LOGOLYMPIAD - EVENT 1 VOTING

pollux

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pollux, could you list the point totals for everyone, so we can see how we finished if we weren't in the top three?

I don't see the point of publishing the list, especially since this is an open vote. You can tally up the points if you like.

Pollux,

One question - that I didn't want to bring up during the voting - but why were "warnings" issued for the submissions with text. I saw nothing in your rules stating that text with a team name couldn't be used.

Submissions were meant to be completely anonymous, and texts could give out an indication about the member. Any font choice, layout, or template, for example, could hint at someone being able to identify the member. I added a note about text in event 2 and this addition will be there for the remainder of the competition.

I also gave out warnings for Event 1 because I wanted everyone to understand the rules and have to submit at least once. Now that event 1 is done, I will disqualify people for not following the rules. They are there so that people have an even playing field, and to let the best design win.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Pollux,

One question - that I didn't want to bring up during the voting - but why were "warnings" issued for the submissions with text. I saw nothing in your rules stating that text with a team name couldn't be used.

Submissions were meant to be completely anonymous, and texts could give out an indication about the member. Any font choice, layout, or template, for example, could hint at someone being able to identify the member. I added a note about text in event 2 and this addition will be there for the remainder of the competition.

I also gave out warnings for Event 1 because I wanted everyone to understand the rules and have to submit at least once. Now that event 1 is done, I will disqualify people for not following the rules. They are there so that people have an even playing field, and to let the best design win.

Yeah, I understand and agree that the warnings were the right thing to do...I just would have never thought of adding text like the team name as a possible identifier. I made sure to use the same font as I did in the concept just for the sake of continuity. Good to know that you don't want text of any kind (other than what would be necessary in the concept) going forward. Thanks for the clarification.

gYH2mW9.png

Voting is over! Hooray! Congrats to the medalists for this round.

As promised, wanted to share a few of my thoughts on my favorite three entries.

Entry 13 (drdougfresh): Definitely my favorite concept of the bunch. Loved the jersey designs (though I would've dropped the orange striping on the road and gone for a "white tiger" look) and thought they did a good job of being fresh, innovative, and still clean.

Entry 1 (BlackBolt 3): This is pretty much what I would've done had I entered but a hell of a lot better. The crisp, clean look really set it apart from the litany of concepts trying to go down this path and it just looked good. Well done and congrats on the win.

Entry 25 (mattb6): It's not innovative or out there in any sense but to me, this perfectly represents a CSKA concept. Clean, crisp and it looks good.

6fQjS3M.png

Good idea Crash!

My top three, in no particular order:

Entry 1 (BlackBolt3): First submission I received, and within hours of starting the competition. I was amazed to see this level of quality in a short amount of time. The uniforms are clean and clever, without playing too much on the tiger stripes. Very well balanced.

Entry 21 (GeauxColonels): I liked the idea of using the team logo roundel to put the numbers on the front of the uniforms. I thought it was clever and very well executed.

Entry 30 (aeargle): I really liked its simplicity and clean lines. The diagonals added just a bit of originality the two-colors design needed.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Entry 21 (GeauxColonels): I liked the idea of using the team logo roundel to put the numbers on the front of the uniforms. I thought it was clever and very well executed.

I appreciate the high praise. As I was looking through the teams of the KHL, as soon as I saw the logo I had the idea to incorporate it in the numbers. The one thing I went back and forth on was whether or not to elevate the numerals so that the tops of the digits blended into the black circle at the top as the "A" does in the logo. I liked the idea of the continuity between the logo and the number treatment....but the vertically unbalanced look it created just bothered me way too much. I didn't want to get too buy on the sides of the unis...but, in hindsight, I probably could have done something more than just color blocks.

gYH2mW9.png

I'd like to go ahead and give a little bit on insight on all of the entries so that everyone can get an idea of what people were looking for and thinking when viewing and voting. The approach I took was to look over all entries prior to even thinking about rankings. Then, I went back over them again, this time with several designs in mind that really stood out to me after the initial go around.

1 BlackBolt3 - SILVER - It's already been mentioned, but the execution here was flawless. The tiger motif isn't too overpowering. And, in my opinion, this design would fit in the NBA right now.
2 MBVSWB - The presentation needs to be better here. The lines are pixelated and the uniforms are vertically compressed.
3 alexo - A good look, but there was nothing here that made the design stand out in my memory after viewing all of the entries.
4 LMU - A very clean look, very well done. But it was a little too bland. I would have liked to have seen the sky blue worked into both uniforms.
5 suplauren - A nice design. I like how the lines on the sides of the jersey and shorts matched up with the logo. I wasn't a big fan of the number font though and the text on the front of the red jersey is practically lost.
6 dado - Not a bad look or execution, but it was a bit too safe for me.
7 TRoyConcepts - This set was good as well, but I think there were a bit too many stripes. Eliminating the stripes on the shoulders would have helped the look.
8 nas1787 - BRONZE - The slightly angled chest stripes really stood out to me after my first look through. And I really liked the application of the stripes on the shorts. I think a stronger numeral font would have helped.
9 dsaline97 - This is a great design. I really have no suggestions. It just didn't stand out from the pack for me.
10 derschwigg - The oversized logo application to the sides was an interesting alternative to tiger stripes, but it was just too 1990s to me.
11 JTswag187 - I think a side view of the jersey and shorts would have given me a better idea of what was really going on with the colors. But the used of the angled line on the front didn't seem to match up with the rest of the lines on the uniform. I also wasn't too sure the numeral font worked with the rest of the design.
12 Don_Kay - A very classic look. I like the use of the logo on the white with the Cyrillic text on the front of the blue. The logo and angled block at the bottom of the shorts was also a nice touch. But a sash across the front is just too soccer for me.
13 drdougfresh - A very solid identity. For me, there wasn't enough white on the white uni. I think Crash mentioned that perhaps the orange stripes should have been white.
14 Eric Westhaven - A good design. Very similar to others, but the execution wasn't on par with those.
15 officeglenn - An OK look. Again, more stripes for this team. I'm starting to think that the inspiration must be coming from what the hockey sweaters look like.
16 Braden - I REALLY liked this one. It was probably top 5 or 6 for me. But there was just something about it that seemed incomplete. Maybe it was the asymmetric striping...but I actually like the idea there.
17 Lights Out - A nice, tame design...but a little too bland for me.
18 lancealot - I think the execution here could be improved by curving the striping on the shorts to better flow with the edge of the shorts. Also, I absolutely hate sleeved basketball jerseys...maybe that's a bit harsh, but it certainly factored into my voting.
19 GoNordiques - A unique design, no doubt. I think the angle of the numerals was just too extreme for me. Also, I didn't understand bringing the leg stripe to a point.
20 McCraeWilliamsProductions - All I could think when looking at these was "cheerleader" unis. The bib look just doesn't work bor basketball, IMO. Also, the template was rather odd.
21 GeauxColonels - Mine
22 STL_ArchMadness - GOLD - A great design using the two-tone blue of the club and the striping combined with the color blocking really balanced the uniforms nicely. This one immediately stood out to me.
23 eagle98 - A safe design. The striping down the sides was a bit too busy for me and I think a different, maybe italicized, number font would have helped.
24 bkknight95 - Again, a safe design. Maybe I was harsh on this one because I picked the same club, but I think something more could have been done. I also think the design could have used more black to balance out the look.
25 mattb6 - A fine design here. The simplicity of it fits in well with the club....but there is still enough going on so that it's not "bland." I liked the inclusion of the star at the base of the collar.
26 Ben5 - A similar idea here as in entry 25. The jersey is great. It gives a nice, New York Knicks vibe...but the shorts just don't go with the jersey. The wide stripes on the legs just don't make sense to me with the thin piping on the jersey.
27 panthers_2012 - The tiger stripes on the side are too big. And, overall, the execution needs work. Again, the look is just way too pixellated for me. Lastly, the large horn stripe on the shorts doesn't really seem to go.
28 Orange Crush - A very, very nice look. But nothing stood out for me with this design after going through all of the entries. That's probably not a reflection of the execution of the design, but probably more a result of the two-color scheme the club uses.
29 macalesterscots - I really like the idea of incorporating the anchors into the striping on the shorts, brilliant. But, again, pixellation rears its ugly head.
30 aeargle - This is another well-executed concept. The sash look, as I've said before, screams soccer to me but it still works here. It just feels like the shorts are missing something.
31 AntCurtain - A FANTASTIC design. Unfortunately for the designer, this was 4th on my list. The used of the diagonals on the jersey is a great idea. But when the task calls for a white uniform, I expect to see white shorts too.
32 Naoned Pride - SNOWFLAKE OVERLOAD.
33 davidmiller5 - This was top 5 for me....and, in all honesty, probably should have been higher. The execution of the pattern on the shorts is incredible.

gYH2mW9.png

Congrats on the gold, BlackBolt! Looking forward to more great concept work in the coming events.

RE: the white tiger idea -- I started out like that, but it looked really odd, since the only orange was clustered in one spot on the front (number and wordmark). That orange band gave it a clean, retro vibe that grew on me, anyway :)

Entry 1 (BlackBolt 3): This is pretty much what I would've done had I entered but a hell of a lot better. The crisp, clean look really set it apart from the litany of concepts trying to go down this path and it just looked good. Well done and congrats on the win.

Entry 1 (BlackBolt3): First submission I received, and within hours of starting the competition. I was amazed to see this level of quality in a short amount of time. The uniforms are clean and clever, without playing too much on the tiger stripes. Very well balanced.

1 BlackBolt3 - SILVER - It's already been mentioned, but the execution here was flawless. The tiger motif isn't too overpowering. And, in my opinion, this design would fit in the NBA right now.

Thanks guys, I can really thank a free Labor Day for this one. And Doug, if I voted, yours would've been my gold.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

28 Orange Crush - A very, very nice look. But nothing stood out for me with this design after going through all of the entries. That's probably not a reflection of the execution of the design, but probably more a result of the two-color scheme the club uses.

Thank you. After I submitted it I had come up with another idea to spruce up the striping, but it was too late. I need to think a little bit more out of the box to separate my concepts from the rest (in a good way of course). I'm still trying to get my feet wet by dabbling with different elements. I just need to be more open to doing something wild.

Thank you. After I submitted it I had come up with another idea to spruce up the striping, but it was too late. I need to think a little bit more out of the box to separate my concepts from the rest (in a good way of course). I'm still trying to get my feet wet by dabbling with different elements. I just need to be more open to doing something wild.

I'm the same way. I just used some blocks of colors on the sides of my unis....in hindsight, I could have done more with those parts.

gYH2mW9.png

I was a little curious to know how hard I failed (the snowflake attempt, 32 !), so I counted the votes. Might do it for the 2nd event since pollux doesn't want to do it.

1. Entry 1 (53)

2. Entry 13 (47)

3. Entry 22 (29)

4. Entry 9 (22)

5. Entry 19 (21)

6. Entry 31 (18)

7. Entry 33 (14)

8. Entry 8 (11)

9. Entry 21 (8)

10. Entry 18 (7)

11. Entry 17 (6)

12. Entries 5, 10, 11, 14, 20 (5)

17. Entries 7, 24, 30, 32 (4)

21. Entries 3, 12 (3)

23. Entries 4, 15, 22, 29 (2)

27. Entries 25, 28 (1)

29. Entries 2, 6, 16, 23, 26, 27 (0)

Where do I come from ?

1399006447-sig1.png

Who do I support ?

1399006379-sig2.png

I was a little curious to know how hard I failed (the snowflake attempt, 32 !), so I counted the votes. Might do it for the 2nd event since pollux doesn't want to do it.

1. Entry 1 (53)

2. Entry 13 (47)

3. Entry 22 (29)

4. Entry 9 (22)

5. Entry 19 (21)

6. Entry 31 (18)

7. Entry 33 (14)

8. Entry 8 (11)

9. Entry 21 (8)

10. Entry 18 (7)

11. Entry 17 (6)

12. Entries 5, 10, 11, 14, 20 (5)

17. Entries 7, 24, 30, 32 (4)

21. Entries 3, 12 (3)

23. Entries 4, 15, 22, 29 (2)

27. Entries 25, 28 (1)

29. Entries 2, 6, 16, 23, 26, 27 (0)

Thanks for doing this.

award%20sig.png

The reason I went with sleeved uniforms is 1. Because I thought noone else would do it making my entry unique (I was right)

2. It's Adidass latest thing they try to force all there teams into

3.it's the type of thing a euro league team would do

But thanks for the feedback

Archived