MLB Changes 2015

TVIXX

I can only assume that the White Sox are wearing throwback hats with their throwback jerseys today. Does anyone know where I can buy one? MLB's website yields nothing.

If you're talking about the one pictured here...

48407120150660A_White_Sox_at_Cubs.jpg

here's one version and here's another. They're in the "Cooperstown" category in the caps listings on the MLB Shop site.

They have the authentic, in regular and low crown. I posted a link above.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The White Sox's road greys, even after the recent downgrades, are among the best uniforms in baseball.

Yeah, I've never had the impression that folks around here were "down on" them. In fact, I think we've been down on how often the White Sox wear their black alt. I agree with Roman that the recent changes, while minor, were obvious enough downgrades to boggle the mind as to why they were done. But it's still a solid uniform.

Someone can probably set me straight on this, but I feel like they are wearing the grays now more than they were a few years ago when it seems like the black alt came out for nearly every road game. The White Sox, when keeping the alt alternate, are a well-dressed team (but yeah, get the sock back on the sleeve).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yes. The marketing department made a concerted effort to have the team wear black less. It was always up to the starting pitcher, but they'd have years where they wore black 75% of the time on the road (and 50% at home). I'm pretty sure they wore black jerseys 110 times in 2011. Mark Buehrle in particular used to prefer to wear black. After he left before 2012, they reduced the black to alternate status, and I believe didn't wear it until June. It was refreshing to see. Since then it has been just an alternate with them only breaking it out sporadically. That's a good thing. But the next time they go on a winning streak in the black jerseys, they'll resume wearing them 75% of the time, as history shows.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Pizzaman - For some reason this browser won't let me quote today. I imagine the writing is black. However, on the jerseys from that era, the black felt used on the numbers did have a bluish hue to it. Still, I don't imagine they were trying to reproduce that.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Here's a story of a New Era failure that inadvertently works out. I went today to buy one of those New Era Sox '59 throwback caps. I have an American Needle version, but it's 12 years old and all mucked up. So, after wading through the caps and seeing several in my size with defects, I found a good version in my size. I then got it home and realized that New Era broke up the X. The bar which touches the O is a solid piece outlined in red, and the other bar of the X is broken up and doesn't touch it. You can see in this picture. There's a thin red line separating the two white portions of the X.

American Needle was able to correctly render the connected X. So, New Era seemingly messed up another logo due to their bad hugely-raised embroidery. I figured I would just return this cap and buy another American Needle. However, I looked up some pictures of Nellie Fox. As it turns out, the hat logo was not consistent in those days. Some years had that basic logo with rounded corners. Some had the X in front of the O, some behind the O. Also, some had the X broken up like this, and some with the opposite piece of the X solid. I assume these were cap-to-cap inconsistencies, rather than the team actively tweaking the logo multiple times. So, in spite of themselves, New Era produced an accurate hat here. It could be that New Era painstakingly researched and reproduced the tiny flaws of 1950's embroidery, but I'll just assume they messed up from the vector logo and it happened to be historically accurate.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I was out last night so I'm just getting around to watching Baseball Tonight now. Two observations...

Where did this hat come from? Is this a knockoff?

10cjfk9.jpg

Also, I know a lot of people are down on the White Sox away grays. I've never had a problem with them, but much like the Detroit Tigers, I think they look very good. However, the throwbacks they wore yesterday are great and with a white outline I would have no problem seeing those become the new away.

I'm pretty sure it's a knockoff. You can find knockoffs easily at street markets around Asia all the time. And in this case, this guy and his friend are Koreans there to watch Jung Ho Kang play, seeing the friend's Nexxen Heroes Kang jersey. Being Korean and having lived in Korea, I know that Koreans tend to make knockoffs for teams that Korean players play for and sell them in the streets.

The worst thing is that save for the obvious issues with the quality of the cap, the design is actually a lot better than what they're rolling out. I wish they could at least throw a little more colors in the actual one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In other New Era blunders, they've released hats for a late '70s throwbacks the White Sox will apparently be wearing this year. Although it's the same wordmark as currently used on their alternate (1983) caps, this cap has a distinctly different version. It's much, much thicker and the logo is distorted because of it.

EDIT: As previously discussed, New Era incorrectly has navy thread over the white portion of the 1983 caps (as they do with black thread on the Orioles' home caps). This is despite the fact that 1) the caps from that era had clear stitching over the white; and 2) The reproductions New Era made in 2003 and 2008 had clear stitching over the white; and 3) they have no problem using clear stitching on the current alternate BP caps. Also a mistake, they use the lighter navy instead of the dark shade the team used in that era. New Era is something else.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I bought that hat a few years back in the American Needle version at Grandstand for about $25. Rendered properly and a perfect fit. It's not that hard to do, New Era!

Related: This winter at a Lids, I saw racks of New Era '83 Sox caps with the "SOX" on the front in the 1991-present block wordmark. Full price 59Fifty "Authentics".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Sorry if this already have been posted, but I just realized that the All-Star jerseys are now solid colors on both front and back, while the "shoulders/sleeves" are the opposite color.

It's still not exactly what I want to see from an All-Star game, but at least it's a step in the right direction, compared to 2014.

I haven't even noticed that the All-Star jerseys use a new template. Maybe a fresh batch of BP uniforms is incoming for next season?

I thought the same thing, but new BP jerseys cam out for the 2014 season I thought. Maybe we will be surprised.

Oh no... Oh dear no...

We've discussed in the past the way the All-Star caps have had a gimmick based on the host. We wondered what San Diego might do next year. We also talked about the idea of next year's logo perhaps showing off what the team has planned.

But, I just had a terrible thought. What if the way the Padres are planning on marketing themselves for next year's midsummer classic is... camo? Camo caps and uniforms for everyone. Camo or military themed logo.

*shudders*

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh no... Oh dear no...

We've discussed in the past the way the All-Star caps have had a gimmick based on the host. We wondered what San Diego might do next year. We also talked about the idea of next year's logo perhaps showing off what the team has planned.

But, I just had a terrible thought. What if the way the Padres are planning on marketing themselves for next year's midsummer classic is... camo? Camo caps and uniforms for everyone. Camo or military themed logo.

*shudders*

Quick, delete it before the padres see it!!

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

Oh no... Oh dear no...

*shudders*

It would be terrible, but now that you've said it, I completely expect it. Would not shock me at all.

Archived