Hand-Drawn Basketball Drawings - Jacksonville Stampede (21/32)

TheGiantsFan

Your dedication to this, and your last, series is admirable. As someone who has completed many a hand drawn concepts, it can get exhausting after a while. Nice to see this series continuing unabated. The Seagulls uniforms look great, particularly the alternate. Keep up the good work :)

Thanks for the kind words, Morgo! Especially from another great hand-drawn artist on here like you! Honestly, the only way making hand drawn concepts is when ideas come dry, even beginning with the names. But otherwise, I do find making these to be fairly enjoyable to me.

And everyone seems to be liking the 'Gulls alt jersey!

Haven't commented in a while, because all of the concepts are just consistently solid. I love the historical detail that goes into each one. Keep it up!

But... to follow up with what Philsfan was saying, while all of these hand-drawn designs are great, and you've become the defacto king of this corner of the concepts kingdom, I think you need to start branching out into computerized design. I know you've stated that you just aren't as good at it, and don't feel as creative as when you are doing it by hand... but I personally feel you're letting your talent go to waste if you don't eventually take the next step into computers. I know you're still very young (sixteen or seventeen, right?), but if you have any thoughts about graphic design as a career, now's the time to make the move. If you have no intention of ever pursuing a graphics design career, then ignore everything I'm saying and by all means, continue to concentrate on doing what you've been doing in this little hobby. But I think you've got WAY more potential than just fun, hobby sports leagues.

I'm not saying abandon hand-drawn, but maybe on one of the next batches of designs, or on the next league you tackle, make the commitment to learning Illustrator or Photoshop or Inkscape at the same time. Do a hand-drawn logo, then do the computer version of it. You've got the greatest community of designers here who will be excited to offer any assistance and advice you would ever need. Don't worry about having to learn the whole program at once. Learn how to specifically convert that first logo from hand-drawn to digital. Then slowly add to your digital skills tool chest as you go along. You've already got the hardest part of it mastered- understanding design. I really think it'll be much much easier for you to get the hang of it than you might think.

If you can do THIS great with paper and pen, you'll be unstoppable with a computer.

Just my two cents. Whatever format you continue to use, I'll be looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Philsphan has recently cleared up to me via PM that what he really was referring to was to use computer programs to simply enhance my hand-drawn concepts, not necessarily to create concepts completely digitally.

I will, however, try one day to make concepts on the computer, but I'm just not sure when. I'll definitely consider it one day!

Thank you for the compliments, I really appreciate it! Honestly, I don't plan on pursuing a graphics design career, as these fictional sports leagues of mine simply act as hobby that serves as an outlet for my creative ideas.

As I stated before, though, thank you!

The seagulls set is just outstanding. The throwback alt is one of the coolest jerseys I've ever seen. Keep up the good work sir.

Thank you so much, my friend! I see that jersey is just as popular in real life as it is in my fictional world. Haha...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy New Year, y'all! After taking a short break doing actual vacation stuff, I'm back and drawing these again. So to start off 2015, I have for you guys a team from the Southern Conference's Eastral (East-Central) Division: the Hastings Steppes!

Jerseys:

16003706638_c4de748114_c.jpg

First off, the name. As Hastings is in the relatively flat central part of Los Altos, I decided (with the suggestion of a friend of mine) to name their basketball team after steppes, a type of flat grassland. However, this rather uninspiring name, in my opinion, gave a challenge on where to base the team's identity around. I decided to give them a wheat and sun motif with the colors of the golden wheat and the brown of the soil.

The logos have, as I stated just not too long ago, a wheat and sun motif, with elements of both appearing in the primary logo. The wheatstalks I decided to design in a way that incorporates an "H" into it (I tried to incorporate an "S" where the sun logo is, that didn't look too good). The sun logo can also be represented as a type of grass bush native to the flat plains of central Los Altos.

For the wordmarks (as well as the numbers), drop shadows are a thing here. I did that to sprucen up the design a bit. The home and the road jerseys feature drop shadows, while the wheat-colored alt jersey does not. I also gave the shorts a pretty unique striping pattern which is at the bottom of each leg instead of down the sides of the shorts.

Court:

15571340573_1292a53fdc_c.jpg

The MKP Center at Parkrose. My friend provided the MKP part and I provided the Parkrose part, as the Steppes' stadium is in the Hastings suburb of Parkrose. The design of the court provides a rather elegant balance of wheat and brown, with brown stripes going down the sidelines with the rest of the court in out of bounds territory in wheat. The odd placement of the secondary logo at mid-court provides for a strange placing of the stadium name. The full "Hastings Steppes" wordmark appears on the baseline while the website (steppesbball.com) and Twitter handle (@steppesLABL) appear on the sideline.

Before I close this post, I would like to ask you guys for help on something. For the St. Catherine basketball team, I'm calling them the Angels. However, I cannot seem to come up with anything somewhat different from the real-life Angels baseball team. The only thing I'm considering right now is going towards a greyish-bluish color scheme of some sort.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions I get for the Angels' identity, and I'll even take some naming rights for their stadium while y'all are at it!

Enjoy!

~ Daryl

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a strong identity! The home uniform especially shines with the drop shadow on the wordmark and the sleeve and shorts striping. Good choice using the secondary logo on the court, too. That completes the balance on the court and it's a unique shape for a center court logo.

For the St. Catherine Angels, I would definitely experiment with a bluish/gray as the primary color and navy blue and gold as secondary colors. Stay away from red would be my only advice.

That's a strong identity! The home uniform especially shines with the drop shadow on the wordmark and the sleeve and shorts striping. Good choice using the secondary logo on the court, too. That completes the balance on the court and it's a unique shape for a center court logo.

For the St. Catherine Angels, I would definitely experiment with a bluish/gray as the primary color and navy blue and gold as secondary colors. Stay away from red would be my only advice.

Thank you! Glad you liked the Steppes!

As for the Angels, I definitely followed your advice and stayed away from the red. I also used those three colors you suggested, as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Dark blue/ light blue or gold/pine green/ navy

Seems to be a second for differing shades of blues, although I wouldn't quite understand the reasoning behind green for the Angels. Anyways, thank you for your feedback as always! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, I have for you guys the St. Catherine Angels of Magainy!

Jerseys:

15615814363_43b6f4521f_c.jpg

For this fictional basketball incarnation of the Angels, I decided to present the halo in a bit more subtle way, as the "border" of roundel logos. Granted, the tertiary logo features an actual halo like the ones of Anaheim, but still. The primary logo features the team's full name (complete with a completely spelled out city name) with a stylized basketball. The secondary logo is a simple roundel logo with the city's initials, while the tertiary logo is the stylized basketball by itself.

I decided to go with basic block fonts for the Angels, complete with a modified, thinner version of the MLB block font (kudos to Conrad for that) as a number font. The collar striping and the striping at the [belt?] of the shorts are supposed to evoke a "halo" around the player. Otherwise, the jerseys are fairly self-explanatory. The secondary logo is featured on the shorts of all three jersey sets.

Court:

15615814553_dfd0e8caaa_c.jpg

GEICO has a large international presence in Los Altos, and its Los Altos division has the naming rights to the Angels' court. First and foremost, the "halo" motif carries over to the court, as shown by the yellow border surrounding the outer perimeter of the court. The team's colors of light blue, dark blue, and yellow are spread evenly throughout the court. The secondary logo takes center court while the tertiary logo is found in the 3-point area. On one sideline is the "Angels" wordmark while the other has the "St. Catherine" wordmark: the sidelines have the website (STCangels.com) and Twitter handle (@STCangels).

Enjoy!

~ Daryl

PS: I've just realized that I've misspelled St. Catherine on the concept. I'll somehow fix it soon enough! Spelling is fixed now!

• 3 weeks later...

Great set! No complaints here. I love the look of the halo motif.

Thank you! Certainly a different route from the baseball Angels, that's for sure,,,

You are probably one of the best drawers I have ever seen! This is amazing!

I love both your hand-drawn baseball and basketball threads! Keep up the good work man!

Thank you very much for the kind words, man! Glad you like both series!

----------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I've taken an unannounced two-week hiatus from these basketball concepts, but now I'm back! Tonight, I have for you guys the Paradise Firebirds!

Jerseys:

15746032554_86ac7931ca_c.jpg

A fire motif is everywhere for the Firebirds, from the wordmark style, number font, and the striping pattern. The primary logo is a firebird/basketball while the secondary logo is a "PF" monogram in the font everything else is in, in the style of a flame. The home and road jerseys are fairly self-explanatory, so I'm gonna explain only the throwback alternate jerseys. These jerseys are from the 70s and are part of the Firebirds' jersey rotation because of their 40th anniversary celebrations this 2014-15 season. All it is is a red jersey with a simplified mountain graphic.

Court:

16367586782_2795911b74_c.jpg

The court of the Valley Solar (VS) Center has been greatly changed as a result of the 40th anniversary festivities. It is a modernized (and orange) version of the old 70s courts, which featured the mountain graphic and the firebirds in the 3-point area, a la New Orleans Pelicans. The "bowtie" secondary logo takes center court, the "Paradise" wordmark on the baseline, and the website (firebirds.com) and Twitter handle (@firebirds) on the sideline.

Before I close this post, I'd like to announce an upcoming project I plan on starting in the not too distant future (I'm not sure when I'd want to start yet). For the past few days, I've been seriously considering starting a hand-drawn soccer league for Los Altos, the Alton Federation of Soccer. That's all I'll speak of it for now. Stay tuned!
~ Daryl

I love the way the bird's wings/flames wrap around the ball in the logo and elsewhere on the court and the font is super creative. The throwback is top-notch too.

I also just noticed how you carried the mountains from the throwback into the current look by putting them on the court. Genius!

Great set! No complaints here. I love the look of the halo motif.

Thank you! Certainly a different route from the baseball Angels, that's for sure,,,

You are probably one of the best drawers I have ever seen! This is amazing!

I love both your hand-drawn baseball and basketball threads! Keep up the good work man!

Thank you very much for the kind words, man! Glad you like both series!

I guess I've taken an unannounced two-week hiatus from these basketball concepts, but now I'm back! Tonight, I have for you guys the Paradise Firebirds!

Jerseys:

15746032554_86ac7931ca_c.jpg

A fire motif is everywhere for the Firebirds, from the wordmark style, number font, and the striping pattern. The primary logo is a firebird/basketball while the secondary logo is a "PF" monogram in the font everything else is in, in the style of a flame. The home and road jerseys are fairly self-explanatory, so I'm gonna explain only the throwback alternate jerseys. These jerseys are from the 70s and are part of the Firebirds' jersey rotation because of their 40th anniversary celebrations this 2014-15 season. All it is is a red jersey with a simplified mountain graphic.

Court:

16367586782_2795911b74_c.jpg

The court of the Valley Solar (VS) Center has been greatly changed as a result of the 40th anniversary festivities. It is a modernized (and orange) version of the old 70s courts, which featured the mountain graphic and the firebirds in the 3-point area, a la New Orleans Pelicans. The "bowtie" secondary logo takes center court, the "Paradise" wordmark on the baseline, and the website (firebirds.com) and Twitter handle (@firebirds) on the sideline.

Before I close this post, I'd like to announce an upcoming project I plan on starting in the not too distant future (I'm not sure when I'd want to start yet). For the past few days, I've been seriously considering starting a hand-drawn soccer league for Los Altos, the Alton Federation of Soccer. That's all I'll speak of it for now. Stay tuned!

~ Daryl

Your welcome! I Like the fire birds a lot, espically the firebird at the three point line. I think a soccer league would be cool too, you should do it!

This is probably the best one of the series so far. The throwback is excellent, and I love what you did with the PF in the wordmark and secondary logo.

I also love how you worked the halo into the basketball for the Angels. Very creative.

championship_banners_sig_by_verasthebruj

History of a Fictional Football League (1989)

Thread - Logos - Uniforms - History

holy crap i just checked this out and this is just as good as your baseball league. very impressive.

he is the best hand-drawer on the forum in my humble opinion

Yes i agree. i love his baseball concepts. by the way, i cannot wait to see yours!

• 2 weeks later...

Awsome set, and totally agree with the soccer drawings. Don't for get to use Hunter Stadium and maybe use YP Stadium as well, since it can also function as football, just like Gillette stadium and Century Link Field!

Hunter Stadium I'm definitely using! I don't know how YP Stadium could work, though...

And if you haven't already, you should check out my soccer thread here!

I love the way the bird's wings/flames wrap around the ball in the logo and elsewhere on the court and the font is super creative. The throwback is top-notch too.

I also just noticed how you carried the mountains from the throwback into the current look by putting them on the court. Genius!

Thank you! I was just sketching out designs for the primary logo and I happened to come across that idea, and then it all happened from there. I personally like the font as well, though it was a bit hard to make it still legible. Glad you like those as well as the throwback!

As for the mountains on the court, I thought that one team just had to jump on that bandwagon going around the NBA! Haha...

The throwback jersey is amazing

Thank you! Glad you like it! :)

Your welcome! I Like the fire birds a lot, espically the firebird at the three point line. I think a soccer league would be cool too, you should do it!

The New Orleans Pelicans provided the inspiration for the firebird being there. Glad you like it!

Also, you can check out my soccer thread if you haven't already!

Good work TheGiantsFan. I like how you did this league based off of a fictional country. That makes this concept more unique than others. Keep it up!

Thanks! I've had this fictional country "built up" since well into my elementary years, just some fertile grounds for some sports leagues!

This is probably the best one of the series so far. The throwback is excellent, and I love what you did with the PF in the wordmark and secondary logo.

I also love how you worked the halo into the basketball for the Angels. Very creative.

Thank you sir! Honestly, I find that logo to be a bit weird, as I myself am not too sure what I was intending for it to be, but I'm glad you liked it!

As for the Angels, I sure distanced it quite a lot from the baseball Angels, indeed!

holy crap i just checked this out and this is just as good as your baseball league. very impressive.

he is the best hand-drawer on the forum in my humble opinion

Yes i agree. i love his baseball concepts. by the way, i cannot wait to see yours!

Thanks, guys! I really appreciate the kind words!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, I have for you guys the first team in the Southern Conference's Prairie Division, the Jacksonville Stampede!

Jerseys:

16283631357_d8f1929961_c.jpg

The Stampede has a fairly simple design, with italics and the underline to convey motion. The primary logo combines the steer head with the wordmark, while the secondary logo combines the steer head and the team initials, which kinda even looks like a sitting bull! The tertiary logo is simple "JS" and "S" by itself. It was a bit of a challenge for me to distance this team away from the Chicago Bulls, and I think I've done a good job of keeping the two team identities far apart.

As for the jerseys themselves, they're fairly simple and pretty self-explanatory, with a balance between red and brown. The alt jersey has a taupe base with a red stripe in the style of the wordmark underline (in design speak, it's explained this way: "The red line signifies the stampede and power of the free-roaming cattle across the vast prairies of the state of Rialto.")

Court:

15849444753_cf4f32f045_c.jpg

The court inside Mitchell's [an Alton beer brand] Arena is as equally simple as the jerseys. The secondary logo appears over center court with the "S" tertiary logo inside the three-point area. The "Jacksonville" wordmark appears on one baseline while "Stampede" appears on the other baseline. The website (thestampede.com) and Twitter handle (@stampede) appear on the sideline.

Enjoy!

~ Daryl

Do you use different court colors? If so, the Stampede should have the lightest so that the logo stands out the best (if it already is, my bad). Also, it could be kinda cool on the alternate if the steer head was placed on the end of the stripe. However, I do really like the simplicity of the alternate as it is. I think both options would look great. Overall, another great set.

CottonBowl_zpsc664d73a.png

4vAzk2u.png

Star championship signature credit to packerfan21396

Archived