doing harm to the wearer. (Maybe even being impaled.) Again, I might be the only one who thought this when I saw it, but I at least wanted to mention it.

Also, I think the idea with Tulane's alternate helmet is solid, but I think it isn't quite executed as well as it could be. I think the sea-foam-green wave makes sense, but it doesn't really make sense that it would be the same color above the wave. What if you used a gradient from the sea green to their sky blue in back (between the waves) with a blue sky above the wave. It may not look good exactly as I described it, but some sort of green-to-blue gradient would make for a more interesting helmet.

award%20sig.png

I'm a Big Ten Fan, and Purdue Alum. My Brother went to UCF. I love your ideas.

Your UCF design is perfect, I love how you have incorporated the sword blade stripe. The alternate helmet design is pretty sick.

Am I off my hinges when I say I'd like to see a white alternate Purdue Helmet? I like your black helmet design better than the black helmets they are using now (not a fan of the angled train tracks. The Jersey is pretty simple. I'm honestly not that big a fan of the all-secondary colored sleves.

I'm a little disappointed you didn't take more liberties with the "Northwestern Stripe." I honestly think their uniforms would look better in a simpler way, with the stripes on the shoulders. They use an alternate white helmet now with their all white away jerseys which makes them look like snowmen, the white helmet would look good at home, maybe put the Northwestern Stripe going down the center of the helmet?

One of my favorite designs was your Minnesota Concept. The thin/thick striping contest on the shoulders and pants looks great! I really like that look.

5f6789e7-80cd-4d9b-af90-b70a526ce9c2.jpg

Thanks for all the comments! Regarding the plainness of the American...I think the issue is that the schools don't really have much to work with within their brand. For example, it was mentioned that Tulsa and SMU should be more out there. Tulsa has two logos--the script and interlocking UT--and SMU just has the horse and SMU script. All I could do would be give them some generic, meaningless design that some other team has to (Kind of like Nike and adidas in real life!). That's why I went traditional with so many of these teams.

Tulsa is GORGEOUS.

Also, love the alternate helmet for UCF

Tulsa's color scheme might be my favorite in all of sports. No bells and whistles necessary.

Have to disagree, so many of these teams already try "out there" looks and they don't work. SMU & Tulsa look beautiful with the classic looks IMO.

Everything looks just about perfect to me. The only nitpicks I have are the colored numbers on Ole Miss & Arizona's Home & Alternate uniforms. I just don't think they pop well and it reminds me of high school uniforms. I know why you did it, just not a fan of it personally. Everything still looks great though, easily my favorite series on the boards.

Thanks bigmike! I can see what you're saying with Arizona and Ole Miss, but with the white outlines I think they'd at least be readable, if nothing else.

Tulane

- 3 helmets: white and green with stripes and the T-wave logo, and a green-grey helmet with just the wave (and matching pants). I see the green-grey helmet and pants as a once-a-year look, not as interchangeable with the rest of the set.

%7Boption%7D

Pretty good looks all around. For Tulane though, I'd like to point out that the University unveiled a revamped logo this summer which eliminated the "faded" green shade in favor of a much brighter, lime-shade of green:

tul-lg.png

Additionally, based on the endzones in their new stadium as well as the athletics webpage, they've embraced the checkerboard pattern this season. Maybe that could be incorporated into the unis somehow...

%7Boption%7D

Didn't realize they switched to lime green! I did Tulane back in the spring, so it probably hadn't been released. They've been updated with the new logo and new striping. I got rid of the alternate helmet and pants, because that much lime green would be awful. The blue and lime green had zero contrast, so I limited the lime to the logo and turned the stripes into Northwestern stripes. The cuff striping has been tweaked as well.

Regarding the checkerboard, Tennessee and Kentucky both already utilize the checkerboard, and it doesn't really fit at all with Tulane's identity, so I don't think it would work.

Moving along to the C-USA East!

Links: FAU | FIU | Marshall | Middle Tennessee | Old Dominion | UAB | WKU

FAU

- Returned to the R/W/B/W/R striping on the helmet, jersey, and pants.

- One helmet: white with the "FAU" logo.

- The school's proprietary font used for the numbers. (Thanks to Conrad!)

8NPwZkl.png?1

FIU

- Not much to work with with FIU's brand, so these are pretty simple, but less generic than their current set.

- Added two-color trim to the collar and cuffs and striping to the pants.

- Created a new wordmark based off their "FIU" font, as the wordmark on their current jerseys are outdated.

TzfwLyO.png?1

Marshall

- Got rid of this catalog-order crapola and gave Marshall a classic look that matches their helmet.

- Helmet striping added to the pants and paired with black collar and cuffs. The collar features Marco the Bison!

- Double outlined numbers to match the logo.

- All black alternate added, with modified striping to match how the logo looks on a black background.

fwXwGX8.png?1

Middle Tennessee

- Their current uniforms seem to work well for them, so I kept them pretty similar.

- Tapered stripe used on helmet and pants, with the USC stripes staying on the sleeves. (They don't exactly match USC--I moved them down to the sleeves and put the numbers on the shoulders to make them a little more unique.)

- No more white pants or black uniforms. The silver and blue pants can be used with either uniform.

qWFKnU5.png?1

Old Dominion

- These might be my favorite uniforms in the series so far! ODU has some great brand elements to work with.

- Plain satin silver and blue helmets with the ODU-crown logo.

- The sleeves feature the crown logo over blue, and the pants feature striping that match the logo's colorway.

- I created a custom number font, a standard block with the serifs modified to match the text in the logos.

njaxilE.png?1

UAB

- The helmet still features the oversized dragon logo (which I like), but I moved it up higher, left the color alone, and got rid of the airbrushing.

- I kept scales on the sleeves, but changed them up. They're green on both uniforms and no longer beveled. I also added a pants stripe that's modeled after the neck of the dragon logo.

- "Blazers" returns to the front of the uniforms.

EGpd4n9.png?1

Western Kentucky

- WKU returns to Nike and becomes a red and white team with a little black, as opposed to a red, silver, black and white team. (Though I did add an all black set, because it's not BFBS and looks sweet.)

- I used tapered striping on the helmet and pants, while the sleeves feature stripes that reflect the shape of the logo.

- A new, custom number font based off the logo. (It's a modified Berthold City with shadowing added, of course.)

3saJmP8.png?1

I must say I FREAKING love what you have done with the CUSA E. Those are all gorgeous. FAU had one of my favorite uniforms, and they screwed it up. Marshall is my second team, and I despise the new home uniforms. A lot of people wanted a black uniform when they revealed the new unis, and I wasn't too keen on that, but your design is SEXY. UAB looks great with the slightly modified helmet and non-contrasting shoulders. Western Kentucky looks good, so much better than what they have now, but I still love their set before that, the one more similar to FAU.

Well done!

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Archived