Thunder move Tulsa 66ers franchise to OKC, to be renamed the Blue?

hettinger_rl

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this the NBA gave up the Seattle Supersonics for? :huh: Clay Bennett may be the mos......uh, never mind.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I think my new favorite part is how they named the colors:

M1p4iMh.png

Wouldn't Blue Red be Purple and Blue Yellow be green? Which means Blue Blue is just a blue while blue dark blue is also blue?

I'm confusing myself :P Shouldve moved them to Seattle /sarcasm

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

But really...what would've been wrong with this?

3cipxxt.png

Or, if they wanted to tie it even closer to the main team's branding:

OrRCtnW.png

You could add the "skis" underneath to complete the connection.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Holy cow, that's awful. Have they given any reason as to why they chose "Blue" as a name? Because that's as weird as it gets.

"Blue is one of our primary Thunder colors, but it has become more than just a color for us. It has come to represent the passion, loyalty and unity of our fans and our community in their support for our team. Our players wear it proudly on their uniforms, our fans sport Thunder blue shirts, Thunder blue flags fly across Oklahoma and our statewide Blue Alliance fan groups show their connection to our team and what it stands for," said Brian Byrnes, Thunder senior vice president of Sales and Marketing.

"It is only fitting that our development team, which is such an integral part of our organization, be called the Blue to represent the cohesion it has with the Thunder. We think this new name accurately reflects the enhanced unity between the two teams, which are now geographically and philosophically aligned in Oklahoma City and focused on development."

Yup...weird. Like, "Syracuse Orange" kind of weird.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

To defend dropping the 66ers, you could argue that there's a little bit of brand confusion in having a team with a nickname similar to "76ers" that isn't affiliated with them while there is another nickname similar to "76ers" for a team that is. Still, nothing will ever excuse "Oklahoma City Blue" or their logo.

I could see that, except this is the D-League. The only audience is extremely local, which happens to be the only group that wouldn't be confused by it.

Archived