Sign in to follow this  
hettinger_rl

Thunder move Tulsa 66ers franchise to OKC, to be renamed the Blue?

Starting lineup should come out to Eiffel-65 ONLY NINETIES KIDS WILL GET THIS

Da Ba Dee!

Was thinking the LeAnn Rimes song would suit this team fine.

So this the NBA D-League gave up the Seattle Supersonics Idaho Stampede for? :huh: Clay Bennett may be the mos......uh, never mind.

FIFY.

So this the NBA D-League gave up the Seattle Supersonics Idaho Stampede for? :huh: Clay Bennett may be the mos......uh, never mind.

FIFY.

But the Idaho Stampede still exist...

Starting lineup should come out to Eiffel-65 ONLY NINETIES KIDS WILL GET THIS

Oh, some '70s-'80s kids, too.

And you know, "Iron Man 3" starts off with it, so it isn't completely irrelevant. On second thought. ..

I think my new favorite part is how they named the colors:

M1p4iMh.png

Wouldn't Blue Red be Purple and Blue Yellow be green? Which means Blue Blue is just a blue while blue dark blue is also blue?

I'm confusing myself :P Shouldve moved them to Seattle /sarcasm

There hasn't been this much confusion over color descriptions since Homer spoke of the wine-dark sea.

But really...what would've been wrong with this?

3cipxxt.png

Or, if they wanted to tie it even closer to the main team's branding:

OrRCtnW.png

You could add the "skis" underneath to complete the connection.

Holy cow, that's awful. Have they given any reason as to why they chose "Blue" as a name? Because that's as weird as it gets.

"Blue is one of our primary Thunder colors, but it has become more than just a color for us. It has come to represent the passion, loyalty and unity of our fans and our community in their support for our team. Our players wear it proudly on their uniforms, our fans sport Thunder blue shirts, Thunder blue flags fly across Oklahoma and our statewide Blue Alliance fan groups show their connection to our team and what it stands for," said Brian Byrnes, Thunder senior vice president of Sales and Marketing.

"It is only fitting that our development team, which is such an integral part of our organization, be called the Blue to represent the cohesion it has with the Thunder. We think this new name accurately reflects the enhanced unity between the two teams, which are now geographically and philosophically aligned in Oklahoma City and focused on development."

Yup...weird. Like, "Syracuse Orange" kind of weird.

To defend dropping the 66ers, you could argue that there's a little bit of brand confusion in having a team with a nickname similar to "76ers" that isn't affiliated with them while there is another nickname similar to "76ers" for a team that is. Still, nothing will ever excuse "Oklahoma City Blue" or their logo.

I could see that, except this is the D-League. The only audience is extremely local, which happens to be the only group that wouldn't be confused by it.