Sign in to follow this  
hettinger_rl

Thunder move Tulsa 66ers franchise to OKC, to be renamed the Blue?

Here's the move story: LINK

And the name story comes from CCSLC member mfoster via a USPTO filing for the name Oklahoma City Blue.

I'm fine with the move, but as far as the name change this organization should have a BS flag thrown at it. :wacko: Or at least hire a more creative staff!

I'd expect lighting for the name. Blue makes zero sense.

Why is it necessary to change the team name? Why would you want to?

The Thunder just don't want their D-League team to have a better brand than them, which will be a tough job.

I'd expect lighting for the name. Blue makes zero sense.

agreed.

I got to thinking where this might have come from... Might be this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_Blue_Devils

Obviously they can't go with Blue Devils, so did they just shorten it to Blue?

Oklahoma City's jazz root are long gone, the Deep Deuce district adjacent to Bricktown has long since deteriorated before being recycled and gentrified... so I don't know if this is an attempt to renew the jazz roots or if their just going off the deep end.

Edit: No, I didn't see this post before writing this... I've been at the Red Bull Air Races at TMS all weekend and just getting caught up...

I could understand naming the team after a color if the Thunder had been around for decades and had a really unique color like FSU's garnet, but OKC's been around for less then a decade and use a color (light blue) that's used by three other teams, so it doesn't work at all. OKC Blue: We're a basketball team, not the cops!

Well there are also the reds in the mlb

Right, but they aren't called the BlueS. Blue. Singular. Stupid.

sweet mother of everything holy. that's a new level of awful.