LOGOLYMPIAD 2014

pollux

Logolympiad2014.png

LOGOLYMPIAD is back again! Just like all previous editions, the contest will be broken into a series of events, with award icons for each events, as well as banners for overall winners. You can check the previous installments by using the search feature on the site.

This year's competition will include events that cover both sports and non-sports categories.

Events
I have reverted back to the old format for this year to have a fast pace for the contest. There will be ten events in total, and the categories are:
  • Alternate Logo
  • Alternate Uniform
  • Anniversary Patch
  • Company Logo
  • Crossover
  • Fantasy Team
  • League Logo
  • Time Warp
  • Sporting Event Logo
  • Wordmark
The order of the events has already been determined by a random draw. Events will run for one full week with two events running each week. Events will start on Mondays and Fridays, and will finish the following Mondays and Fridays. The first event will be posted on September 1st. In order to draw more members into joining, here is the full calendar of the contest. I have also put the event category for each date so any member can decide which event(s) to enter.

EventsCalendar.png

Rules
Specific criteria will vary by event, but there is an overlying set of rules for the LOGOLYMPIAD:
  • Any registered board member may enter;
  • Participants are limited to ONE entry per event. You may enter as many or as few events as you like;
  • All entries must be your own original work, unless specified. For example, you may use existing logos and images if it is part of the event's criteria. You may not use anyone else's work for any part of your entry;
  • You may use any template you like, unless a template is provided in the event's criteria;
  • I will serve as the contest's referee, and will answer any questions about rules and event criteria. Questions must be asked within the event thread, and will be answered within the same event thread. I will NOT respond to any questions about an event in a PM, instant message or personal email, so don't contact me directly. Any contact via PM, instant message or personal email will be answered in the event's thread for full disclosure.
  • I will be the judge to any dispute.
Anyone caught cheating or otherwise compromising the integrity of the LOGOLYMPIAD will be disqualified, stripped of awards and/or banished from future participation.

Submitting your entries
Failure to follow the guidelines could result in your entry being inadvertently (or intentionally) excluded from judging.

Entries must be emailed to logolympiad (@) gmail (dot) com prior to the set deadline. Subject line should be the event number (Ex: Event 1). Once you submit your entry, it is considered final.

Entries must be submitted as .jpg, .gif or .png formats. The file name format of the submission is: event#_yourusername.extension (Ex: event1_pollux.png). The file must be attached to your email.

All final entries must be 800x600 pixels with at least 70 pixels of white space at the bottom of the image. This means that your presentation has to fit in a 800x530 pixels window (800 pixels wide by 530 pixels high). I will NOT re-size entries that are not properly done, so make sure it's right.

The background of the entries should be solid white, unless otherwise specified. You must not use gradients, shadows, patterns, lines, etc. on your background.

Do not include your name or any other personal identifiers on your submission. Also, do not watermark your work. I will add a watermark to each entry before they get posted for judging. I will also provide each entry with a number. You are expected to keep the identity of your entry anonymous until the end of the event. If you think you know the identity of another designer, keep it to yourself. Anyone who exposes the identity of themselves or anyone else will be DQ'd.

I will NOT contact you if your entry is wrong, therefore make sure that you comply to these guidelines before submitting your entry.

Judging/Awards
The voting will be open to public voting once the event is officially over. Once the finalists have been posted in the event thread, voting will be open for 3 days.

Judging is open to all board members registered BEFORE August 1st. This is to ensure no one is voting for themselves under an alternate login.

Members may vote once per event and may not vote for their own entry (I'll know if you did, and will not count your vote). You may not disclose the identity of any of the designers of the entries until voting closes.

Voting will be via the 3-2-1 points method. Voters will be asked to post their choice for a gold, silver and bronze winner. Gold votes are worth 3 points, Silver worth 2, Bronze worth 1.

What's at stake
Medal icons will be awarded at the conclusion of voting to the top points-earners, based on the above scoring system. Results will be posted in the event thread.

In the event of a tie, multiple medals will be awarded, at the expense of lesser-value medals. If there are two gold winners, no silver will be awarded; if there are two silvers, there will be no bronze.

If there are 3 or more entries for an event, three medals will be awarded. If there are only two entries, only gold and silver medals will be awarded for the event.

Champion icons will be presented to the top overall winners at the end of the LOGOLYMPIAD and will be determined by total points from weighted medal values - 3 points for each gold, 2 for each silver, 1 for each bronze.

Winners can download the posted medal icons for use in their signatures and on their own websites. Please do not link to the images. If the contest is delayed because the LOGOLYMPIAD account goes over the bandwidth limit, there'll be trouble.

A complete list of event-by-event medal winners and overall standings will be posted in this thread and updated at the close of each event.

The party starts on September 1st. Get some rest until then.

And with that, I hereby declare these games... OPEN!

MedalCount_Event10.png

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im in but what does time warp mean and do we make a logo for a specific team or for what ever team

Time warp means that your design will have to travel through time. For example, in 2012, the time warp was to create an identity set for an NHL Original 6 team as if it was joining the NHL in 2012.

Events will dictate what you have to work on. Some events will be very specific - team name, location, colors - while others will be much more liberal, where you will have to choose some of those items.

I encourage you to use the search feature to look at the previous Logolympiads so you can have an idea about the events.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Just wanted to drop in and say a couple of things.

1. We're all really thrilled to have LOGOLYMPIAD back. It's consistently been one of the best competitions on the boards so to have another installment of it going should really help kick start the uptick in competitions.
  2. As what I expect to be a formality—because I trust pollux to run this as well as he has before—I'll be overseeing this as the representative from the Competition Committee to make sure everything gets run smoothly.

Can't wait to see what some of y'all come up with though.

6fQjS3M.png

This is the first year I've been on the boards, so my first time seeing these games. Sounds awesome, and a you can count me in.

But when do the details for the competitions come out? for example, when will we know what league we are creating the alternate uniform for?

thanks

This is the first year I've been on the boards, so my first time seeing these games. Sounds awesome, and a you can count me in.

But when do the details for the competitions come out? for example, when will we know what league we are creating the alternate uniform for?

thanks

The details for each event will be published in a separate thread every Monday and Friday, starting next Monday (September 1st). The calendar shows when events will take place.

Glad to see this make a comeback!

Thanks to Pollux and the competition council for getting this all put together. I will try to finally participate this time!

Can I do mine hand drawn for some logos

Yes, as long as your submission respects the rules mentioned in the initial post, you can submit hand drawn designs.

thanks

The details for each event will be published in a separate thread every Monday and Friday, starting next Monday (September 1st). The calendar shows when events will take place.

I'm in, and we can do any sport right? Also do we do concepts for different teams for each event or do we do the same team? And what do you mean by Fantasy Team, is it a roster that we create

reading-is-fun-poster.jpg

Seriously, guys. :)

I'm in, and we can do any sport right? Also do we do concepts for different teams for each event or do we do the same team? And what do you mean by Fantasy Team, is it a roster that we create

What drdougfresh said. Every event is a unique event. Otherwise, it would be easy to identify the member from his/her previous entry. Moreover, anyone can enter as many or as few event as they wish. It would not be possible if all events were related.

Archived