Hand-Drawn Basketball Drawings - Jacksonville Stampede (21/32)

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rhinos look simple, albeit good. I'm glad you stayed conservative on the Cutters logo, I was expecting it to be a full out buzz saw logo. And as I hate Pittsburgh teams, this look resonates with me. The E logo looks like an altered Philly Eagles logo. For names, I'd recommend Stampede, Rangers, Outlaws, or Threshers. For an arena name, it could be Food Bank of (City or Province) Arena.

That's what- She

From one hand-drawn fictional-league maker to another, I think you've come to the point where you are really good at what you do. Every concept is high quality, distinctive and fun. When I did hand-drawn concepts, my style changed dramatically from the beginning to the end of a long series like this. I was inexperienced and the more and more concepts I did, the closer my concepts looked to computer-designed concepts. I went from glorified drawings to realistic concepts. Now, you have always produced realistic and high quality concepts. But, since you've really mastered your style, I'm wondering what the next step is.

I would guess that this may be difficult with colored pencils, but I think it would take your concepts to the next level if you worked more on producing clearer wordmarks and logos. For instance, it is very difficult to read the scripts on the Windport City roads, Birmingham roads and Santiago Bay "blackout" alts. Maybe using thin Sharpies would help?

Haha, once again I've got a few. Foresters, Plains, or the Livestock, for the farm workers, and a request for naming rights , the Ranola Dome. Btw love the black-yellow combo, never disappoints.

Thank you, sir! I decided to give a future team the Foresters name, with a similar name to the Plains - the Steppes. Also, what kinda company would Ranola be? That way, I have ideas when I make that company's logo.

The Rhinos look simple, albeit good. I'm glad you stayed conservative on the Cutters logo, I was expecting it to be a full out buzz saw logo. And as I hate Pittsburgh teams, this look resonates with me. The E logo looks like an altered Philly Eagles logo. For names, I'd recommend Stampede, Rangers, Outlaws, or Threshers. For an arena name, it could be Food Bank of (City or Province) Arena.

Thanks for the response, as always! I wanted to stay simple for the Cutters, because, as I stated before, I didn't want to relate the team name with self-harm or the like.

I've never seen that Eagles logo until you mentioned it here! :lol:

As for the name suggestions, let's see...the Stampede sounds really good, and probably the Rangers. I already have a team called the Outlaws (though I'm not sure if you might have noticed it). And you're gonna love the name of this next court!

From one hand-drawn fictional-league maker to another, I think you've come to the point where you are really good at what you do. Every concept is high quality, distinctive and fun. When I did hand-drawn concepts, my style changed dramatically from the beginning to the end of a long series like this. I was inexperienced and the more and more concepts I did, the closer my concepts looked to computer-designed concepts. I went from glorified drawings to realistic concepts. Now, you have always produced realistic and high quality concepts. But, since you've really mastered your style, I'm wondering what the next step is.

I would guess that this may be difficult with colored pencils, but I think it would take your concepts to the next level if you worked more on producing clearer wordmarks and logos. For instance, it is very difficult to read the scripts on the Windport City roads, Birmingham roads and Santiago Bay "blackout" alts. Maybe using thin Sharpies would help?

Thank you for the kind words here, my friend! Honestly, I don't know how I do it, but I'm more than glad that people like you enjoy my concepts the way you do, I really appreciate it! As for computerization of these concepts, I don't think they would turn out as well as if I hand-draw them; I have no graphic design experience at all and I feel that my creativity with a pencil is so much better than my creativity with a mouse.

As for the thin Sharpies, I'll consider looking for those when I get the chance to. That's always one of my biggest pet peeves with drawing; I just can't get light colors to contrast on a dark jersey.

All of the concepts are stellar. The only thing I don't get is the rhinos secondary logo. It looks like a D with a rhino forming the back. I don't get it because their isn't a D in their name. Other than that It's awesome. I love the Estrellars logo!

Thank you! As for the "D"-shaped Rhinos logo, it could fit into the shapes of an "R" or a "B". So it doesn't completely make any sense. Haha...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

For tonight, I have some bears. More specifically, the Valle Buena Bruins of the Heartland Division!

Jerseys:

15846096320_f1b3758e9a_c.jpg

First off, the name. I chose it mostly as an alliterative name. Valle Buena Bruins. Also, it would sorta match the location as Valle Buena is in a mountainous area of the country. The colors are brown for bears and green for trees.

The primary and secondary logos are fairly self-explanatory, but it's the tertiary logo I really like. It looks like a simple "B" logo with slash marks, but I designed the slash marks in a way to create a "VB" monogram in the logo. Subtle, yet very effective in my opinion.

As for the jerseys, I felt that it was a bit plain. But the slash marks for a sorta striping pattern make up for its plainness. The fonts are one I found going through Google, a font called FF Newberlin.

Court:

15847313749_db7fd9b278_c.jpg

A rather unique naming right suggested by mamiller99 gave us the Food Bank of Valestia Arena (Valestia is the state that Valle Buena is the capital city of). It's a fairly simple court, with the secondary logo taking place in center court while the tertiary logo in the 3-point areas, The full, italicized "Valle Buena Bruins" wordmark appears on the baselines while the website (VBbruins.com) and Twitter handle (@VBbruins) are on the sidelines.

As per last time, I'm open to any name suggestions I can get from you guys, and I'll be sure to incorporate y'all's suggestions as best I could.

Enjoy!

~ Daryl

So yesterday, I decided to go to Michael's and get myself some fine-tipped markers to enhance the color in some parts of my concepts and, sure enough, the results were pretty good!

Here's some past team concepts in this series that have been "enhanced" by my new markers:

15210453714_78590721c7_c.jpg
15530450275_2e8cc0c9d3_c.jpg

It sure is really nice how much better these markers make the colors pop out. Thanks for those who suggested me to get these markers!

Also, I'm still taking any responses to the Bruins concept above.

~ Daryl

Huge improvement for Santiago Bay! Moving forward, I'll be excited to see how you incorporate both the fine-tipped markers and balance it with the colored pencil (?) in your concepts.

For Valle Buena, I'm usually not a big fan of claw marks, but I think you made it work. The bear primary logo looks very good.

Huge improvement for Santiago Bay! Moving forward, I'll be excited to see how you incorporate both the fine-tipped markers and balance it with the colored pencil (?) in your concepts.

For Valle Buena, I'm usually not a big fan of claw marks, but I think you made it work. The bear primary logo looks very good.

Thank you! Thanks for the suggestion for me to use these markers. Although I need to be a bit more careful when I use them sometimes...

And I'm glad you liked Valle Buena!

A video game making company, similar to nintendo. Thank you, and happy holidays

I got that your naming rights coming right up! Also, if you'd like a separate version of your Ranola logo, feel free to simply ask!

And happy holidays to you as well!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I got for you guys the Norwood Aeros of the Southeast Division!

Jerseys:

15882612187_a21605ca35_c.jpg

I decided to have fun with the Aeros name my friend suggested to me, although she probably really meant the Arrows. But nevertheless, I gave the Aeros its appropriate aviation theme to represent the area's rich aviation heritage. The color scheme I chose was gray, for the wings of a plane, blue, for the sky, and white, for the clouds, perhaps. The logos are similar to several vintage-style airline logos. The "A" and "N" in the wordmarks and logos are shaped like an airplane tail. On the home and the road, the striping pattern evokes a plane whose "wings" are located on the bottom of the shorts. The number font is similar to the number font seen on airport runways.

Now my favorite part is what I did for the alternate jersey: I made it stylized just like an airport runway. Complete with somewhat-accurate runway markings and white-on-gray wordmarks and numbers.

Court:

15446072964_7ed3270668_c.jpg

Decided to keep it pretty simple for the Ranola Hangar. I chose to call this stadium the "Hangar" because it's totally appropriate for an aviation-themed team. I tried to incorporate a runway motif into the court, which includes a white free throw area, gray within the college lines, and a light-colored wood to try to bring white throughout the court. The primary logo appears in center court, the "Aeros" wordmark appears on the baselines, and the website (aerosbball.com) and Twitter handle (@aeros) appear on the sidelines.

Enjoy!

~ Daryl

This is great. Thanks!!!!

You're welcome! Glad you liked it!

Aeros and Bruins look very good. That Aeros alternate is really cool. Nice job!

Thank you! Glad you like them! The Aeros alt was a fun one to make, in my opinion.

Aero's look very slick and modern. My beef with the Bruins is that the claw striping looks minor league-ish. Thanks for using my name suggestion for the arena, and Miller Entertainment would love to make an arena:)

Certainly the type of vibe I'm going for with the Aeros; much like modern planes. As for the Bruins, I didn't really know what to do to for the striping, so I decided to use the claw striping for it, as if a bear went of and tore the sides of the jerseys.

Yours was certainly an interesting naming right suggestion for the Food Bank of Valestia Arena. Also, I don't know how I'd incorporate another Millenter stadium in a different city, as the Millenter Dome is in the same city as the Food Bank of Valestia Arena. (Now that I realize it, you've named the stadiums for both the Valle Buena baseball team [the Condors] and the Valle Buena basketball team [the Bruins])

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No new team today, but I would like some feedback for the team I'm working on right now.

For the Marina Bay Seagulls, I'm trying to incorporate a seagull as well as a surfing vibe. The colors are yellow, white, and several shades of blue. I have two logos down for now, and I'd sure love some feedback as to where to go from here.

B5bZJR7CIAAEoIV.jpg

B5bZJzqCIAAaYNy.jpg

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

~ Daryl

What if you did a Seagull on a Surfboard? Kinda like St. Louis.

Oh my god, that idea was so cool that I decided to incorporate it for the 'Gulls. Thanks for the suggestion!

I just realized. How fitting for the Ranola Hangar, because my dads a pilot. How cool!

What an awesome coincidence there!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For a little Christmas special, I got for y'all another team done. Here's the Marina Bay Seagulls!

Jerseys:

16097201672_36a3e72d67_c.jpg

Decided to have a little fun with the Seagulls, especially in incorporating the surfing theme. And considering that I live in coastal California, these influences weren't too hard to come by.

For the colors, I slightly modified the colors from my sketches on my last post here. My reasoning for that is to distinguish themselves from the hated (for those in Marina Bay) Portside sports teams, whose colors are blue and yellow. On paper, these looked a very light orange, but they looked more yellow when scanned. At least I tried. Haha...

The logos I had fun with. The primary logo is a simple seagull head on a roundel, with some splashes breaking the complete circular shape. The secondary logo is a surfing seagull. Pretty awesome, ain't it? And the tertiary logo is simply a "MB" monogram on a surfboard.

The jerseys have side stripes resembling a surfboard, mostly the one on the tertiary logo. The road and alt jerseys follow the same template, albeit with light blue and the "yellow", respectively. The throwback alternate incorporates the seagull-on-a-surfboard with the retro "'Gulls" script. The font I used for the Gulls is HT Pizzeria, a surfing-style font I found searching on Google.

Court:

15910640480_184de5de3b_c.jpg

For the Quiksilver Center (a surfing apparel company, itself), I decided that this team just begged for a parquet floor, like that of the Boston Celtics. I decided to give the "yellow" more prominence around this court, with the light blue on the lines. The wildy-popular "surfing seagull" logo is on center court while the tertiary logo is inside the three-point areas. The "Seagulls" script is on the baselines while the website (MBseagulls.com) and Twitter handle (@seagulls) are on the sidelines.

Enjoy and happy holidays!

~ Daryl

PS: I have updated the league map on this thread's second post with several more teams.

Your dedication to this, and your last, series is admirable. As someone who has completed many a hand drawn concepts, it can get exhausting after a while. Nice to see this series continuing unabated. The Seagulls uniforms look great, particularly the alternate. Keep up the good work :)

Guest darkpiranha

Haven't commented in a while, because all of the concepts are just consistently solid. I love the historical detail that goes into each one. Keep it up!

But... to follow up with what Philsfan was saying, while all of these hand-drawn designs are great, and you've become the defacto king of this corner of the concepts kingdom, I think you need to start branching out into computerized design. I know you've stated that you just aren't as good at it, and don't feel as creative as when you are doing it by hand... but I personally feel you're letting your talent go to waste if you don't eventually take the next step into computers. I know you're still very young (sixteen or seventeen, right?), but if you have any thoughts about graphic design as a career, now's the time to make the move. If you have no intention of ever pursuing a graphics design career, then ignore everything I'm saying and by all means, continue to concentrate on doing what you've been doing in this little hobby. But I think you've got WAY more potential than just fun, hobby sports leagues.

I'm not saying abandon hand-drawn, but maybe on one of the next batches of designs, or on the next league you tackle, make the commitment to learning Illustrator or Photoshop or Inkscape at the same time. Do a hand-drawn logo, then do the computer version of it. You've got the greatest community of designers here who will be excited to offer any assistance and advice you would ever need. Don't worry about having to learn the whole program at once. Learn how to specifically convert that first logo from hand-drawn to digital. Then slowly add to your digital skills tool chest as you go along. You've already got the hardest part of it mastered- understanding design. I really think it'll be much much easier for you to get the hang of it than you might think.

If you can do THIS great with paper and pen, you'll be unstoppable with a computer.

Just my two cents. Whatever format you continue to use, I'll be looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Archived