Possible NHL Expansion: Logo and Name Ideas

Oso

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's already two NHL teams that have silver stars as the focus of their logo (one of them is even named 'stars')... naming a team "silver stars" is just overkill.

You're right. Here's a couple of team names that have already been used that I think could still work due to their identity being mostly open still...

1. Silver Streaks

2. Silver Bandits

Then some others...

- Silver Strikes

- Silver Bullets

I know I'm ate up on Silver but it's a good part of Las Vegas that avoids gambling (for the most part) and the area 51 image already used by their baseball team. Silver would also be a unique team color even though it's obviously used a lot for stars in logos.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/Toronto_Legacy_logo.png

Toronto_Legacy_logo.png

Hamilton

Ontario \ Hamilton Tigers - Hamilton NHL. from the 1920`s

Ontario Stags

Hamilton Steelheads - TV. show Power Play

Ontario Lions

Hamilton Bombers - The Lancaster Bomber

Hamilton Destroyers - HCMS Haida

Ontario Falcons

Hamilton Steelhawks

Ontario Red Coats - War of 1812

Hamilton Steelers - Steel Industry

Las Vegas

Las Vegas Greenbacks

Las Vegas Bandits

Seattle

Seattle Metropolitans

Seattle Totems

Seattle Thunder

Seattle Cascades

Quebec City

Quebec Nordiques

Quebec Bulldogs

Houston

Houston Aeros

Houston Roughnecks

Houston Longhorns

Houston Hellcats

Kansas City

Kansas City RailRaiders

Portland

Portland Grizzlies

Portland Cougers

You could get away with the "Legacy" thing with something like a NYC baseball team... the legacy there is certainly dominated by the Yankees, but you also have the Mets, the Dodgers, the Giants, etc. In Toronto, it's been almost 100 years of just the Leafs. It's totally obvious that you're riding on the coattails of the other professional team currently operating in the same town.

Whatever the team is named, they should just use Toronto or Hamilton. Using Ontario never looked right to me. Especially considering the arrogance that would stem from claiming to represent Ontario when there are two teams already in the province with roots (direct or not) that go back a century or more.

There are several sports teams that have the State \Province \ Region in there name such as .

MLB.

New York Yankees - New York City

New York Mets - State

Texas Rangers (Dallas) - State

Colorado Rockies (Denver) - State

Arizona Diamondbacks (Phoenix) - State

NBA.

Golden State Warriors (Oakland) - State

NHL.

New York Rangers - New York City

New York Islanders - State

Florida Panthers (Miami) - State

Colorado Avalanche (Denver) - State

Arizona Coyotes (Phoenix) - State

Carolina Hurricanes (Raleigh) - State

NFL.

New York Giants - New York City

New York Jets - State \ New Jersey

Arizona Cardinals (Phoenix) - State

New England Patriots (Boston) - 5 States

Carolina Panthers (Charlotte) - State

CFL.

British Columbia Lions (Vancouver) - Province

Saskatchewan Roughriders (Regina) - Province

There are several sports teams that have the State \Province \ Region in there name such as .

MLB.

New York Mets - State

NBA.

NHL.

NFL.

CFL.

New York is what you call both the city and the state, so that's the one case where it absolutely works. Other than that, I think it just comes down to whether there are any other major teams in your state/province as to whether you can claim to represent it. The Rockies and DBacks don't seem in any danger of facing intra-state competition, so it works fine. Texas Rangers seems presumptuous, but they're named after the law enforcement agency, so it works.

The Warriors should absolutely rename themselves the Oakland Warriors or at least the Bay Area Warriors, because for that team to claim to represent the Golden State (where I lived for most of my life) is ludicrous.

Will there be any more hockey teams in Florida or the Carolinas? I think it seems doubtful enough for the Panthers and Hurricanes to keep their names (for however much longer the Panthers will even exist).

The New England name is sort of cute and is almost like the Texas Rangers in trying to invoke something else, but yeah, there aren't any other NFL teams in all of New England, so they get to claim it.

Now, for the only other Canadian cases. Are there any other CFL teams in BC or Saskatchewan? I really think it's as simple as that, and so because there's already a couple NHL teams in ON, I don't think going with the Ontario something would be a good idea. My suggestion is for them to just look at all the LA and NY teams (Toronto's closest parallels) and stick with being the Toronto something.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

MLB.

New York Mets - State

NBA.

NHL.

NFL.

CFL.

Why are the Mets and Jets the state and Yankees Giants the city? Do the Jets claim Buffalo too then? The Mets and Jets are named after the city. Not the state.

And where are you coming up with New Jersey for the Jets? Sure them and the Giants technically play in New Jersey now, but their both named after the city. Same goes for the Yankees, Mets, Rangers, Islanders, and Knicks. Oh and you forgot all the Minnesota teams.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

MLB.

New York Mets - State

NBA.

NHL.

NFL.

CFL.

New York is what you call both the city and the state, so that's the one case where it absolutely works. Other than that, I think it just comes down to whether there are any other major teams in your state/province as to whether you can claim to represent it. The Rockies and DBacks don't seem in any danger of facing intra-state competition, so it works fine. Texas Rangers seems presumptuous, but they're named after the law enforcement agency, so it works.

The Warriors should absolutely rename themselves the Oakland Warriors or at least the Bay Area Warriors, because for that team to claim to represent the Golden State (where I lived for most of my life) is ludicrous.

Will there be any more hockey teams in Florida or the Carolinas? I think it seems doubtful enough for the Panthers and Hurricanes to keep their names (for however much longer the Panthers will even exist).

The New England name is sort of cute and is almost like the Texas Rangers in trying to invoke something else, but yeah, there aren't any other NFL teams in all of New England, so they get to claim it.

Now, for the only other Canadian cases. Are there any other CFL teams in BC or Saskatchewan? I really think it's as simple as that, and so because there's already a couple NHL teams in ON, I don't think going with the Ontario something would be a good idea. My suggestion is for them to just look at all the LA and NY teams (Toronto's closest parallels) and stick with being the Toronto something.

The Tampa Bay Lightning say hi :P

niagaraq.png

ahh sorry, forgot the Floridian team that actually won the Stanley Cup. I guess the Panthers and the Marlins were part of the same fabric that were trying to claim Florida on behalf of Miami, which is a bizarre thing (for a bizarre state), considering Miami is so unlike the rest of the state (lived in Central FL for 3 years but obvs didn't follow any hockey team there)

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Blackjax- have two cards, one offset- one with a capital "A" for an Ace, and the other with a capital "K" for a King, those two cards of course make up Black Jack.

NO

Well aren't you just a freaking ray of sunshine? Don't be so harsh, it's just a suggestion.

I remember the first time I heard of the Pittsburgh Penguins, I was scratching my head on that one... just look at how long that franchise has been around...

Aren't the Florida Panthers kinda the same like the Texas Rangers where they are named after the animal? Maybe it's just because we are use to it, but sometimes naming a team after the state/province just sounds better than the city, like how Colorado Avalanche sounds better than Denver Avalanche to me.

Archived